Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned a AR-15 or other gas operated semi auto before. The SU-16 is my first gas operated semi auto weapon. My question is do I and how do I clean the gas tube? If I dont clean it will the gun not function correctly as it gets dirty? I am sorry for the newbie questions but I have found no useful cleaning information in the kel-tec manual or online.

Thanks

Jonathan

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
You don't really need to clean the gas tube often.
Just make sure the rod with piston going THROUGH it is kept clean. This will scrub the inside of the gas tube automatically as the rifle fires, sort of like an AK does.
The AR-15 has an entirely different action, and doesn't HAVE a piston or similar gas tube to clean (although the tube it DOES have needs regular cleaning with long pipecleaners).
Flyer

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
I've heard the opposite from many people. No need to clean an AR gas tube... the pressure pumping through it is enough to dislodge anything that might ever be stuck in there. On the other hand, if you start sticking pipe cleaners down it and end up with little fuzzy things stuck to the lining, they may gather more crap and cause blockages.

Same thing with people obsessed with scraping the carbon off the backside of the bolt. There's nothing back there for it to bother... it will eventually create a nice fitting ridge with rear end of the carrier. Leave it alone.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, an AR tube stays pretty clean..
But now and then I like using the military-issue cleaners (long enough to actually poke down through into the bore!) just to make sure everything's nice and smooth.
You DON'T want to use regular pipecleaners... they WILL fall apart and create a mess.
Flyer

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
You don't really need to clean the gas tube often.
Just make sure the rod with piston going THROUGH it is kept clean. This will scrub the inside of the gas tube automatically as the rifle fires, sort of like an AK does.
Are you referring to the plastic housing where the rod and piston resides? I can clean that easily with patches. But what about the gas pass through port between the barrel and the piston/rod? That doohickey right around where the bi-pod is hinged to the barrel. How should that be cleaned?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Nope, leave all the gas plungers and assemblies alone!
A picture's worth a thousand words, ya ya ya....

Just make sure the piston head (in green) is kept clean. Now and then you'll need to scrape carbon deposits off it, but it's no big deal.
Everything in RED leave ALONE! If ya mess with this you're likely going to be sending your rifle back to Cocoa. :shock:
Flyer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts