Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This for the most part is a copy of a post I put up over at the KTOG board a few moments ago. I wanted to place it here also since I have used this board and found much more info on the SU-16 here. This place and Flyers write up actually helped me make up my mind. (That and the fear that this will be banned soon here in the People's Republic of California) I was reluctant to use this board since it does not allow web mail clients access. I ONLY use my personal email address for business and close buddies. I hate to use it elsewhere, and almost always use my web mail address for all else. Oh well the SU-16 won me over and I now have an exception to my rule. If I start to get a bunch of spam.... :twisted:

Rant over...

Anyway,

I picked up my SU-16 on 4/22 after a rather long wait. I bought it out if state from a buddy’s shop in Boise ID back in beginning of March. It took awhile for everything to ship, plus when I first saw one I did not think we could have it here so I did not buy when I had the first chance. This plus on top of it I was having some work Performed on the Franchi 620 I did buy while I was up there, to set it up more to my liking. Then one day I was picking up a case of 20ga for the 620 getting ready to break it in at a local shop. (Boise is oh a bit over 700miles from here)When what did I see on the rack at the local shop???...Why the beauty that is the SU-16. I have always loved transformers so I just had to have one. Reminded me of the Styer Scout, but at a price I could afford. As soon as I could I called up my buddy’s shop and managed to catch him in time to send the SU-16 down with the rest of my order. (I also bought a limited addition green BuckMark rifle for the wife while I was up there)

Range day 1:
Well I was able to spend pretty much the whole day at the range switching between the SU-16, Franchi 620, and the 77/22. The Franchi and the SU-16 are the newest guns added to my collection. Before I go on I must say the Franchi is a VERY SWEET shotgun. Blast’n clays even as they dropped at long range...

Mechanics:
The SU-16 controls are simple and well placed I like how the bolt stop is controlled from the bottom of the rifle. IMHO I would have also liked a way to drop the bolt with out pulling back on the bolt. I can live with this it is not a big deal. The magazine release is placed well and works as it should. The same can be said for the safety. The bi-pod was easy to deploy and put back. Now that I think about it, the magazines slid in easily and locked in place with little effort, but I found myself always double checking with an additional slap. There is not much of the “click” that I am used to and use as a reference, like there is on some of my other guns. Even my Grendel P-12 gives a little more feed back letting you know that things have been inserted properly. The rifle is still new to me so it may just take a little more time for me to become familiar with it. The trigger was a nice surprise…very smooth and snapped cleanly. For some reason I was expecting more of a DA feel to it.

Performance
The SU-16 performed rather well. I stuck with the open sights, but I do plan to switch to a basic cheap scope. I took my time at first breaking in the barrel, but once that was done all went well. I must say the rifle had 0 functional issues in 170 rounds fired. The rifle ate every thing I feed it. There were three rounds that failed to extract. The rims busted clean off on one edge by the extractor. This only occurred with the South African 5.56mm Mil. Surplus I was using at the tin can range. I had picked up a 300 round battle pack at a recent gun show for $40 to use for Tin can and plastic bottle work. It is from 1989 so it is a little old...At this point I blame the ammo and not the gun.

For the break in I used, "fire a shot clean the barrel" for the 1st 10 rounds, then switched to doubling up, and finished off with every 4th shot.
Break down:
20rds of Remington .223 55gr (for the first 10 rounds cleaned it

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That was odd...not sure where the rest of the post went, oh well

...each time, then doubled up with this ammo)
&
20rds of UMC .223 55gr lead tip (I cleaned it after every 4th shout)

