Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After screwing around with half a dozen Hogue Handall Jrs, I decided to try the cheap and easy route. I went to Wally World® and picked up a bicycle inner-tube (1 1/8" x 1 1/4" x 1 /38") and started cutting it up.

I'm not going to post pics (unless people demand them) and I'm not going to post detailed instructions (ditto) because it's really easy. It took only three trials to produce a grip that covers 95% of the backstrap and the frontstrap. It doesn't have the palm swells nor the finger dividers of the Hogue Handall Jr., but for $3.00, I got a nice rubber sleeve, and enough material to produce atleast a dozen more. (Two dozen if I am really careful.)

I haven't shot it yet, but it feels sturdy. I'll be testing it extensively, and will keep everyone informed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Try it with a "thorn proof" inner tube and fit the thick rubber part that is supposed to block thorns at the rear of the grip. Not only a rubber grip cover, but an instant grip extension like Flyer did to his gun. Not as good as the originals, but it is more comfortable to hold and shoot.

CA

·
Registered
42 Posts
CA-Guy,

P-3ATs are illegal in the country of California. How are you able to get your hands on one?

ppmd - who escaped just in time...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poor Man’s Grip Sleeve

1. Buy a bicycle inner tube. I paid $3 at Walmart for a 27” tube (1 1/8” x 1 1/4" x 1 3/8”).

2. Print out the template and cut a 3” section of inner tube to work with. (The tall back edge should be 2 1/4" tall. If your printout doesn't match this, measure your printout. Then divide 2.25 by your measurement. Print again, but in the printer preferences, change "print 100% to normal" to "print [your dividend]% to normal. On my printer it's 82%.)

3. Use tape to mark your cutting lines if desired.

4. Cut off excess rubber from tube. The inside of the tube is covered with a white powder. Clean off the white powder.

5. Fold the bottom of the tube inward about 3/8”.

6. Stretch the folded end of the tube over the bottom of the grip.

7. Pull the top edge of the tube up over the grip, and fit into place.

8. Presto! Your new Rubber Grip Sleeve!

·
Registered
274 Posts
PPMD,

I recently acquired a pre-ban P-32 from a LEO, not an AT. Bicycle tires fit either equally well, or equally poorly. The thorn proof tire idea came to me when I remembered I had an old one hanging in the garage. It seems to work very well, though it is as ugly as a mud fence. I don't shoot the P-32 enough to need it, so my little pal is back to his handsome self.

CA

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
gazpacho,
GOOD article!!!
When I used innertubes, I sprayed a thin layer of 3M adhesive onto the front and backstrip of the grip before putting it on... holds it in place nicely under recoil. Otherwise it's going to try backing off the bottom of the grip.
Another thing to try:
Take a piece of rubber tubing like found on a stethoscope or blood pressure monitor and make a slit about half an inch long at the top. Now, cut that end in curved shaped so it blends into the very top of the grip just before it meets the frame in the rear. Attach it with the adhesive, gluing it firmly onto the backstrap, following the curve. Cut it off about a quarter-inch from the end.
Now install your grip in the usual manner. This will compress the tubing 'till it's almost flat, but will increase trigger pull length, make the pistol even more comfortable, and soak up some of the recoil, to boot!
Flyer

·
Registered
190 Posts
Good stuff, guys.

I can add:

A local bike shop will usually give you all the old tubes you want, at least mine will.

I cut small strips to build up the front and back of grip, glued them on the outside with glue from repair kit, turned tube inside out and installed.

No pics -- I gave that one away. I'll do another soon. Like the idea of the thornproof tube. Hope I can find one.

BIGIRON

·
Registered
190 Posts
I found an old tube that had raised rings around it near the stem. The 3AT has it and the HC32 has the smooth one. Obviously, I'm better at cutting inner tubes than I am taking pictures.

BIGIRON

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did this very same modification myself....

Went to the local bike shop, got a used innertube, cut it to fit and works beautifully. About the same time, my Bersa finger extensions showed up in the mail and now my P-3AT is both more comfortable but better-dressed.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Thanks for the pics and instructions. Well done. I used a bike innertube before I got my Hogue Handall Jr.s. The innertube worked, and it was cheap, but I didn't want to show it to anybody. Unfortunately, the Hogue Handall Jr. on my P-40 is starting to split at the bottom.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Hey, I've been a little out to lunch, but it's nice to see BIGIRON and twentytwolover here. Likewise, welcome to gazpacho, ppmd, and CA-guy.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I've had Hogue's split on me before. That's why I started experimenting with the bike inner-tube. I can get a couple dozen rubber grips this way, real cheap, and can replace them whenever I want.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well add me to the inner tube list. About a month ago I went to a local bike shop and was given a used inner tube. I actually layered three sections to give me a slightly larger grip. It works fine but looks nasty! Oh well, let's just say it adds "character".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts