Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should the slide lock engage itself when having an empty magazine in the gun simply by pulling the slide back? Or will it only pop the slide lock up if it is chambering the last round while shooting? Reason why I'm asking is I'm looking at a used P32 and while pulling the slide back with an empty magazine it doesn't catch the slide and keep it back. I checked it out and it seems like the feeder in the magazine doesn't seem to be putting enough pressure on the slide lock mechanism to push it up to lock the slide back. I've read on here about having problems with the slide lock and having to take the gun apart and heat up the grip to hold a sping in place or something - does this sound like what is going on with this gun? Or is it normal? BTW - I shot it 49 times yesterday and it functioned 100%. It locked back at the end of each magazine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes, it should lock back with you rack the slide on an empty mag.

Problem could be with the mag, not the gun.

I don't know why it would work when you're shooting and not other times, but someone here probably does.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that I know that it SHOULD actually lock back I took another look at it. For some reason the mag wasn't pushing the slide lock up. Sooooo - I took it apart. Extended the spring a little to add a little more tension to it. Now it seems to be locking the slide back like it should. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i am having a problem with my p 32 locking the slide back on every cycle can the gun be safely shot with the slide lock removed the side of the frame has a bulge where the spring has came free i have taken the gun apart and reset the spring and it will happen again before i shoot a full mag is there anything i can do about this

·
Registered
243 Posts
i am having a problem with my p 32 locking the slide back on every cycle can the gun be safely shot with the slide lock removed the side of the frame has a bulge where the spring has came free i have taken the gun apart and reset the spring and it will happen again before i shoot a full mag is there anything i can do about this
The slide stop is also the ejector. Won't function without it.

The spring should be pushing DOWN on the slide stop/ejector. It only gets pushed up to lock the slide when the mag is empty and the follower pushes it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had a few P32's, and had gotten rid of them for some reason. Have another one now, parkerized, and it's failing to hold open. I've disassembled the mag and made sure it was clean and that the follower wasn't binding, which didn't bring about any change in behavior.

What else should I look at as being the problem?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've had a few P32's, and had gotten rid of them for some reason. Have another one now, parkerized, and it's failing to hold open. I've disassembled the mag and made sure it was clean and that the follower wasn't binding, which didn't bring about any change in behavior.

What else should I look at as being the problem?
You're going to have to pull the frame out of the grip and check the spring, also clean up the pivot point of the slide stop.

On another note, I'm looking to buy a P32.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Magazine spring pressure may be too weak compared to the internal slide stop spring pressure: the ejector slide stop isn't being pushed upward hard enough. See my previous post on stretching your magazine spring a bit. Had the problem on two brand new P-32s. The problem wasn't Kel-Tec's, rather Meggar's (they make the magazine). Fortunately Meggar's magazine can be easily disassembled, cleaned, and the spring extended by hand (don't overdo it or you'll be ordering a new magazine).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put in new slide stop and spring to solve problem. Old stop was worn or bent and would not contact mag follower properly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.