Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the original P40's were made did the right side of the frame say P11 or P40? I bought one hell of a reliable and good looking one from shuguy but the frame says P11.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
My P-40 says P-40. My P-11 says P-11. The lower end is the same no matter what it says, and they just took P-11 frames off the production line and made them P-40's. However, original P-40 grips say P-40 on the right side.

Regards, Keys 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what I thought, mine says P11. Do you know at any time if they ever shipped new P40's with the P11 on the frame?

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
norfdet893,
I deleted your duplicate post, if you noticed that it posted twice. It's up to Marty to answer your question, or some wise Kel-Tec sage from the past. I'd say no - it's either a conversion, or they replaced the grips - maybe got them confused with their P-11. Maybe they still own a P-11 that says P-40 on the side.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I even got the famous spare no expense Kel-Tec white box with mine, and it proudly says P-40 on it.

Regards, Keys 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, I am not sure why it double posted. I hit the submit button and I got alot of text at the top of the screen and a bunch of error messges.

Regarding the P11 frame, might be a conversion. The nice thing is that either way it really doesn't matter with these pistols. One more of the selling points for Kel-Tec's. I ran 50 rounds through mine today (125gr frangible lawman) without a hiccup, burp! or hitch. shoots better than my P11 and has now replaced it.

Does anyone know if Jack will fix his work if the pistol has transferred to another owner. This one was hard chromed by him and it is coming off on the front of the slide where the barrel and METAL guide rod come through.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I don't think they ever shipped P-40s with P-11 grips. I think I remember Marty saying they had no replacement grips marked with P-40 left in stock. I asked for one marked as P-357, but they never made it into production.

I would think that Jack would want to at least look at the plating job -- it is nickel rather than chrome, however. Call or email him and see what he says.

If not, you could still send it in to KT and they will swap it out for hard chrome for $20.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried to swap my frames today and the P40 didn't like my P11 frame at all. The P40 has probably set into the frame that it was on. i read somewhere that some people had P40's and P11's that they could not interchange.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
norfdet893,
Is it that you couldn't get the assembly pin in when you swapped the top end? You have to pull the slide back a little beyond where the slide lock has it in order to get the assembly pin to work its way in.

Regards, Keys 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No the slide pin went in fine, it was that the P40 slide did not seem to operate as smoothly on my 9mm P11 frame as it did on the P11 frame that it came on. No big deal but it seems that my 9mm P11 trigger is smoother now that I have about 1,000 rounds through it (without any problems). My only real complaint about the P11 and P40 is the trigger. But it works and the pistol goes bang every time. I personally just would like to have a 6.5 to 7lb trigger or even the 8.5lb trigger is fine just with less travel. But it doesn't discourage me becasue my P3At and my now P40 are carried more often than anything else that I own and I probably have 15-18 handguns. With the summer upon is here in the great commonwealth, I would imagine that most days the P3AT is all that I will want to carry as the temperature reaches the high 90's with matching humidity, shorts and a t-shirt is all that you can handle.

Can anyone that has either a hard chrome or a pistol that was plated by Jack comment on how the finish holds up after being against the body in an in-the-pants holster during the 90 degree days of summer. I know that my P11(blued) was rather ugly when I got it used, it is even more so now that it has been subjected to humidity and sweat. Now would probably be a good time to upgrade the P11 to a hard chrome from KT.

Regards

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I carried both (at different times) daily for a couple of years with absolutely no wear/loss to the finish. Both were P-32's, one plated by Jack and the other hard chromed by KT.

Also, if you add the trigger shoe to your P-11 & P-40 -- you will notice a dramatic improvement!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if you put the trigger shoe on the trigger do you have to make the modification to the trigger that YZ reccomends or do they stay on there just fine. My P40 has two holes on the right side of the trigger that I imagine are from tightning the trigger shoe on it previously. I have always wanted one so I guess i'll call KT and order (2).

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I just put mine on with the supplied screws -- have never had a problem. The added surface area really does make the trigger pull nicer.

·
Registered
519 Posts
some people drill into the trigger a small amount so the set screw is more secure. also use some loc-tite threadlock on it

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Uh, I lost one of my trigger shoes last time I went to the range so I guess I'd better look into a better method of fastening them.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
519 Posts
im still waiting for mine, should be here any day. i dont shoot that much, so i think i'll be ok. ill check the screws every so often anyhoo

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

norfdet893 said:
if you put the trigger shoe on the trigger do you have to make the modification to the trigger that YZ reccomends or do they stay on there just fine.
I counter sunk my set screws then placed a dab of super glue on the hole. The Allen wrench breaks through the glue if I need to remove them and it keeps the screws from backing out. My main problem is loosing that darn little ittsy bittsy tiny winy .035 Allen wrench! I just went to the Industrial tool supply store and bought 3 of them. I taped one to my P-11 box, one to my work bench wall, and the last I placed into my Allen wrench box. How much you all wanna bet I loose them all again?? :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the P40 that i just picked up, although it has a P11 frame, it has holes on the side of the trigger where it appears that a trigger shoe used to be so the holes are already there. i think i'm going to order one each for my P11 and P40. i'm waiting on an answer from bloodwalker on something before i place an order.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

norfdet893 said:
i think i'm going to order one each for my P11 and P40.
Ya I saw that, and I have an extra trigger shoe around here some where. I was going to offer to give it to you, but I can not find it. Oh well...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks, i appreciate that. as it is, I think that I am going to place an order for parts from KT. trying to find out if I can order a P11/P40 grip with the same internals that they sell the P3AT grips with. if that's the case then I am going to order a few things, trigger shoe's included when I order the frame/grip.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.