Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do these compare for a travel/carry gun. Provided that both are in 9x18. I am thinking that the P64 would be a little smaller and thus easier to conceal.

Thoughts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm going to look at a Makarov tomorrow. If I remember correctly it has a red pair of grips. The only thing that I didn't like about it was the decocker was terribly hard to manipulate. Could this be an indication of something that is wrong. When buying a used makarov, what should I be looking for? Can we get a check list?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The P-64 is smaller than the Mak. It's basically a copy of the Walther PPK, along with it's slide mounted, push up-to-fire safety that's difficult to manipulate.
The Makarov's safety is hard to operate because it's roughly machined sometimes on the area the safety spring contacts, and therefore is stiff.
However, it's PROPER... in other words, down to fire, just like a 1911.
You'll find the P-64 easier to conceal, the Mak bigger and infinitely more reliable.
Flyer

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes the safety/decocker is typically pretty stiff. Never seen a P-64 but have seen lots of comments about the incredibly heavy DA trigger pull.

·
Registered
47 Posts
More information on the Makarov can be found at the Makarov.com website. If you buy one, I highly recommend replacing the recoil spring with one that is 2 pounds heavier than the stock spring. Makes it a much nicer gun to shoot. Other than that and a little custom work on the grip, mine has needed nothing more than a detailed cleaning (removed a lot of cosmoline) and lube.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts