Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm at it again.every thing ready to start the smily ramp mod. and i can't get the gun apart. put my manual where i wouldn't lose it and now i can't find it. retracted the slide and took out the assembly pin and the slide will NOT come off the grip! moves forward about an eighth of an inch and stops.i have cajoled, cursed, popped a nitro and finally put it down. what am i doing wrong? :oops:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
byron,
Try pushing the guide rod assembly upwards into the slide as you pull it forwards... usually this helps out.
Also... make sure you've taken the mag out!
That was mainly for the tyros, but it's amazing how many times I still find myself forgetting to yank it out myself...
Flyer

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
flyer

strange, strange, strange. i was sweating blood. this morning, after letting it sit all night i kept retracting the slide and moving it forward and shazam, it just slid off. must have done it 100 times. wish i could remember the particular words i was muttering at the time. luckily my wife was baby sitting our grand daughter. however, the neighbor kid [you met him at "olde english"] learned some new and unique names for a p3at. i'll start the mod tommorrow :D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Like that wascally wabit(some weird fourlettered words) followed by a loud clunking noise as something hits the wall and tumbles to the floor.

I did that same type of disagreement when I first disassembled my hi-point 9mm, the kt was spared the profane words.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Easy disassembly

After disassembling my P-3AT a dozen or so times, I finally found what must be absolute easiest way to do it.

I put my left thumb 3/4" below the serial number, my left middle finger against the barrel, squeeze just a little to move the slide back about 1/8" or so. While holding it there, I use a fingernail on my right hand to slide the assembly pin out as far as it will go real easily -- about 1/32" or so. I then use a screwdriver in my right hand to put one side of the blade behind the shoulder on the assembly pin, and rotate the screwdriver until the pin snaps by the spring, then use my right thumb and index finger to remove the pin. Sliding the slide forward off the frame is no problem.

I can't imagine an easier way to remove the assembly pin than this. Try it -- you'll like it!

I usually remove the recoil springs (190,191), recoil spring guide (105), and recoil spring catch (104), and put them safely aside where they won't get lost. If I plan to do much, I would also remove the ejector (115) so it won't fall out unexpectedly.

To put the assembly pin back when assembling the gun, I also use the same hand hold to slide the slide back about 1/8" and the pin goes right in easily.

Snailmailer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Using fingernail

I tried with my fingernail, and was afraid I'd break it. I tried with my thumbnail, and was able to remove it. It snapped completely out all at once. My serial number is H7Sxx, so I presume it has the latest assembly pin, which may have a bit deeper shoulder which must climb over the spring, making it perhaps a bit harder to remove. I think I'll stick with the screwdriver, though, to eliminate the chance of breaking my nails. As usual, your mileage may vary.

Well, I just tried it a second time, and I guess I will use my thumb nail from now on. Don't want to be a wimp, you know!

Snailmailer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.