Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the P-SIGHT from PS Enhancements? Sure would like some feedback before I purchase one.
I put small bright orange dots front and rear. Works pretty good on both black and white targets. But this new sight has my attention.

Thanks

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I know a few people have ordered and installed them, but they haven't reported back yet on their performance...
Results will hopefully start to trickle in soon.
Flyer

·
Registered
274 Posts
I got the sights about a week ago, put it on and waited the indicated 5 days. First impression is that this is a lot of money for a speck of plastic smaller than my little finger nail, but of course someone must pay for the tooling. Anyway, it's not much of a bargain, but I knew that when I ordered it and it fit perfectly, so what more could I want.

Took it to the range today and fired off 50 rounds. I found that at first I was LESS accurate than before. You suddenly have half a dozen sight pictures to choose from, and it takes some getting used to. I was off the paper my first mag, then got better. By the end of the box, I was back to about where I was before I put the sight on, say 4 or 5 inch groups at 7 yards.

I only bought this sight because I realize that there is just no way I'm ever going to be about to carry (unless I move), so I thought it might be fun to plink with once in a while. So far, I don't see a dramatic improvement. Maybe once I get another couple hundred rounds downrange it'll become more familiar, but unless you want to shoot targets and have some time to figure out the sight picture, I really wouldn't bother. For those who use the P-32 as a bug and only plan to shoot it up close and personal, these are really a waste of time. The factory sights are just fine for the intended purpose of the gun.

CA

·
Registered
209 Posts
I was just hoping that it would raise the rear of the gun a little. My P3AT shoots about 6 inches low at 5 yards and 8 or so at 10 yards. I figured I'd order one and fill in the notch a little if need be to make it shoot to point of aim.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
One of the potential problems with this sight (and again, I've never used one so can't endorse or dismiss it), is that you're still missing a good FRONT sight!
The triangle simply isn't gonna cut it. You need a small blade there to get an acceptable sight picture.
I'd post a pic of my sights on my ATs... except I know I'd get bombarded with requests for "drop-in" versions! Problem is, they're fitted into a little dovetail filed into the top of the slide... takes quite a bit of work.
I dunno... maybe I'll look into this a little more. There SHOULD be a way to make a front sight that could be attached with glue and remain solidly in place...
Flyer

·
Registered
51 Posts
CA-guy: Thanks for an honest report. Sounds like you're a very good shooter. Getting 4-inch groups at 7 yards from a P-3AT with factory sights is pretty impressive IMO! Sorry you don't get to carry it for its intended purpose. Maybe someday CA will wake up!

Flyer: You're exactly right! I'm just now starting to get feedback from those who have installed the P-Sight. Thus far, it's been very positive. I should have some user comments on the website soon.

Also, as far as the front sight, I agree that a square element would be best. However, the small amount of real estate available for the rear sight means it's very small, as noted by CA-guy, and in keeping with my desire to preserve the footprint of the pistol. Thus, there's not a lot of sight picture room left over. A square front element "blocking out" or covering the factory front triangle would be too big. I think the only way to do it would be to mill off the triangle and attach a small front blade. Feasible, but not easy.

While I do have a vested interest in saying this, I do find the sight picture with the P-Sight installed to be quite adequate. Enough daylight left and right of the front element to center and level it with ease:

G33: Like most if not all P-3AT's, mine, which was the guinea pig pistol, shot low at 5 yards. During testing, I mounted a P-Sight prototype onto my pistol by snugly fitting it into the rear sight cavity, then using a thin strip of masking tape around the back end of the slide, but above the hammer. It held the prototype in place very well. I then fired it, and incrementally shimmed it with small pieces of a thin plastic card until POI matched POA. This allowed me to determine the final dimensions of the P-Sight. Keep in mind that different pistols are, well, different, but the P-Sight will at least drastically improve point of impact if not put it right on point of aim at 5 yards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies on the P-SIGHT.
FLYER...I agree that you need a good front sight to make any rear sight work.

BULLSEYE (who just survived a major heart attack and is back on the range as good as ever!)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I might be way out in left field on this one. What about maybe using a BB for a front sight?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
A BB would work, but it's got one problem... it's heavy!
Sounds stupid, eh? But that slide's really moving on it's way back, and it'd have to be pretty strong glue to hold even that much steel in place.
An alternative would be a gold or silver bead from a craft store. These are available in either plastic or glass (I'd go with plastic!), and have very little weight. In fact, a good cyanoacrylate glue (Krazy-Glue) should hold it in place just fine.
Oh yeah, if you're gonna mount a bead, here's an old R/C modeler's trick for making these glues work better:
After prepping the area behind the front site where you'll put the bead, i.e., hitting it with a little steel wool to roughen the surface and some alchohol to remove oil, lightly dust the area with baking soda. Dip the bead into it too, and lightly blow off the excess.
The baking soda acts as an accelerant; it's going to harden that glue right now! Any excess around the area will soak up excess glue and become hard as a rock, so be sure you don't overdo it.
Anyow, in my experience this will double the strength of the bond.
Flyer

·
Registered
31 Posts
P-sight installed

I just received my P-sight on Saturday and installed it right away. Now I just have to wait the 5 days for a full cure on the glue. It fit perfectly and installation was a breeze. My initial impression is that the sight picture is much easier to pick up now. I find that instead of a BUG it has become more of a primary carry during the hot weather and I like the idea of the improved sight picture in case I have to make a little longer shot. I will post some performance info. once I get a chance to live fire it. So far I'm impressed.

Sub2k

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are shotgun beads that can be mounted very easily.

Even better would be a low profile mid-rib bead.

Most are screw on so all you would have to do is drill a hole and tap it, then screw on the bead with a little loctite.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sold on P sight

Got my P-sight about two weeks ago. I’m very pleased with it. This sight is a big improvement over the factory sights.

Of course the P3AT isn’t a target weapon, and it shoots about a foot low for me at 7 yards, both with point shooting and aimed shooting. Haven't tried the P-sight much with point shooting, but it sure helps with aimed shooting. Especially with my well over age 45 eyes. I normally don’t wear glasses except when reading. So if I ever need the weapon quickly I probably won’t have glasses on.

Before installing the P-sight, aimed shooting without my glasses was a joke. I just couldn’t get any kind of decent group, even at 7 yards. Even with my glasses, it took considerable attention to holding up just the proper amount of front sight to make it strike close to point of aim and the group was large.

Today (while wearing glasses) I fired 18 aimed rounds, two handed hold at 7 yards. The center of the group was about 2 inches high and an inch or so right of my aim point. I could cover the group with my fist and 8 of the rounds went into one ragged hold that can be completely covered with a quarter.

I then took the glasses off and did the same thing again. I could still cover the group with my fist, but there was no ragged hole. For me that’s great with this weapon and no glasses.

I’m working on longer range shooting, I have been doing some shooting as far away as 75 yards, but accuracy at that distance is still in the 55 gallon barrel category. That's probably due as much to the pounding my trigger finger takes from the trigger guard as anything.

Overall I’m sold on the P-sight.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think the P sight is an excellent after-market add-on. Granted these mouse guns are not target guns but point and shoot. Still, the P sight made a world of difference for me (another aging baby boomer whose peepers ain't what they used to be). What is interesting is how accurate my little P-3AT is now that my aim is improved.

It was a snap to install. Just a word of advice....when applying, you more than likely will get some black colored Loctite run-off that has to be removed. Obviously, it's more visible on a plated slide than on a stock blue. I found that a little gentle back and forth with 400 wet/dry paper got the stuff off my Jack Fuselier nickel plated slide (don't know how it would work on factory chromed slide). Maybe someone has a better idea for how to remove this stuff.

http://www.psenhancements.com/

I am pleased! :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
P-Sight shooting report

Well I waited the 5 days and finally got to try out the P-Sight. My results were very similar to grb crb's. I shot 5 targets with 5 rounds each from 7 yards. My smallest group was 1.5" and the largest was 2.25", for an average of 1.825". I found sight aquisition to be much easier than I expected for a small sight. It shoots 2-2.25" above POA. I was impressed with the ease of installation & excellent fit and now that I have shot with it I am very impressed. A great improvement to a great little pocket gun.

Sub2k

·
Registered
274 Posts
Note on installing this sight. The glue included with the sight is really very good stuff. The little tube that comes with the sight is enough to install maybe 1,000 of the little suckers. What you want is ONE tiny drop right in the center of the cutout on the back of the slide, then slide the sight in. If you do it right, none of the glue will ooze up and get all over the place.

A tiny drop will do you. If it looks like you used just enough, you used too much.

CA

·
Registered
21 Posts
More on the P-Sight

I installed the P-Sight on my P-3AT and test fired it last weekend. It was like a new gun! My group at 25 feet (long range for the P-3AT) was tighter than it had ever been, but even more importantly, the gun was much more comfortable to shoot. It's frustrating when you have difficulty acquiring the sight picture, and the P-Sight made that problem almost disappear; of course, the front sight can still be hard to pick up, but at least there is now a 'frame.'
I did notice that it tended to shoot high, but I believe this is because I am used to aiming the P-3AT high to compensate for its unusual sight characteristics. In time, I'm sure this tendency will go away.

-- Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
Finally shot mine with the P-Sight

and I'm very happy. I was much more accurate tonight than any other time I have shot this gun. No stacking and no guessing, just a normal sight picture and all the shots easily covered up by a 8" plate at 15 feet.

I recommend it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.