Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am i missing something? i cannot get the recoil springs and rod compressed and re-installed in my p3at. i'm afraid i'm going to kink the springs. what am i doing wrong? i've never had this much trouble with any gun. just messed with it a half hour and finally layed it down out of frustration. i feel like a dork. :roll:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I try to support the rod/springs as much as possible using multiple points of contact. I use my index fiber to guide the tip, my thumb and middle finger to guide the base and my ring finger to push the rod and compress the springs.

Hope it helps.

P.S. Now that my springs are too weak to move the slide into battery it is much easier to get the guide rod back into place. :lol: . Just a little humor to try to lighten your frustration.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
It's a real pain it the patoot! It helps to have something that can hold the slide for you. Since I don't usually feel like moving over to my vise... I find holding it between my knees suffices. I compress the springs with my left hand, holding the rear of the rod with my right until a lot of bare rod is visible... and then guide the bare end into the guide rod rentention hole in the slide... then pinch the skin on the right thumb putting the rod in place on the back of the barrel lug.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
recoil springs

i'm sorely in need of some humor for my patoot. finally got that rascal back together. was cleaning up the bench and guess what i found? the ejector! i tried to slash my wrists but my knife was too dull. took a warm shower and my wife massaged my temples until i stopped trembling. am i correct in that the p3at does not have double strike capability? fired it on a snap cap and have to hand cycle the slide in order to reset the trigger. was incorrect in ser. # post, it is h5dxx. i'm beginning to think the gun gods are getting even for sending me a perfect p11. going to wait to go to the range until my bersa extensions arrive. i can only get 1 1/2 fingers on the grip.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ejector

yea i know. i was just too frazzled to take it apart again.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
p3at

finger rests arrived today. what an improvement in the grip! feed ramp has a mirror finish,rails lightly sanded and polished and trigger stop in place. assembly pin snaps smartly into place. my ramp lips (from factory) look exactly like flyer's in his picture. will be interesting to see if i get smilies as i have a box of win. 95 grain solids with a flat meplat that is pretty wide. almost look like wad cutters. model #q4206. will let you know results tommorrow when i get back from range. going to use kt range targets! :D

·
Registered
467 Posts
Assembly Pin

Byron,

Kinda keep a eye on your assembly pin while shooting, I have no problem with my assembly pin walking out using Hydra-Shok or PMC, but when I used the Cor-Bon it walked out on me!, I called kel-tec and they sent me two of their newer ones and I have not tryed them out yet.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Just an idea here guys, but if the spring it hard to remove why not make it captive? Similar to how Ruger does the Hammer spring. Take the rod apart and drill a small hole just this side of the end of the Rod. This assumes you have a steal Rod, but this would allow the Spring, Rod, and Rod guide to be removed as a unit for general cleaning.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
p3at

diamond, i think the corbon is pretty hot. consequently i dont plan on using any. the p3at is so small and light i dont feel it's really built for it. when you consider the mass of other .380's compared to the kel-tec there's nothing to compare it to. i wont shoot 3" shells in my light 20 ga. double although it's bored for them. i think we may be making our problems by subjecting the pistol to that kind of battering. when you consider the selection of ammo available i think we can find adequate performance in a round that wont over tax the gun. in any event today will tell the tale. the "at" is ready for it's debut! i guess you could say that i'm wildly optimistic. rest assured that i'll let every one know. :D

gun,i dont have calipers but the diameter of the rod is so small that the hole to accept the retaining pin would have to be almost infinitesimal. i believe the resultant weakening of the rod and/or the tiny pin would not be able to stand the forces involved. the job would have to be done by a skilled machinist. i'm open to all suggestions after my experience! i still eye it with a certain amount of approbation when i break it down. i would almost rather have a root canal. i'm already thinking about having to clean it when i come home today. :(

·
Registered
467 Posts
Cor Bon

byron,

I did not mean to shoot a BUNCH! of the Cor Bon, I have only shot 12 rounds through mine just to make sure they work good, I then have loaded the gun up with the Cor Bon for selfdefence, you need all the punch you can get out of this caliber in these little farts.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mike

one's too many. if i miss with 6 hydra shoks missing with 6 corbons isn't any better. just returned from the range. 50 rnds with nary a mishap. 1 or 2 emptys grazing my head. smilies......... a slight mark on the edge. i think a round nose might have given me more definite marks. i'm happy as a clam! a fellow at the range had a 4 yr. old bersa .380 we traded guns to shoot. i liked the way his ran but the size and weight difference was great. quite accurate tho. wouldn't trade him. thought i had the trigger stop right but still need to take a little off. i have no qualms about the dependability at this point. i had a great first outing. the gun gods have not forsaken me! :D :D :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had the ejector fall out also, so i glued it in with a soft silocone type house hold glue, to hold it in when cleaning ect. but will let go if you realy pull on it.
i also glued the recoil rod ring on the slide in place.
the glue seems to work well and i dont have to get down on the floor to find them any more.
kychas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts