Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate any input comparing the P32 to the J-Frame smith line. My wife is small and does not have great hand strength but up to this point she has had a S/W 638 (Bodyguard) or a Colt Cobra as her "carry pistol". The d/a on both these revolvers is pretty heavy. Would the P32 be a good option for her? It would be smaller, therefore easier to carry and conceal, but how do you think the d/a trigger would be for her? Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Also I notice KelTec offers a "rimlock" prevention accessory, does anyone have any experience with this product. Thanks, PX15

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can only respond to a couple of points, but first and foremost, will your wife be willing to learn a different manual of arms in order to properly use an automatic pistol? I'm assuming that you've spoken to her about this, and she is comfortable with making this kind of switch. Pardon me if you've already done this, but it is important. I tried and tried to get some things explained to my ex-wife regarding autos, but she steadfastly refused to learn. Since I didn't want to deal with giving singing lessons to barnyard animals, I stopped wasting any more time on that project.

Secondly, on the rimlock kit, they are only available for the 7 round and 10 round magazines. The recommendation that I have is for you to get the Plus One extension kit for the 7 round magazine, which enhances the gripping surface even for smaller hands, and also gives you 8 + 1 capacity. But, you will have to hand modify the magazine to ensure that rim lock will not occur, especially with Cor-Bon ammunition. There are a few different methods available to do this, the most well known being the Flyer Wire. It takes a little bit of time, but there is no real expense.

HTH,

emc

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Purely from a technical standpoint, the P-32 will be considerably easier for her to handle in several ways, the trigger pull being the most important... it's very light and smooth, around 5 1/2 lbs.
Concealment options shoot through the roof, also... the pistol is only .75 thick, and simply disappears like magic.
It IS an automatic, though... and while your wife will most likely find herself shooting more accurately with the P-32 than the snubby, it'll take some time to acclimatize to the switch from the revolver.
However, from the tone of your post I suspect concealability is of prime concern... and nothing conceals more easily, or is more carryable everywhere. She'll take it when she'd leave the snub at home.
I'd say, then, that it would be an improvement over the revolver, provided she's taught it's proper use and practices 'till she's proficient.
Flyer

·
Registered
205 Posts
emc left out... you could just carry FMJ and not worry about rim lock!! :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good old yz is correct. FMJ is certainly a viable alternative. I was operating on the assumption that PX15 was more interested in staying with JHP. But, there are alternatives, as yzguy indicates.

FWIW,

emc

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
FMJ is the way!!

Look at my latest test results in the 'Maximizing' forum for members only under the .380 hollowpoint tests. I show a comparison of the P32 and P3AT with JHP ammo. Neither are that great with JHP ammo, and have low penetration with some failures to expand at all.
And one thing I didn't report is FMJ in the P32, or P3AT, will not overpenetrate like 9mm and .45cal.
FMJ bullets fired into the wetpack penetrated 10" and stopped.
(Some .45 FMJs I fired into it went 10" wet paper plus 3" wet magazines, plus 1/2" plywood and kept going!!)

So, FMJ's in the P32 do the job and no rimlock either!

FWIW,
og

·
Registered
68 Posts
For me a S&W j-frame and the smallest KTs fill different niches in my carry rotation. The KT is very small and easy to conceal even when the j-frame may not be.

The P-32 will have nicer trigger since it is not a truly "double action only" design -- the hammer is partially cocked by the movement of the slide. The manual of arms is a bit more complex -- as others have described. Don't necessarily overlook the P-3AT though -- more power and bigger holes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay, has the lady had a chance to handle both firearms at a range at the same time?

If no, get guns, go to someplace where "live fire" is possible.

If yes, which gun does she prefer? Is she okay with the size and the heft of a J-frame? Many folk, of either gender are
put off by the bulk the revolver in pocket or purse or
(IWB?) holster.

I own both firearms but find carrying the revolver does not
work with many wardrobe choices. Though I have good
pocket rigs, the J-frame is simply less concealable.
http://thearmedcitizen.com/gunpages/model36.htm

Many ladies will make a choice they thing they are
"s'posed" to make, make the wrong choice then end up
not carrying.

If the choice is a Kel-Tec, consider Wolff gunsprings to
lessen the recoil then go with FMJ because penetration
may well be poor with JHP and because of increased
reliability. And teach her about not limp wristing or she
will have only one or two shots.

Are both guns not really to her taste? Consider the
NAA mini revolver which when fired with magnum loads
is as loud as .38 special. That is unless you are really