Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a gun shop in my area that has a lot of police tradeins, they have Smith&Wessons, Glocks, 9mm, 40 Cal., 45acp.
Some are scratched up a little but some look in good shape.
They sell from $200 to $300, come with night sights, some has lasers, all come with hi-cap magizines and they sell extra hi-caps for $15.
I do not know if they are worn out real bad or not, has anyone ever bought one of these and had a lot of problems or anything?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Technically, my H&K P7 was a police trade-in. It was used by the German Border Patrol before I acquired it. In it's case, the Europeans tend to carry their guns more than they shoot them -- this can sometimes be the case with law enforcement departments in the USA too. Some departments have specific weapons designated for range use, qualification, etc. Which leaves the duty issue guns to be fired very little.

Look closely at the gun's internals to see if there is evidence of wear. In an automatic, look for a loose or poor slide to frame fit. Also, push down on the barrel/chamber while it's in battery with the slide. If you get any downward movement without retracting the slide, look for another gun.

In a revolver, slowly cycle the cylinder through each chamber in single action mode. Make sure that the cylinder locks with the lug prior to the hammer falling on the firing pin. Check also for excess movement (rotation) of the cylinder when it's in battery with the frame but the hammer is in the downward position. Again, any excess movement -- find another gun.

My German police trade-in appeared to be in near mint condition and was an exceptional buy. If you are willing to accept a little surface wear and possibly department markings on the gun, chances are that you'll pick up a completely functional weapon with plenty of life for a great price.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, these are usually pretty good buys...
Most have been carried a lot and shot a little.
The outside matters little...check the internals for finish wear... that'll tell you how much it's been shot.
One problem with the night sights: there's no way to tell how old they are, and therefore how much life they've got left. However, if they're still glowing fairly brightly they've got at least a year or so left.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
One of the ranges here in Jax, have some of the Glock 9mm that have markings on them. They just have JSO engraved on them, and I aways ask do they want to part with one and they always tell me no...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.