All of this was shot at 50 yards using a 5.5" shot n c target. Also with the Bi-pod deployed. The first magazine was placing a little to the right, about 2" or so elevation was pretty much on target.
I made a slight adjustment to the front blade, and all of the remaining break in rounds placed in the black, with 5 of those scoring 10s. The largest groups were 9’s and 8s above and slightly to the right of the 10 spot. I can not wait to put a scope on and see what more this rifle has to offer. Once I was done I switched over to the 40-yard tin can range, and had a blast. Highlights were a coke can literally cut in half, and 1 gallon juice jugs full of water blasted apart, (using Win. 45gr JHP Varmint) and many a high fly'n empty water bottle. My main reason for buying the SU-16 is this type of fun. I see many years ahead of me where this will be my dedicated tin can range blaster for those times when I want a bit more umphhh than what my many .22lrs offer.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Whelp,
Nice write up, and welcome to the Range!
Yep, some of that South African ammo seems to be causing problems in pretty much any rifle that shoots it... it appears to be an issue of brittle brass.
When you mount your scope you can pretty much expect your practical accuracy to double! I'm not entirely sure why, but a scope seems to make a bit more difference on this rifle than others... possibly because of the tinted front sight causing target blur.
We look forward to your future posts, and have fun!
Flyer

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Great report on the SU... I've also had problems with the SA ammo in my ARs. Sorry about the "missing message" part. There seems to be a built in limit to the number of characters per post that I cannot override.

I'm also glad you finally decided to condescend to our registration requirements and joined the gang. It's a really good bunch of people and our methods are aimed at assuring it remains so... and that we run into as little as possible of the various kinds of troll trouble that most other boards invariably deal with. I assure you, we never divulge our member information to anyone... ever... and never will.

We have a philosophy that we want to run a really good board with the best people we can find. That means, unfortunately, that the board isn't going to be for everyone... but we decided we don't need everyone to accomplish what we want here.

We're glad to have you aboard!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am glad to be aboard, and not just a "guest/lurker" any longer. I also look forward to more comments and help'n where I can. Sadly in CA we can not get most if any other Kel-Tecs other than the SU-16. I'm probable among the few and far between who actually likes with a passion my Grendel P-12, which I picked up new when they first came out. Something about having 12 rounds of 9mm short in the same space my hand takes up just makes me smile. So far other than an occasional stove pipe, I normally hit what I want @ 7-10 yards with it. Past that I'm on the paper, and will slow ya down...To this day I kick myself in the ass for not picking up a P-30 when I had the chance. Oh well. I would like to pick up some of the new designs, but untill I move out of this state I will just need to hang around in the SU-16 area for the most part. I would like to add a picture in the post a pic of your SU-16 post. Is there a place in here where pictures can be hosted?

BTW has anyone seen anything worse than FTE using this SA 5.56mm ammo? I can handle using a ram rod 1 in 30, but if it ruptures in the tube, that could be painfull, and NOT worth the $40 I spent.

Flyer:
Yeah I am really looking forward to zero'n in a scope. I thought about going the basic red dot setup like on my Neos. I use a BSA RD-30 I picked up from Walmart for $30...even at 40yards it kinda like cheat'n. For the SU-16 though I want to Zoom in.

I'm thinking a 3-9X40mm or a basic 4X32mm should work well.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

Whelp said:
BTW has anyone seen anything worse than FTE using this SA 5.56mm ammo? I can handle using a ram rod 1 in 30, but if it ruptures in the tube, that could be painfull, and NOT worth the $40 I spent.
Nope... just FTF/FTE problems. I returned the 300 rounds I purchased and was credited for the 270 that remained unfired. That was my first and last experience with surplus ammo.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that is good new in a way... :lol:

The gun show I picked it up from wont be around again until June. I always see the same vendor there, he is a good guy. I doubt the ammo will last until then. :twisted:

After this I think I will break down in pick up a full case of some good ole USA made ammo. Prices online seem to be in the $179 - around $200 for 1000rds. That should keep me happy for awhile.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

Whelp said:
I would like to add a picture in the post a pic of your SU-16 post. Is there a place in here where pictures can be hosted?
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here guys. But I did not see one of Whelps questions answered. You can add pics directly to the replies. There is a size limit. Midi can tell you for sure. It is in the Administration section as well. Here is my SU-16 on my Famous BBQ grill. Before you ask it is starting to be a matter of honor that all my pic are on this grill :) Welcome to the group.

BTW I would like to let you know we are going to have Contest. There are limitations but check it out here.

http://ktrange.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1088

1 - 10 of 10 Posts