Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My P40 has issues with loading the last round in the mag. Sometimes it doesn't feed and jams half way in the chamber, or sometimes it skips the last round totally and leaves the cartridge in the mag. This happens about every other mag and it always happens on the last round. I've had this happen with two different mags (new)and with several brands of ammo. I'm presently using Federal Hydrashock 135gr. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
Normally, I would say that the mag spring is weak or broken, but you mentioned that they were new mags.

It would still be a good idea to take them apart and take a look, It could be that there is a rough spot near the top that is causing drag on the follower.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you using stock recoil spring? Try shooting the gun from a rest and really clamp down with both hands. The closer you get to the last round, the less mag spring pressure. If the slide is not moving back completely on recoil the mag has less window of opportunity to feed round. If the recoil spring is too heavy, the ammo too light, or you are limpwristing just a little, you will have increased chance of shortstroking and have more feed problems near the last of the mag.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
want a fool proof never jam mag for the P-40? Use P-11 mags. There are legs on the follower that keep it from going lower and reducing capacity, therefore making it a 10 round 9mm mag. This stabilizes the follower so that you will never have issues.

Keys :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts