Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been reloading shotgun shells for a long time now, but recently I've been thinking about making a custom carbine load with slower burning powder to take advantage of a carbine's longer barrel so I can get some nice high velocities, unlike the +100 fps you get with factory ammo. Trouble is, I don't really have a clue as to how to reload pistol ammo. From what I've read, the dies resize the round, then punch out the primer and put a bell in it, then crimp the bullet into the case. Seems simple enough, but what equipment do I really need? I'm just looking to do a little experimentation, not reload as my main source of ammo, so I don't need to be cranking out 300 rounds per hour or anything crazy like that, 50 per hour would be more than fine. I'm looking to get into this cheap, remember, I'm a student with no job who just blew his bank account on a new gun! Advise me!!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Reloadin' pistol ca'atriges ain't nuthin'!
You don't have to have expensive equipment to crank out lots of rounds, either... just pick up a Lee Progressive 1000 for under $130, and that INCLUDES the dies, powder measure, auto-primer, auto case feeder, and practically everything you need to load except the "software"... bullets, primers, and powder.
Lee 1000
I'd order bullets online, and get my powder and primers at a local shop. Primers are considered HAZMAT, and take practially forever to deliver. And, you always want to see the powder you're going to dump in your cases.
Flyer

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheaper I say!!! What about that Lee Classic Loader kit? Like I said, I'm not going to reload often at all, just have a little bit of fun. Also, I don't like the idea of letting a machine dump powder in for you on a press, like with that 1000, its OK with a shotgun, but not something where just a little extra powder can do damage.
I imagine with that kit I'll be loading like 10 rounds an hour, but I dont care. If I get it, all I need is a scale, yeah?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Actually, with the Lee Loader, you don't even need a scale; it comes with a powder measure that holds approximately the correct amount of powder using the most popular brands.
What you need, with a Loader, is a good wooden mallet. You've got to drive the cases into the tool, and it takes a good whack!
Flyer

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you drive the case into the tool with the primer in it?! :shock:
Yeah, I saw that it came with a powder measure, but you know, I like to be precise!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Nope, the primer is seated as you knock the case out of the tool... no danger there.
If you really like precision, I'd get a powder scale rather than a measure... NOW you're talking accuracy.
Flyer

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, thats what I was saying, buy a scale as well. If I get a bullet puller, I can recover the bulltes from a couple of boxes of Wolf 9mm that the gun store owner gave me for free :roll:
Then all I need is brass and primers! 9mm takes a small pistol primer, right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts