Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I posted about my new P3AT, which had just about everything wrong with it that I could find on this forum. FTE's, smileys, assembly pin backing out ect. Well, I sent it back to Kel-Tec less than a month ago and its back already. The repair order says that they restamped a new frame and rebuilt the entire gun, but if thats what they did, they gave me a new barrel too because I had polished mine up, and this is a different (and better) one. I took the gun out immediately and shot 100 rounds through it, 4 different kinds of ammo, some magtec, some federal american eagle, sellor and bellot and federal hydrashoks. Results: not one FTE, pin stayed put, and no more smileys. I am now a happy man, and I wrote Kel-tec and told them so. I would recommend anyone having trouble with one of these guns to send it back and let Kel-Tec make it right.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
excellent!

Vaportrail,
excellent news! glad to have you here. Sounds like KelTec re-designed your P3AT, especially the barrel. No smileys is great news. Can you tell by looking if the barrel is different, especially the feed ramp. Lots of pictures in the members section on Maximizing Minaturiztion under the Smiley thread. Sure would like to know if KelTec has come up with an anti-smiley barrel.
If so, they are only one step away from the perfect pocket pistol, add a slide stop and it's there!
A glowing review in the present issue of the NRA "Rifleman" magazine lists the slide stop as the only item lacking.
og......waiting and dreaming

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kel-Tec Service

I read alot of good about Kel-Tec's service but I would lke to shared a heads up I have experienced.

I sent my P3AT in on 6/16 with a check for $20 to upgrade to the chrome slide. After calling a week later found out they automatically put a 15 day hold on checks and the guns sits. I understand that policy but I guess I wish it would have been posted somewhere. Then when I offered my credit card they wouldn't take it as they had run out of chrome slides. Each week it's been "try back next week".

Less than impressive, I just hope I have no trouble with the gun when I get it back, not sure I would wait another month without it.

In comparison my Kahr PM9 went back and was turned around same day and back to me in less than a week.

<end whining>

G

·
Great, I just sent my slide in today with a check to get the HC upgrade. As an LEO I informed them that this was my back-up gun. They did say that they had HC slides in that they now test fire them in advance so when they get mine (tomorrow) hopefully they will send my new one back out. I also sent them a copy of my ID at their request. They said that this will enable me to order LEO accessories. I didn't know they had any other than the 12 round P11 mag. This company is full of suprises. I'll post when the new slide gets here so that others can get an indea of turn around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How about some input!!

:( I bought my gun in May, and shot a few rounds of Win Hardball and Fed premium with great results. Then my copy of American Rifleman arrived, and I read the review. WoW!! the test gun failed in about 50 rounds. So I took mine to the range and cycled about 25 rounds of the Win hardball, and experienced a trigger failure. Pulling the trigger with a round in the chamber, the hammer did not activate and the the thing was "DEAD"!! I fussed and messed with it without a live round, and got it to work. Pulling the trigger, the hammer cycled and fell as to fire. Then I tried it again, and the bad boy did not work. I took it to my dealer, and he has returned it to Kel-Tec. This scares me, is it going to fail me again? I carried this as back up in NEW ORLEANS (you only get one chance here)!! I want it to be as reliable as my Glock, or a S&W wheelie, Any similar experiences?? Thanks Catfish!

G

·
sounds like the trigger pin backed out. it is not uncommon and is easily fixed. i am sure that when it comes back it will be 100%. the trigger pin problem has happened to a fair share of people with P3AT's but they usually fix it themselves. I attempted to replace my extractor this morning and was successfull in removing all the parts......it was getting them back in that was the problem. i figured that as long as i was sending it back that i might as well get the HC upgrade. i miss my P3AT as it was my BUG daily on and off duty. I have been using my P32 for the time being but I would rather have the 380.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Welcome, catfishbill!
I want it to be as reliable as my Glock, or a S&W wheelie, Any similar experiences?? Thanks Catfish!
Well... THAT is a TALL order! Hardly ANYTHING'S more reliable than the two you picked!
Norf nailed it pretty well, though, with his trigger pin diagnosis. Those that have had this problem usually glue the pin permanently into place with Loc-Tite or other suitable adhesive, and the problem never occurs again.
One thing I'd like to point out about this... there's no reason to worry about getting the glue off again, EVER. The design of the pistol is such that if ever the trigger needs replacing, or the trigger axis it connects to, the trigger must be BROKEN APART to do so, and a new one installed!
So... no need to worry about permanent glue affecting THIS part!
Flyer

·
Registered
13 Posts
norfdet893,
I sent my P-3AT to Kel tec for frame replacement and the HC upgrade. The pistol was received by them on 06/04/04. I too told them it was my qualified BUG for on duty carry. It's been gone six weeks now. I hope you have better luck that I have! Hey, I bought another one so I wouldn't have to carry a dept issue snubbie! That's not all bad though. now when the other one comes home I'll have two.
s45

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, wouldn't ya know! My P-3AT came home from it's Florida vacation today. It's sporting the new hard chrome slide and barrel, along with a new frame. According to the repair order sheet that came with it, they had also completely rebuilt the gun. Guess that's routine. The gun had less than 300 rds thru it. It looks good, I'll test fire it tomorrow for sure. I hope it's good to go now, don't like having to send it away for 6 weeks at a time. Cheers to all.
s45

G

·
Re:

Smokey45 said:
norfdet893,
I sent my P-3AT to Kel tec for frame replacement and the HC upgrade. The pistol was received by them on 06/04/04. I too told them it was my qualified BUG for on duty carry. It's been gone six weeks now. I hope you have better luck that I have! Hey, I bought another one so I wouldn't have to carry a dept issue snubbie! That's not all bad though. now when the other one comes home I'll have two.
s45
I also sent them a letter with the slide stating that this was an on-duty BUG. They told me that they now test fire the slides in advance so as soon as they get it they should also be sending out the new one. If it is not here by the middle of next week than i will call them. For the time being, I am using my P32. That's nice that your Department issues you a BUG....wish mine did...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, sent a few rounds downrange with the new HC factory rebuilt P-3AT. Function was 100% I was using the Winchester 95 gr FMJ. However-------------MAJOR smiles!! Looks like I'm going to have to do a little feed ramp work before I carry it again. This ammo has a flat point, I am surprised it feed at all with that much contact with the feed ramp. For now, my second P-3AT is running 100% without the smiles. Both mutilate brass on ejection. Looks like it hits the bottom edge of the ejection port on the way out. Not enough stock in that area to lower the ejection port. On the plus side, I don't reload for the .380 anyway. Looks like the assembly pin may stay put in both of them!
Cheers,
s45

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's not the ejection port doing the denting; it's the top of the barrel hood slamming down onto the empty case as it's being extracted.
I've posted a mod in the Maximizing M. forum that deals with this.
Flyer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the "heads up" Flyer! There is a lot of metal transfer on the bottom edge of the ejection port (Brass) which made me think the case was hitting that edge. I'll check out your fix and see it I can improve on this situation. Don't know why it bothers me, I don't reload for the .380.
s45

1 - 15 of 15 Posts