Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, new guy here. Thought I'd properly introduce myself. Sorry for the length.

Eric, 38, Accountant, former Marine CH-53E Crewchief. Normally a 1911 hotrod .45 only snob. Lately, I've been feeling guilty for not lending my support to the concealed carry laws by not actually getting my liscense. So I declared to the wife the other day "wife, don't care if you ever cary, but you are getting your permit". I plan on putting a small concealable in her center console in her car at the minimum level of protection. Same for me.

Anyway, in slogging through the endless maze of small 9mm manufacturers I kept seeing the Kel-Tecs. I recognized that they have an almost cult like following. Also, everyone just goes on and on about the co's support. Having support sites like this great site doesn't hurt any either.

So I go to the largest gun store in Ft. Lauderdale. Expecting to be turned away. I ask to see a P-11 and ask the guy behind the counter (Guy the owner) what he thought about them. He pulls up his shirt and says "I love mine, have one of every brand I could carry but I keep coming back to this little guy."

He then produced some damn good stats. He showed me a tube of ballistics gel with a .380 prefrag in it. It showed the pattern beautifully. He said the pattern with a 9 would be 6 inches deeper and 3 inches wider. He stated that he has shot hundreds of +P out of his P-11 and it does great. He then showed me a european study where they shot a bunch of sheep and measured the time until brain death. A .45 sjhp resulted in a 9 sec time to death. A 9m +P prefrag resulted in a 7.45 sec time to brain death. Pretty impressive given I'm a true .45 knuckle dragger.

So his and hers P-11's were purchased. I pick them up this week. Can't wait. I tell ya, I have not been this exited about owning a new gun in quite a while.

If anyone can shed some light on doing a trigger job on it I'd sure apreciate it. I'll keep ya posted as our little adventure progresses.

Eric

·
Registered
432 Posts
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/ --

Internal trigger stop here.

Eraser trigger stop here.

Nylon screw trigger stop here.

Welcome aboard! Glad to see you found the best Kel-Tec site and one of the best gun sites around. Also, glad to hear that you're getting your CCW permit. If only more gun folks would do the same...

Next, think about getting the P3AT, for those times when you just absolutlely can't conceal the P11. After that, think about getting a .40 top end and / or a .357Sig top end for the P11. As a .45 man, I'm sure you can appreciate the belief that the bigger the bullet and the corresponding hole it leaves, the better. I never could stomach the idea of plain ol' 9mm, and I'm not sold on .357Sig yet, so I'm packing a P40.
[/url]

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Welcome! What madman said! Great link and advice in general. I have a P11 and a 40 S&W top. Excellent "console' guns. Also good advice on the bug gun. I actually have not upgraded from the P32 to the P3AT (380). I love my P32! Those two are great for just slipping into a pocket or purse when the situation dictates. Ubelievable combination of size, weight, capacity, etc... if you have not seen/held one. For now, maybe do a little fluff & buff on the P11's just to get familiar with them and then go shoot 'em. Remember it's NOT a target pistol, and you'll be pleasantly surprised. In case you haven't been, here's the manufacture's site:

http://www.kel-tec.com/

G

·
Jarhead, welcome to the board. You will find that the Kel-Tec's become addictive and once you carry one you won't want to be without it. I was first bitten by the bug with a P32 and that led to a P11, P40 and a P3AT, which I carry daily as both an on and off duty back-up gun. They are remarkable pistols and are utterly reliable. Keep in mind that they are somewhat sensitive to limp wristing and as such can tend to have FTE issues. If you do your part the pistol will definately do it's part. Most any gunsmithing issues can be resolved here and are usually fun to do yourself. If it can't be resolved here than rest assured that KT WILL make it right (and KT will usually send you the part free of charge). You may want to consider looking at the the P32 and/or the P3AT for your wife. If she is not an avid shooter than she may find the trigger pull of the P11 uncomfortable and thus may not want to shoot the weapon. At any rate, welcome to the board and we look forward to seeing more from you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.40 Mod

Seems as though I've fallen face first into a hot bed of hand gun hotrodders. And I won't even have to part with $1500.00 to do it. Sweet! I can tell I'm really going to have fun with this little rascal. A P3AT is definitely on my list.

For a .40 conversion. Am I actually adding a S&W slide and barrel to a K-T frame? If so whats the ballpark cost for the parts? I can cozy up to a bigger bang just fine. Never owned a "europellet" before. (stole that from Kim Du Toit)

Sure apreciate the info guys. Can't wait to go to the range.

G

·
For a .40S&W conversion or .357Sig for that matter it is around 150.00 for the slide, barrel and recoil spring. It is a Kel-Tec slide with your choice of barrel. You might want to call and check availability though as the stock of .357 conversion kits might be dried up. You might also want to check to see if they have either that is hard chromed, which will give you a two tone look. Be forewarned though.....once you make the conversion there is not turning back......you will be HOOKED! I carry my P40 much more than the P11, which has all but become a safe queen.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Welcome to the Range!
Nope, Kel-Tec makes the conversions. You'll find them at gunshows and on the net for around $150, more or less.
Flyer

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
ahoy jarhed, good to have you aboard. you'll find this is a pretty ship shape place. c'mon back! :D

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
A little P.S.

You, and your wife might really appreciate the Houge Handall Jr, and she especially, might like a trigger shoe. And then of course your gonna want some high-cap mags, night sites and ........... Hey, compared to what you're acustomed to, it's all good, cheap fun!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are those Hogue grips just a little slip on that goes up to the trigger release? Will it interfere with a holster?

And hell yes I want all the goodies. I'm painting flames on this baby and installing fuzzy dice.

Thanks for the welcome aboard.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Nope, the Hogue grips don't interfere with anything at all, and are an excellent accessory.
Flyer

G

·
Welcome Jarhed

I think you will find that this place a lot of fun, good people and good advice.

My P-11 goes with me all the time, gave up carrying my G-32, only carry that at work.

·
Registered
519 Posts
ya gotta get that puppy dressed up pronto! my p11 has a hogue hand-all jr, trigger shoe, belt clip, mag pinky rest, and custom leather pocket holster.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Glad you are on board with the P11

Mine did not even come home without the trigger shoe. I have the S&W 15 round Mag with upgraded sping. . The "sweet" headley pocket holster. I carry it at all times when I am not at home. Great gun but not a target gun because of the hard trigger pull. But has been most reliable and would stop anyone that needs stopping.

:eek:

ts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.