Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that Kel Tec made a 12 round mag for the P11. Wherever I read it I was under the impression that it fit flush in the mag well. I called KT today and they told me that they do in fact sell a 12 round KT mag. They did say however that it does stick out the back and I got the impression that if you had any pre-ban 6906 mags that you essentially had the same thing. I was hoping for a 12 flush fit magazine. If the AWB was lifted (so it would be legal, this is a hypothetical) could you remove the legs from a P11 follower or use a P40 follower in a P11 mag and get 12 rounds in a standard magazine? Does anyone make a flush fit 12 round mag?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Nope, there's very little likelihood you could find a 12 rounder that fits without protruding. It's amazing the magazine can hold 10 in it's present configuration.
However, the Smith mags don't protrude MUCH... and many people use them exclusively in their P-11s with no problems.
Flyer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have three 6906 mags and while they only stick out a small bit, I much prefer the Mec-Gar 10 rounders with a finger extension. I was hoping that we had found a hidden jewel...

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
norfdet893 said:
If the AWB was lifted (so it would be legal, this is a hypothetical) could you remove the legs from a P11 follower or use a P40 follower in a P11 mag and get 12 rounds in a standard magazine? Does anyone make a flush fit 12 round mag?
I am planning on just such a project after the ban has been lifted. I believe you are correct and that at least one round possible two could be added to a stock mag.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
norfdet893 said:
If the AWB was lifted (so it would be legal, this is a hypothetical) could you remove the legs from a P11 follower or use a P40 follower in a P11 mag and get 12 rounds in a standard magazine?
I am sitting here looking at a stock P-40 mag that is holding 12 rounds of Winchester 115 grain 9mm JHP. The mag housing is exactly the same as a P-11 except for the feed lip cutout, so there is your answer. You would have to use a P-40 follower and P-40 mag springs because the P-11 springs are too wide to seat properly in a P-40 follower.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Oh, BTW Gun_Nut_2k1,
I had to go digging in all of my various gun tool boxes, ammo boxes, etc. to find that stock P-40 mag, so now that I have found it I will pop it in the mail to you for your mad scientist testing program. Uh, minus the Win JHP's of course.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Re:

norfdet893 said:
Keys, do you have to compress the feed lips to hold the thinner 9mm rounds?
No, they hold just fine. It jams quite a bit though so I don't use it that way. You might be able to tweak the feed lips to make it more reliable, but you have to be careful that it still feeds .40 S&W, for now at least. If I need more than 10 rounds of 9mm I'm probably in doo doo so high over my head that a couple of extra rounds isn't going to make much difference.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Re:

Gun_Nut_2k1 said:
KeysBear said:
Uh, minus the Win JHP's of course.
Regards, Keys 8)
Ahhh shucks :?
Dude, that P-40 mag is well protected in bubble wrap and in a mailing envelope - ready to go on Monday.

Regards, Keys 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re:

Rick Blaine said:
I don't believe a factory P-11 12 round magazine was ever made. Have you seen yzguy's mod to a S&W 69 series 12 round mag that makes it almost flush?
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/sw12.htm
Might be worth a try. You can find the mags for sale at http://www.cdnninvestments.com Rick
I spoke to the tech and Kel-Tec does carry a 12 round LEO mag that is not a S&W 6906 magazine. I asked him if the magazne fit flush in the weapon and he said no. I asked him if they were any better than the 6906 mags and he said that there was essentially no difference. I have plenty of 6906 mags what I was looking for was something that held 12 rounds and fit flush.

Flyer, what about a standard 10 round mag that had a rolled spring like the old Ran Line? Think we could squeeze 12 round in there then?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yep, a magazine of the Ram-line design would hold 12 (maybe 13) just fine as there is no compressed spring at the bottom of the magazine.

Here is a picture of a Ram-line magazine for my Beretta 92FS that is the same dimensions of the factory 15-round magazine -- but it is loaded with 18 rounds of Black Talon. As you can see, the follower is basically flush at the bottom of the magazine body when fully loaded. The coiled flat spring attached to the side of the follower acts as the magazine spring.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, the Ram-Line flat coil spring design does allow more room in the case; in fact I've got a couple of 30 round AR mags around someplace that are noticeably shorter than GI 30 rounders.
The problem is, in my experience at least, they're just not reliable. The constant-tension force their spring system uses makes them easy to load... but it seems also be unable to get the next round in the mag up fast enough to feed reliably.
Of course, this may just be my OWN magazines; others may work just fine.
Flyer

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re:

norfdet893 said:
I spoke to the tech and Kel-Tec does carry a 12 round LEO mag that is not a S&W 6906 magazine.
I guess I was misinformed. :lol: Rick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re:

Rick Blaine said:
norfdet893 said:
I spoke to the tech and Kel-Tec does carry a 12 round LEO mag that is not a S&W 6906 magazine.
I guess I was misinformed. :lol: Rick
I didn't ask him who made it, I was assunimg it was Mec-Gar. When I compared it to the Smith and Wesson he said that "they" were essentially the same (as far as how far out they protruded from the mag well). I have never seen one and had I not read it somewhere I would have never known about it either.....

regards

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
12 rnd. mags

i have 4 12 rnd. S&W #69 mags. all feed positively in my p11. i bought the spacer from keltec to fill the space between the grip and mag bottom. then, on one mag i ground the finger rest down until it was almost flat ala yz's mod. it adds only about 5/8" to the grip length.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re: 12 rnd. mags

byron said:
i bought the spacer from keltec to fill the space between the grip and mag bottom.
I did it this way on a 69 series mag. These are a 59 series mag extension that I modified. Does not come off either. May make one outta aluminum soon.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Gun_Nut_2k1,
Very nice work.

Regards, Keys 8)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts