Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive my ignorance, I have not experienced any malfunctions with my p32 and was wondering what exactly is "rimlock"? I have been shooting semi-auto pitols for over 25 years and have never heard this term. TIA,
Chuck :?

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
.32 cases have are rimmed cases as opposed to rimless cases. Not that either has no rim, but the rimmed cases have a slightly larger rim than the case body. With this type of case it's possible for the rim of the top round in the mag to get stuck behind the rim of the round underneath it... preventing it from being fed forward. With .32 ammo it happens mostly with JHPs because the rounds are slightly shorter allowing more play in the mag.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

I knew I could count on you guys. I've been to yzguys' site but must have missed that part. The explanation also answers why I never heard the term. I've been shooting 9mm, 40s&w, and 45acp, with the occasional 38super thrown in. I haven't experienced rimlock in the .32 jhp rounds I've fired so far, but we all know how Murphy's Law operates. I will test the SilverTips I've got to see if they will do that, then work on some prevention.
Thanks again :)
Chuck

G

·
I have carried and test fired most of the reputable .32 loads out there and I have found that for the size, weight and balance of the pistol that Cor-Bon has been the best. The hot round is nice in a "pocket pistol", they seem to feed well and I feel that if I have to plant a few in a BG's melon that the Cor-Bon's would be the better choice. Although, if you subscribe to the philosophy that something is better than nothing than there are plenty of threads within this forum that debate the issue of JHP vs FMJ. Either way the KT is a great choice and I think that you will find, as the rest of us have that no matter what else you may be carrying at the time that the P32 will always be with you.

Regards.

·
Registered
14 Posts
rimlock

I've never had rimlock either but most of my experience has been with PPK's which are blow back design, have a very heavy mainspring and a very heavy slide. I think that might override the rimlock in a PPK but not in the light spring/light slide P-32.

I read Flyers excellent article on flywires and made one yesterday for my p-32. Better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi all!
I’ve read Yzguys rimlock article and I read Flyers Flyer Wire article. The pros and cons are clear. I’ve never experienced rimlock.
But, now I’m trying to decide what would be best for me. FMJ all the way or fabricating a Flyer Wire. I had posted a long time ago on another site asking what ammo others were using for carry. Well, one person had mentioned having the first two rounds as corbon (first one chambered) then the rest as FMJ. Would rimlock be the reason for doing this? Would having it loaded that way be a good idea?
Thanks in advance….
Tc, Cheryl
:wink:

·
Registered
205 Posts
on HP in the pipe and one being the top round in the mag will be no more prone to rim lock than all FMJ. It is the SECOND round in the mag that is the first one that can move forward to create a rim lock. The one on top of that can move forward and not create any problems, and of course the one in the pipe does not matter.

and, no stronger recoil springs will not do anything regarding rim lock. Stronger mag springs MAY help by holding the rounds tighter and not letting them move as much, but I would not count on that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is it safe to say rimlock can happen with any .32 cal pistol? or Is it more prone in the P32 because of size and weight? (I don't have a P32 but do want to buy one) also, would it be OK to use the flyer wire in a Beretta Tomcat Mag? Thx

SKB

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Rimlock is more common in the P-32.
It's the mag design... pretty much vertical, compared to other .32s, which have a significant slant. There's little chance of a rimlock in a Beretta.
Flyer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts