Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase some reloading equipment so I can reload .45 and now .223. However I have a question... Can I reload my nato 5.56mm brass? Do they sell 5.56mm dies and equipment to reload 5.56?

Is it cheaper to reload .223/5.56mm ammo or to just buy ammo of similar quality? :shock:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
You reload 5.56 with .223 dies... they're the same thing.
Yep, you can reload mil-spec brass, but you need to chamfer the primer hole first. Most military brass has their primer pockets peened so the primer can't come out - or a new one go in! It's a simple matter to take care of.
Reloading is almost ALWAYS cheaper... it's just that you tend to shoot more!
Nothing's going to bring out the accuracy potential of your rifle (or pistol) like a load tailored for it. So, I'd say reload away!
Flyer

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
I've been reloading 5.56 military brass for years. It's my favorite brass because it tends to be a bit thicker than commercial stuff. A standard set of .223 dies will do the job and you'll likely need a primer pocket tool to decrimp the pockets the first time you reload them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re:

Flyer said:
You reload 5.56 with .223 dies... they're the same thing.
Yep, you can reload mil-spec brass, but you need to chamfer the primer hole first. Most military brass has their primer pockets peened so the primer can't come out - or a new one go in! It's a simple matter to take care of.
Reloading is almost ALWAYS cheaper... it's just that you tend to shoot more!
Nothing's going to bring out the accuracy potential of your rifle (or pistol) like a load tailored for it. So, I'd say reload away!
Flyer
Will I be able to reload .223 for less than $3.40/20 rounds? I can get the value packs at walmart for $6.75

Thanks fellas

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re:

Midiman said:
I don't reload for cost considerations... I reload for accuracy. I'm a competitive shooter and need the accuracy that only a hand tuned load can provide.
Sorry I am trying to reload for cost effectiveness and get better accuracy. Mainly cost effectiveness...

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
It depends mostly on what bullet you're using.
Say two cents per primer, five cents for bullet, two cents (if that) for powder = 9 cents.
Flyer

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
It depends mostly on what bullet you're using.
Say two cents per primer, five cents for bullet, two cents (if that) for powder = 9 cents.
Flyer
2 cents per primer is pretty dead on... my bullets cost closer to .15 - .18 cents a piece. The only way to save money by reloading is to use unjacketed lead bullets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts