Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to mount a red dot on my Sub2k. Unfortunately it seems I missed the chance to buy them through Vern on ktog and he can't get the rails anymore.

So, I guess my other alternative is to do it myself. Anyone have any tips in what materials and process I'd use to mount the red dot up above the factory sights?

Thanks.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Gun Nut 2K1's our resident Sub accessory expert; he should be along shortly to help you along!
Flyer

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is my understanding the factory mount only adapts 1" scopes, which does not work with red dot sights. All of the red dot sights I have seen are larger than 1 inch in diameter and designed to be mounted on rails.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I bought a Marlin mount rail for the red dot scope which had a couple screw holes in it for $11 at Wal-Mart.

But, it needs to be raised about an inch off the gun. So I bought a 1x1x12 square aluminum 6061 bar for $5 off some metals website.

I'll cut down the aluminum bar to 1x1x5.5 when I get it, drill the holes to match the Marlin rail, then drill holes in the foreend, and use some long bolts/nuts/washers to hold it all together.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

Frangible said:
But, it needs to be raised about an inch off the gun. So I bought a 1x1x12 square aluminum 6061 bar for $5 off some metals website. I'll cut down the aluminum bar to 1x1x5.5 when I get it, drill the holes to match the Marlin rail, then drill holes in the foreend, and use some long bolts/nuts/washers to hold it all together.

Good Idea Frag. That will work. The main issue with it is you loose the SUBs ability to fold. Also the nuts in the forearm will spin unless you can hold them. The idea for mounting a rail to the forearm came from a SUBster on KTOG, but I did not like mounting with screws so I made two aluminum rails to go inside the forearm and then tapped them to accept the standard rail screws. By simply loosening the screws the forearm can still be removed and the gun retains the folding option. I used a riser from a AR site to bring the scope up. others have used extra tall rings and short blocks to raise the scope as well. Here is a pic of my SUB in full dress.

BTW if you look close you'll see the modified Folding charging handle, and the shortened SUB grip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Folding charging handle

Gun_Nut_2k1,
Did you make that folding charging handle?
I was thinking about that very subject this weekend and even made a few drawings.
:idea: If it's just a one-off, you should get together with "southern" at blueforcegear.com and sell that!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

USGuns said:
Gun_Nut_2k1, Did you make that folding charging handle? I was thinking about that very subject this weekend and even made a few drawings. :idea: If it's just a one-off, you should get together with "southern" at blueforcegear.com and sell that!
Why yes I did design and manufacture that little folding handle. It works great. I am making one for a friend and redesigning it as well. It uses a ball detent to stay folded now, but I want it to be spring loaded. It costs around $10 to make and takes about 3 hours if you want to make it pretty. I could make a working version in about 1 hour it just would not be all smooth and contoured.

Midiman said:
What? No bayonet? How ya gonna flip the steaks??
HAHA but you know I have to wait till the ban goes away before I can mount the bayos to my rifles. Although I do have the plans all drawn up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I finished it.

Good... now keep your graphic attachments at 640 pixels in width or less - Midiman

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's pretty weak Midiman, I'm not going to keep editing it until I find something you like, so you just lost yourself some board content. I posted that on behalf of people who might do it, oh well.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Frangible,
There are pic size requirements posted in the Admin section. If your pic was removed, it's because it didn't meet them.
No one's asking you to "Choose" a pic; we assume you've got the means to resize/reconfigure them to fit the requirements.
We need to conserve space, and we can't do it with large attachments.
All you need to do is read the sizing instructions and re-post.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Frangible,

Rather than attaching your photo to your post, consider using a hosting service like www.photobucket.com -- then you can link to your photo. That way, no memory on the KTRange server is used and the hosting service usually automatically adjusts your photo in term of size. Photobucket is free and I use it often as below:

·
Registered
315 Posts
yeah, I use photobucket too and donate to it
then you can make your pics as big as you want as long as it's under 250kb, although I hate to have to scroll so make it fit on a 1024x768 :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Frangible:

I have spent numerous (I mean NUMEROUS) hours downloading and editing file attachments that do not meet the requirements posted in the admin section for graphic attachments so that they fit on our pages at a screen resolution of at least 1024 width without having to scroll back and forth to read the text of ALL the other posts in a thread afftected by graphics which are too wide. I'm tired of it and my time is being limited by other pursuits. If you follow Fly&Scuba's advice, it will only save us web hosting space for your graphics and the requirement that they be no wider than 640 pixels still stands. All you need to do is resize the thing and edit your post to attach the new version, at which point, you may remove my comment. Or... you can moan and whine all day long... I care, not.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
All you need to do is resize the thing and edit your post to attach the new version, at which point, you may remove my comment. Or... you can moan and whine all day long... I care, not.
Hmm...
Midi, we're really gonna have to work on your ability to say what's on your mind. 8)
Flyer

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
Hmm...
Midi, we're really gonna have to work on your ability to say what's on your mind. 8)
Flyer
Naw, I like to keep 'em guessing.

But really...you can post the rules, which no one reads. You can make friendly, subtle reminders over and over again to hundreds of different people... OR, you can roll up your sleeves and be really nice and do ALL the work FOR them...

Or... you can put an occasional head on a pike and make an example that somebody will notice. It was nothing personal, Frangible... I didn't intend you to take it that way. It was a good (large) pic and I hope you repost it.

Incidentally, the software for the board is SUPPOSED to enforce our restrictions on file attachments but that section of the code simply doesn't work. If it did, there would be no need for any of this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts