Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted on another thread I purchased a used P3AT at a gun show, I got a box of Blazer 380 Auto 95 gr. FMJ ammo also. Got home and not a single round would extract from the chamber more then halfway. I have used hundreds of rounds of Blazer in my .45 cal Glock 30sf without an issue so I made a quick trip to a gun shop and the only brand name I recognized was Federal 380 Auto 95 gr. TMJ. Got home and the same thing, not a single round would extract completely. I found this forum and the fix or Fluff & Buff as you guys call it was to install a second spring. So I ordered a new extractor and spring from Kel-Tec, it is a used gun so I never thought to even ask for warranty replacement, we are talking about $5 plus shipping, I also ordered the Belt Clip kit. Well the parts showed up today and I installed the extractor and spring, I got two rounds without an issue but the third round FTE. I then added the original spring, all six rounds fired without an issue...I only had time to test the Federal ammo before it got too dark to see the target. So this weekend between snow storms I hope to test fire the Blazer as well. Someone suggested the spring screw should be replaced with a slightly longer one, as of now I don't see a problem with the firing pin not being retained, not saying I won't get one, I see the concern.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I trust you were shooting Blazer brass cased rounds, rather than steel. Steel is really tough on the extractor.

Since this is a used gun, it is quite possible someone shot some cheap steel cased ammo (Tula is common) before you got it.

Although the stacked extractor springs seem to remedy some extraction issues, the problems may be the result of a worn or damaged extractor, rather than a spring issue.

In you case, it sounds like you ought to request a new extractor from Kel-Tec. While you are communicating with them, you could discuss possibly sending the gun in if the new extractor and spring combination do not solve your issues.

We have a couple of P-3AT's at our house. One has fired several thousand rounds of good quality brass ammo and eventually needed a new extractor. When I first starting experiencing occasional failures to extract, I doubled up the spring to get by until Kel-Tec mailed me new parts. I had the spring on hand, but no spare extractor. That served the purpose for a while. Eventually, the new extractor and new spring and screw arrived and now the pistol looks better and is back to its old reliable self.

I was a little surprised at how beat up the tip of the screw was when I replaced it. I try to avoid dry firing which is what buggers up the end, but it happens.

Life is good now. Here's hoping replacing the extractor itself, along with a new spring and screw will make your pistol run well too.

Best of luck! We are expecting to hear a good report in the future.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum, sr!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A quick update, I got the new spring and extractor, with the new extractor and spring I got two shoots off before a FTE. I then put the old spring on top the new spring and all six rounds fired without an issue. I only tested with the Federal rounds, when I can get out in daylight I will try the Blazer again. A longer screw was suggested by someone as the spring screw, doesn't seem to be a problem, the firing pin is retained both direction by the spring screw. I saw no damage to the screw tip, they sent me a new screw but it is a star drive not a hex, I didn't remember where my star drivers are, maybe buried deep in the motorcycle's tool bag so I reused the original screw with blue Locktite...Just remembered I had some in my Wheeler Gun Smith bit set.
I made some dummy rounds but I need to get some more mags so I don't need to unload my only mag just to use them.

Part 2

Okay I got two mag loads fired, one all Blazer and one 6+1 with Blazer and Federal alternating...all fired no issues. Now I need to use a target and practice aiming the gun. I have been firing at a steel target with no luck at 25 feet just firing off the hip(not using the sights) BTW only using one hand while shooting.

Not sure where I should say this but removing the take down pin was one of the biggest learning curve on this gun. Instead of a flat screw driver or shell case I have found after retracting the slide a little I can work a spoon under the head and I have a smooth fulcrum to pop the pin with. I some time have to use my fingernail to get enough room for the spoon to fit. Okay I normally don't carry a spoon to the range but works great at the bench.

·
Registered
297 Posts
i keep some chop sticks in my range bag. the fte is a p3at and pf9 problem. it is hit and miss if your gun will get it. i have seen some p3at and pf9 that will not do it no matter the ammo, how dirty the gun is, and if you limp wrist or not. i got one of the first 2nd gen p3at that was a "pos" until i reworked the gun. picked up a newer second p3at and i can not make it mess up. got a pf9 that i and kel tec has done so much work the gun is like new with all the new parts, i.e. barrel, slide, frame, mags, mags release, firing pins, extractors etc.... and it still will do a fte at a drop of a hat. we have been working on this gun off and on for two years. it has become a rainy day project. so this week i cut/file the inside of the extractor so it will set deeper in the slide. should get a better grip of the case. will see monday if it works. it not then it will be the two springs setup. some have had good luck with the two spring setup on the p3at and pf9. some have not. most that have done the two spring has put in a longer screw. it does not take much, but it hold the firing pin in place better. so it looks like the two spring setup is the trick for you.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
i keep some chop sticks in my range bag. the fte is a p3at and pf9 problem. . . .

so this week i cut/file the inside of the extractor so it will set deeper in the slide. should get a better grip of the case. will see monday if it works. it not then it will be the two springs setup. some have had good luck with the two spring setup on the p3at and pf9. some have not. most that have done the two spring has put in a longer screw. it does not take much, but it hold the firing pin in place better. so it looks like the two spring setup is the trick for you.
Hey, Mr. Frank Mako!

And here I thought I was a tinkerer . . . my hat is off to you, sir!

We have two 100% reliable, second generation P-3AT's. One is probably from the same time frame as your first one and was my "rainy day project" for a while too. It is incredibly smooth running now. The second is my wife's hard chrome model that was completely rebuilt by Kel-Tec after a "Ka-Boom", apparently with an overcharged commercial round from a box of Federal American Eagle. It is running well now, but required a little tinkering after the first few hundred rounds. Go figure.

At one point I installed a new extractor from Kel-Tec in her gun and discovered it sat a little lower, like your modified piece. If you develop "Failure To Feed" (FTF) issues with the revised extractor, you might try relieving and/or polishing inner surface of the slide on the side opposite the extractor to provide an easier path for the rims of in-coming cases. That was the final step in making her gun run like the proverbial sewing machine. Then again, you have probably already thought of that. :oops:

At this point, neither gun is noticeably sensitive to "limp wristing" or a relaxed grip. We have moved on to other pocket artillery, but both those little puppies inspire confidence by their smooth and easy feeding, even if you ride the slide a little, and have a current record of many hundreds of trouble free rounds at the range.

Folks with less smooth P-3AT's are always encouraged by shooting either of these and experiencing how smoothly a P-3AT can run with enough attention.

Oh, and I also derive a little evil pleasure out of handing either of them to a fellow shooter, who is often surprised by their fierce recoil. But, even those unsuspecting shooters have not experienced any failures.

Life is good and entertainment is where you find it. :jester:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts