Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have this problem? I carry my P3AT in my left front pocket in a converted UM#1. Occasionally (reads::more often than not) I find that the magazine has been released and is sticking out about a 1/8 of an inch, from the magazine well, inside the pocket. In essence, my P3AT has been converted to a single shot. I can only imagine that the magazine release is getting depressed inside the pocket while sitting. Does KT make a heavier spring for the mag release or is there an aftermarket spring that can be installed? Is anyone else experiencing this problem with front pocket carry? As I remember it would also happen when I daily carried my P32. I don't want to file the "button" down as this would probably make reloads much harder and slower.

Suggestions....

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
mag release

i am right handed and carry mine in my right front pocket in an azrial budget holster. i havn't experienced this. i even have an uncle mike slip on grip partially covering the button. it takes a definite push to release mine. the stop to reinsert the mag is so pronounced that i depress the button during reinsertion so as not to shave material from the inside of the catch. maybe you need to re-position your release if possible or your spring is weak or you need a new assembly. can you feel your mag stop when the bottom of the button hits the top of the mag prior to it snapping into the cut out? is this even clear?

after looking at mine, the button is not covered by the holster and is held away from contact with my leg by the thickness of the leather.

maybe you ought to get rid of that washrag and buy a real holster. :lol:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Norf,

Sounds like it's time to invest in a better holster. I use an Uncle Mike's too, but I don't carry much and when I do it's in the right front pocket. That tucks the release inside, out of the way. I've read you can file or cut down the release button almost flush with the grip, but I haven't done so with my P-32.

CA

P.S. Like your pic. One of my neighbors works on the show and I've watched it from the start. Wish they filmed more episodes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a better holster might do it and yes I can feel the magazine catch when I insert it. I am not sure how to fix this....it is an intermittent problem...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mag Release

My P32 occasionally does the same thing. I've always felt these small pocket guns would be better served by a heel-clip type magazine release instead of a 1911 style push button. It would be more secure and less prone to accidental release. After all, a fast tactical reload is hardly a consideration for this type of gun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Norf, it's the mag catch. I had the exact same problem, looked at it and sure nuf the catch was whittled down on the bottom. Only fix is to call KT and order a couple of them. It's like using metal mags with a glock, over time it just wears out. I asked KT if they had a metal replacement for it... no luck, checking locally to see if i can find a machine shop for the mod.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I agree with warden. I suspect the mag catch is worn. Byron's suggestion of holding the mag release button while reinserting mags is a prudent one. I also agree with Kel-Log's opinion of heel release mags for pocket pistols.

Just 2 kitchen table gunsmith's cents. :wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts
P3AT Mag release

I would opt for both a heavier mag release spring and a metal mag release.
My gun has had only limited firing . Some of it was with heavy handloads which occasionally popped the mag release.
Given some of the Ketec reliability problems, this one is an easy fix the company should jump on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also now use a modified UM#1 and carry in my left pocket but only have been doing so for a week. I’ve had no problem with the magazine catch releasing and I suspect you may have a weak magazine catch spring and/or a worn catch. My P3AT is a little over a month old and the magazine catch does take a conscience effort to activate with a full magazine. I also like to depress the catch when routinely inserting the magazine.
I find my P3AT/UM#1 package works great in loose fitting shorts & pants with cargo pockets but it is rather bulky & uncomfortable in my Levi’s pocket while sitting & driving. I suspect a more expensive leather holster would be no different.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also now use a modified UM#1 and carry in my left pocket but only have been doing so for a week. I’ve had no problem with the magazine catch releasing and I suspect you may have a weak magazine catch spring and/or a worn catch. My P3AT is a little over a month old and the magazine catch does take a conscience effort to activate with a full magazine. I also like to depress the catch when routinely inserting the magazine.
I find my P3AT/UM#1 package works great in loose fitting shorts & pants with cargo pockets but it is rather bulky & uncomfortable in my Levi’s pocket while sitting & driving. I suspect a more expensive leather holster would be no different.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It could be that the mag catch is worn as I fiddle with the P3AT alot. Perhaps Bloodwalker could chime in and give an opinion before I bother KT with it. I would imagine that a new spring and/or assembly would be in order but I would like to know if there is heavier spring that could be installed first.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mag catch/spring

I second Norfdet673 s idea of trying a stronger mag catch spring first.
Personally, I'm not happy about a plastic mag catch scraping against a steel mag slot. Neither is Glock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Problem Went Away

Norfdet --
I posted this response a few weeks ago to someone who was shopping for a holster:

"I wear an Uncle Mike's IWB just forward of my right pelvic bone. I find that it's comfortable here even with a seatbelt when I'm driving (I'm 6' tall and drive a Miata). I tried wearing it on the left (cross draw) one time when I went to WalMart, and when I got home I discovered that the pressure from the seatbelt pushing the gun against my body had popped the clip! When that happens, you better make the first shot count because there won't be a second!"

Since posting this I have continued to carry on the right side between the 1 and 2 o'clock positions, and I have not had a recurrence of 'clip pop.'

-- Steve

·
Registered
519 Posts
as far as filing down the button, i remember someone long ago asking if the button was hollow or not. might want to keep that in mind. also, concerning the uncle mikes #1, ive heard that it can rotate and cause the gun to point up. i suppose that would depend on pocket size and how tight of pants also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re:

packin heat said:
...concerning the uncle mikes #1, ive heard that it can rotate and cause the gun to point up. i suppose that would depend on pocket size and how tight of pants also...
I can speak from personal experience that once in my pocket my UM #1 does not "rotate". If a holster is made particuliarly for the largest pockets it surely won't fit normal sized pockets. It's size is about right and any larger it would not fit in my size 38 Levi's front pocket.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I noticed when I was shooting the postal match, I kept hitting the mag release every other shot and dropping the mag. Think I'll try that sanding it down thing....So now I need the chrome upgrade, p sight, sand the mag release, and make the thingy that adds length of pull..... Gee!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Mine needs a change -- it pops the mag on every shot. I know I'm not even touching it. I wish that was a part they had made out of metal rather than plastic.

The sharp edge of the hole in the metal mag is going to shave off plastic over time...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts