Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my gun to the range the other day and had a very unpleasant experience.

Looking for any advice and input you all may have as to the cause and possible corrections for this.

I was test shooting my new choice of carry ammo Speer GoldDot, 90 gr. GDHP.

On the very first round I had, what appeared to be a FTE.

The gun fired the round normally.

Upon closer inspection the spent casing was lodged in the barrel.

I had to field strip the gun at the bench in the range to remove the spent casing from the breech of the barrel.

Now I have had some FTEs where the spent casing was jammed in an nearly vertical position in the slide. But this is the first time I've seen this.

I hesitate to take the gun to the range again.

What might be the problem? Should I send the gun to Kel-Tec?

I have never seen anything like this before. It is making me wish I could conceal my Taurus 9mm comfortably and well as in 15 years I've never had a hang fire, misfire or FTE with it.

This is shaking my confidence in this gun as my carry weapon, so any advice and input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm sure you will shortly get replies from persons much more knowledgeable than myself, but I'll take a shot at it anyway.
I suspect a rough chamber, or faulty extractor, one or both is/are the culprit/s. Let us know how it turns out!
s45

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, sounds like you need to polish your chamber.
Also, you mention this is the first time you've used that ammo, and as I recall the Gold Dots have a nickled case... it's more malleable than the bare brass cases and more likely to stick in a roughish chamber.
Use a pen wrapped with 400# sand or emery paper, and polish the chamber, moving the pen in and out, simulating the movement of a chambering cartridge. Be sure to get the entire inside of the chamber, not just one area. Rotating the barrel in you hand as you polish is a good way to do this.
A little more polishing with 600# paper is a nice way to finish it off.
This isn't a big problem at all... it's possible the extractor simply slipped off this single round, and the likelihood is it hadn't engaged the rim fully to begin with - something that occasionally happens when chambering a round by hand. When you chamber the round it's a good idea to "slap" the back of the slide, to make sure it's fully forward and the ejector has seated itself into proper position.
After the polishing, I'm sure the problem will be resolved. If not, just post the results - we'll take another look at it!
Flyer

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'll add to Flyer's response.....

Very early on, I had issues with Winclean 95 gr flatnose in that several casings were left stuck in the chamber when the extractor simply pulled right through the lip at the rear of the casing. I simply took my Dremel, a compressed cotton probe, put a little jeweler's rouge on it, and proceeded to polish the chamber. End of problem....but I'm still a little leary of Winclean! Really, that should do the trick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts