Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm at the range shooting off a few rounds and start to have a failure to feed on just about every round. After examining the magazine I'm using I notice that it is broke. Not only broke but the follower can be easily pushed up through the top. This was obviously causing my FTF problems used another mag and it shot off the rest of the box without problems.

Look at the photos I have attached and you will see where it broke. I took a photo of the broken mag and another mag that appears to be stressed in the same places. It appears it's just a matter of time before the other mag bites the dust too.

Comparing with another mag that has seen very little use is it obvious this damage is happening when firing.

I'm sure KT will take care of me and you can bet they will get a call first AM Monday. Funny thing is I just had them send me some followers on Friday. I was worried about the damage they had seen.

Has anybody else seen this? Take a look at your mags if you would, you might be surprised at what they look like.

Colorado Fatboy has attached

·
Registered
432 Posts
Looks like you need to do the smiley mod. Your pics are interesting, in that most of the damage to mags I've seen posted here (all, in fact) has been damage to the front of the follower, which happens when you fire the last round in your mag. I continue to be amazed that KT hasn't modified their feedramp, as it seems to be a continuing problem for various reasons.

·
Registered
16 Posts
C.F.B.,

I'm the newest member here I think, and a total rookie to K-Ts but my mags are made by Mec-Gar in Italy and in my experience, they are among the best mags on the planet. They make factory mags for about thirty handgun manufacturers all over the world. Their Browning HP mags are the standard by which all others are measured. I carry them exclusively in my full size 1911s, too.

Are your mags marked Mec-Gar or with the logo "-A-" anywhere on the body or baseplate?

Rabbi

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, I've seen a couple of magazines that were on the verge of splitting in that area.
I'm pretty sure it's the result of the follower being pounded repeatedly against the mag rear. Rabbi's right, Mec-Gar makes some of the very best mags to be found anywhere - they've contracted mags for Beretta, Sig, and various other 'big' brand pistols.
The smiley mod WILL take care of this problem, though.
Flyer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. Yes the mags are KT originals made my Mec-Gar.

Flyer I looked around for a bit and can't seem to find the instructions for the smiley mod. Could you please point me in the right direction? Seems like it's time to do that!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To update this thread a bit I spoke with Marty last week about my magazines and he seemed to think it was the way I was holding the gun.

Anyways he said I had to send in my magazines as he could not just send them out any more. He said "they have been getting on me for doing that lately" Anyways Marty was great to talk with and hopefully once all the mess from Frances is cleaned up I will get some new magazines. Allthough I have a feeling I'm going to keep having problems!

I had a chance to look closely at another P3AT side by side with mine. With both slides removed and magazine inserted I could move my mag around enough to see the magazine touching the frame. The other gun did not do this allthough it did have a mark in the same place on the frame where mine hits. This other gun only had a few mags through it and the magazine looked fine. Using my magazine and the other one it did the same thing, hit on mine and not the other one.

Seems like mabie there is a frame problem. For now I have 2 mags that are not damaged to the point where I think they will fail. Will keep monitoring problem and see what happends.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Colorado,

I have two original mags that have the same exact damage as shown in your pics. I'm not buying Marty's pitch about " it is the way the gun is being held". From a corporate stand point.......Kel-Tec may not want employees to talk openly about certain things until quality issues are worked out.

.......hmmmm, what's next?? Kel-Tec just may try to tell us that our smilies are the result of the way we hold our guns?? ...(...jokingly stated and not meant to offend anyone...)

On the flip side, pound for pound......oops, I should say ounce for ounce and dollar for dollar I think the Kel-Tec products are a bargin.

Kelmarkv8 / nc

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Kelmarkv8,
CAREFUL about how we refer to other members...
Marty is "Bloodwalker" here, and a member in good standing at KTRange.
You're right that sometimes employees may be prohibited from discussing certain aspects of the product. However, if that were the case Marty simply wouldn't have remarked on it - there's no need to invent a lie. He's helped many members of the Range with their guns, and will be treated with respect, not suspicion.
Flyer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Flyer,

You are right. I respect your words of caution. My comments were NEVER intended to discredit anyone. I apologize to anyone that feels the comment was out of line.

Thanks,
Kelmarkv8 / nc

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
No harm done. We just like to keep the Range a bit more friendly than other forums, and let the name-callers stay in their other playgrounds... we're a lot happier that way!
Welcome to the Range, by the way!
Flyer

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
mag failure

col.fat. how many rounds total did you have thru your 3at before the mag failed? on closer inspection i found a very slight flattening of the front of my mag. i did the mod after 50 rounds thru mine. the mag does not show near the distress yours does. flyers right, all the more reason to relieve the end of the ramp even if you're not going to use hp.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Byron, the gun had 700-800 rounds. Not with just one mag either. If I switched it every other time that would be no more than 400 per mag.

As I said above comparing with another P3AT it appears mine is defective. On the other one I can't make the edge of the mag touch the frame like I can on mine. I've only heard of a few people having this problem, so I don't believe it's wide spread.

I am going to do the smiley mod any day now. Allthough I don't know that it will help this problem as the magazine is what is making contact. It's definatley worth a try though.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
mag

cf, after doing the mod to the ramp. i fired approx 150 more rnds. and i believe that solved the problem. i'll fire at least 50/100 today and check it again since i have isolated the damage. i'll bet it does not worsen. i've come to the conclusion that the ramp mod is absolutely imperative to forestall this kind of damage. the mod has not compromised the feeding, extraction or ejection of my gun in any way. i think that all of my damage occurred during the first 50 rnds i fired and has not recurred since doing the mod.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Byron, I'll look for your results later.

When you take your gun down take a look at the part of the frame where the damage on the mag has occured. I'm curious if it shows signs of mag contact.

Once I do the smiley mod I'm going to take my Sharpe pen and color in that area and see if it is still happening.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts