Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to find out who has used their P11 to get their CHL. I have to chance to buy/borrow a friend of mines 1911 Springfield .45 to get it. I have fired it and liked it, but I would prefer to save the expense and use what I intend to carry. I am located in TX so using it and passing the course will let me carry anything I choose. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
you can get a silloette(sp?) target and box of bullets go for it. 20 rounds at 3yds, 20 rounds at 7 yrd, and 10 rounds at 15 yds. I think it is 250 pts to pass (don't remember).

·
Registered
121 Posts
The hits at 15 yards would worry me with the P-11. I'd use the Springfield for qualifying, then carry the P-11.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Since I live in Ohio I haven't had to CCW qualify.
However, when I was in security, it seems like I had to re-qualify every fifteen minutes.
I rarely EVER used what I carried. Believe it or not, I used a Remington-Rand WW2 1911! I'd been shooting it since I was 8, and my dad gave it to me when I turned 18.
Man, that puppy could sweep those courses, blowing away guys with Sigs, Glocks, Berettas, you name it, with perfect scores.
Ah, the good old days...
Flyer

·
Registered
224 Posts
I used my P3AT for my Florida CCW but all I had to do was not wing the instructor.
Barry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re:

angebar said:
I used my P3AT for my Florida CCW but all I had to do was not wing the instructor.
Barry
LOL! Reminds me of the first time I ever went bowling. On the back swing, the ball slipped off my hand and I broke my dad's foot. From now on, he highly recommends steel toe bowling shoes. :oops:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re:

ddflorida said:
The hits at 15 yards would worry me with the P-11. I'd use the Springfield for qualifying, then carry the P-11.
The first time I shot my P11 it was at 15 yds. I didn't hit the target well. My boss recently requalified for his CHL and he used his SIG 226 target pistol. He claimed he was doing some head shots with it only to be chastized by the instructor.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If I set a target at 20-25 feet, the P-11 is dead-on. But at 15 yards, it takes a bunch of shots to get it zeroed in. If I want accuracy at distance, I use the Kimber Eclipse Ultra II (I can usually get a 7" group at 25 yards). The P-11 is always there, well concealed, for something that might happen within 25 feet. Anything beyond that, I'm not supposed to be shooting at anyway...

·
Registered
2 Posts
P-11 for CHL

< I am curious to find out who has used their P11 to get their CHL. I have to chance to buy/borrow a friend of mines 1911 Springfield .45 to get it. I have fired it and liked it, but I would prefer to save the expense and use what I intend to carry. I am located in TX so using it and passing the course will let me carry anything I choose. Any feedback is appreciated. >

I used mine almost one year ago today to qualify for my CHL. I had very little recent experience with firing a handgun (been years since I had regulary fired one and it was a Ruger Super Single Six). I had been to the range one time prior to the class. The P-11 is fine for qualification. You should have no problem. I had the second highest score in the class (first was a previous CHL holder who had let his lapse) and I am not a real good shot....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts