Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot 50 rounds of MagTech FMJ and 25 rounds of MagTech JHP 95 grain std (not Guardian Gold).

I had 3 FTE. They were jammed half out with the next round jammed under. This is the first ammo that has had FTE issues in my P3AT. Each time it occurred with the same magazine and occurred after the 3rd or 4th shot. It may have been coincidence since the brass does not seem to be uniform. The rim groove appears to vary from round to round and even on opposite sides of the same round. I don't plan to buy any more of the MagTech.

The rounds that did eject still have the telltale sign of the flattened side. I did notice that the flattened side appears on the right side of the round as fired just below were the extractor grabs it. I originally thought this was caused by the ejector but the flat area's location in relation to the extractor marks makes it appear that it strikes the lower edge of the ejection port during ejection. There are also brass marks on the lower edge of the ejection port.

The first image shows the brass from three fired rounds from left to right (Fed Hydrashok, MagTech JHP, Hornady XTP). The MagTech rim cutout is not uniform.

The second image shows the brass from two MagTech rounds that extracted Ok. Notice the location of the flattened side (Yellow Circle) in relation to the extractor marks (Blue Circle). I'm not sure what causes the ding indicated by the green circle.

The third image shows the extractor marks of a MagTech that failed to extract. There is no tear in the rim so it does not appear that the extractor had a good hold on the rim when it slipped off. Notice again the nonuniform rim groove. It appears to slant down left to right with the right side having a steeper shoulder.

Fourth image shows the barrel port with some brass marks. This is what was left after a light cleaning. There was more brass before the cleaning.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pic 4

Brass marks on the barrel port

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Really good info..

Great pictures and analysis, marlin.
Looks like something we have to live with. Seems everybody has the dented brass one way or another.
og

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally was able to get to the range to try out the modified extractor.

It worked wonderfully. All rounds ejected back over my head about 35 feet. I could tell by the extractor mark on the rims that it was getting a much better grip. Instead of the classic little tear were the corner of the extractor held the rim, there was a half moon mark were the new angled extractor held the rim. There was probably four or five times the surface area contacting the rim with the new extractor.

See http://www.ktog.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7349 for a full explanation.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Exceptional observations and gunsmithing! My compliments! BTW, MagTec FMJ works flawlessly in my 3AT. These little wonders are as ammo sensitive as Bullseye 22's.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pbbbfischer deserves all the credit. :D

It looked like the extractor was below the round and only the upper corner had a grip BUT Pbbbfischer pointed out the fact that it would be the exact opposite (above the round) as the barrel drops.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the credit!

Hey Marlin, Thanks for the credit. I know it worked for me and now I can sleep at night not wondering if I made the right choice in my p3at. I had a lot of fun working out the bugs. I know more about this pistol than any other gun I own. In a strange sort of way I have to thank Kel-Tec for that. I'm glad if I can help others out there that are sitting at the kitchen table with my pistol in pieces for the 100th. time and my wife asking "why did you buy that if you were going to have to fix it before it is going to work?". P.F.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts