Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Kel-tec still make/sell kits for both? If YOU were going to convert a P11, would you go with the 40 or 357 Sig? WHY? :?:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bloodwalker. Seeing as how P40s are still readily available for not much more than the Sig conversion, I'd still be interested in hearing folks pros and cons on one versus the other... a pole, of sorts.

G

·
Bloodwalker, can I convert my current P11 to a P357 by buying the upgrade or was it only the P40 that you could convert? I would rather have the P357 anyway but I was not sure if the P11 frame was too thin to handle the recoil. Since I have never seen a P40 I cannot compare them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Marty,

Could someone buy a .357 Sig conversion kit -- and then a barrel in .40 cal too? I expect that you stock some as replacement parts for existing P-40s?? That way they could join the elect few with a three caliber KT like me... :jester:

Thanks!

G

·
Not to post a redundantly stupid question, but as I see it the P11 and P40 frames are the same? So, I can order the P357 upgrade, slap it on the P11 frame and have at it? I only ask becasue now i'm excited and will probably order one post haste!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, the frames are the same...
But the slides have been changed to protect the innocent...
Flyer

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which brings me back to my original question. P40 or P357 and defend your choice...

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So why are they still selling the sig conversion and not the P40? Less problems with limpwristing, etc?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I'd say that's most likely the reason... in fact recoil-induced limpwristing is the reason they pulled the P-40 in the first place.
The .357 gives a less heavy but quicker recoil impulse... so in effect, while it technically has as much or even MORE recoil, the felt effect is less apt to induce limpwristing.
Flyer

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Higher speed in the 357? Is it that much more potent than 9mm + P?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I still prefer the P-357 over the P-40. I shoot better with it (more accurate) and have absolutely no FTFs with the bottle neck cartridge and the round nose profile of the Pow'Rball loads.

It is truly a high power hide-away gun that is nice and light. The Hard Chrome swap, factory nights sights, +1 mag extensions, and the Hogue Handall Jr. made mine "just right"...

G

·
Is there a difference in the magazine follower between the 357 and 40? In anticipation of getting the P40 from shuguy, I may want to get the 357 barrel for it in the future and would like to use the same magazines.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
No, they only made a .40 caliber magazine. The P-357 was never commercially marketed as a model -- was killed once the P-40 was pulled from production. I suspect the .357 Sig conversion kits we see available from KT was the pre-production stock for the anticipated introduction of the P-357 that never came to pass. However, I suspect the magazine would have been the same as the P-40.

My Steyr M-40 and M-357 share the same magazines as well.

G

·
So do my Glocks. Eventhough I can use the same magazine for both, Glock still sells the magazines with two different followers. I have some hi-cap LEO magazines that are for the Glock 23 (40) that I bought new and used with my Glock 32 (357). When I got them I loaded them with 357 only, now that they have "set" they hold the 357 fine but they don't hold the 40 as well. I can't stand when a magazine rattles. I bought the Wolff magazine springs for my P11 and they rattle like a box of rocks now where they didn't before.

·
Registered
65 Posts
357 Vs 40 cal conversion

In pondering the same question I can imagine the bottleneck 357 will feed better than the 9mm or 40 cal but in these short barrels which cal is more effective? Anyone chronograph ammo out of these pistols?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.