Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on the primers of the shell after its been fired, it looks like my gun just barely put a impression or very slight dent in it, but the primer is buldged out in small circle around where the firing pin hit.

Does this mean that I am getting light strikes or does it mean that my gun is hitting the primer hard and after the bullet explodes it is forcing the dent where the firing pin hit it back out??

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
What ammo were you shooting? All primers are not created equal!
Sounds like your primer strike was fine, and the primer then "cratered" around the pin from the pressure. This is pretty common with the softer primers.
Flyer

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Primer

Flyer,

It does it on all ammo!, but I have just put 10 rounds of CorBon 125gr. through it and the CorBon is the worst I have seen!

Does worst really mean best in this case??
I mean I want to make sure I am using a ammo that will go bang everytime

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, that Cor-Bon would have loved to flatten out your primer again, and would have if the pin weren't there!
Having said THAT, I'll say THIS:
I LOVE Cor-Bon ammo and recommend it highly. Just because it gives you "pancakes" doesn't mean it's unsafe... just that you shouldn't shoot it extensively. Just enough to be sure it's reliable and that you're proficient, then some to re-familiarize yourself with it now and then.
I wouldn't worry about reliability.... sounds like your pistol has proven itself just fine.
Flyer

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CorBon

Flyer,

You was 100% right!, about the creaters
I found a website www.real-guns.com/archives/023.htm
it shows exactly what my primers look like, they reccommend titanium firing pins for anyone who is worried about it.

This CorBon 125gr.+P fits the lower ends of a 357 Magnum almost, I have had this ammo since January and this is the first time I have ever shot it, It Is Without Any Question A Knockem Down And Stompem Round, it is a little shorter than a normal 9mm round but dont think it would be a problem with it sliding forward on the magizine.

I really see no reason for a Kel-Tec 40 Cal. when this stuff is out there.

·
Registered
205 Posts
pull one bullet out of a case, the load just the brass and primer (also removing the powder of course), or just ask for one from a reloader. Then fire just the primered case and you will see how much of a dent you really leave in the primer. (If your curious)

G

·
Re: CorBon

diamondmike said:
Flyer,

You was 100% right!, about the creaters
I found a website www.real-guns.com/archives/023.htm
it shows exactly what my primers look like, they reccommend titanium firing pins for anyone who is worried about it.

<snip>

Diamondmike -

The paragraph on specialty firing pins reads -

"I tried the pins with numerous brands of ammo and handloads - statistically, they had absolutely no performance gain over factory original parts in regard to primer flow, cratering, extrusion or any other primer phenomena associated with higher pressure cartridges"

My reference to titanium pins is -

"For just 4 times that price you can get firing pins from the same manufacturers in titanium."

My conclusion, and this is only my personal opinion, is that discharged primer appearance is primarily controlled by chamber pressure and/or headspace.

Joe

·
Registered
205 Posts
and one more thing.... if the hole in the breach face that the FP comes out of is over sized, that can affect how the primer looks to (giving it somewhere to blow back into.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts