Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, finally fired some fmjrn yesterday and guess what? :D, smilies. i've looked all over for the pictures showing the "severe" mod, i believe by "old grandpa" and/or "flyer" but can't find it. HELP!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
ramp mod

hi, byron,
the smilie/ramp mod thread is in the members section...

http://www.ktrange.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=49&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The ramp mod is originally Flyer's method, also posted on the home page as a separate article.

The smilie problem took a lot of midnight study by lots of people, not just me. Harley, Murray, norf, MichDan,ppmd,Flyer,Blackhawk,everybody until we finally figured it out. Not just a simple one-event action but a combination of mechanical actions, including, in my opinion, the weakness of the magazine and how the rounds move up during cycling.
The ramp mod really works. Thanks, Flyer, for having the guts to try it in the first place. It may not completely eliminate the last little remnant of a smiley due to the pistol getting fouled after about 20 rounds, then the top round gets pushed forward more into the path of the ramp.
The thread is a long one and gets boring reading it after awhile.

Good luck. Let us know your results.

og.......now if Kel Tec will only make a P3ATa......no need for a recall, just make a new model including a slide lock!!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ramp mod

many thanks to all :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: ramp mod

oldgranpa said:
It may not completely eliminate the last little remnant of a smiley due to the pistol getting fouled after about 20 rounds, then the top round gets pushed forward more into the path of the ramp.
I was wondering about that!

oldgranpa, are you saying this is normal?

I have filed a pretty deep half circle into my feed ramp (about as far as I want to go) and am still getting a little smiley!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
yes!! normal but OK...

kokapelli,
yes, it's normal but you have eliminated the worst of it, especially the concern, never proven, of overpressure due to setback of the bullet in the cartridge. Also, since JHP's are a little shorter, OAL, the damage to the nose will be insignificant.
(Also, note, you may need to file off the "ears" on the sides of the half-moon to help it. Details in the thread posted.)

As was detailed in the long, boring thread that I posted, the problem is not completely gone because of the loading mechanism when a round is cycled during firing. The next round in the mag is moving up while the slide is cycling and the long ramp in the underside of the slide drags the top of the 'next' round, sliding it forward in the magazine a little. This gets worse as the pistol gets fouled from shooting and eventually a little smiley will appear.

I tried some punch marks on my mag and roughed the inside at the back of the mag to give more resistance to the cartridge. All of this boring stuff is in the thread if anyone wants to read it.

A better magazine made from bare stainless steel, not polished, and a tighter grip at the back would help. This would be a big design change for Kel Tec 'cause the MecGar mags are all with the slippery, black enamel. Can't have everything.

But, geez, with all the research done here on KTR, Kel Tec ought to take advantage of it. Free to them. Would mean a better pistol for us.

Whatever!!

og...gone back in my hole.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.