Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a P-3AT and 2 P-11s, now after reading on here about the P-40 I want one but NOT if they was discontinued because they are defective.
I have heard different storys about them, some say there was nothing really wrong with them that people was just limp wristing, and then I heard they are just plain defective.
I do a lot of weight lifting and workout so if limp wristing was the problem I think I could handle that, but being defective is a whole different story.
I would like to find one brandnew from a licensed gun dealer in Ohio if possible, but I never thought that I was going to be able to find the P-11 so I know that the P-40 would be even harder to find.
Does anyone know of a distributor that a gun shop in my area could order from?
How much do they normally cost?
Does Kel-Tec still sell parts for them?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The P-40 is a perfectly good gun. Shooters couldn't handle the recoil.
The best way to find a P-40 is to haunt the gunshows for a conversion kit... this weekend at Hara Arena there's one, and there is always a dealer there with P-40 conversions new in the tube for $150.
Just hang on when you fire, and it'll work just fine!
They use the same parts as the P-11 except for the slide and barrel, so that's not a problem.
Flyer

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info

Flyer,

Thanks for the info!.
I was hoping to find the whole gun, but may consider a conversion, at least I would not have to worry about any serial numbers coming back stolen, that has always been my biggest worry about gun shows.
I only paid $184 for my P-11s and that was for the whole gun!.
Man! I wish that gun show was not this weekend and the next weekend instead because I have some business that I need to do, but I am going to try to make time dont know if I can or not. I heard there was a gun show coming up somewhere in logan on the 27th and 28th.

PS. I know that Hara Arena is in your area, if you go to the show and see a black jimmy with Licking plates starting with CCA stop and say hello

·
Registered
345 Posts
The P40 is a great gun. It's not defective, never was... It just is not an easy gun to shoot well. The FTE and FTF are a function of the shooter. KT has a great warranty program and discontinued the P40 because they were getting so many returns on guns that were NOT broken...

I shoot my P11/40 (P11 with .40S&W conversion kit) 100% reliable with 2 hands and about 95% reliable with 1 hand. Where's the problem --- it me....

OBTW FWIW, I had my P11/40 before the P40 was even offered as a standalone gun...

Allan

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
P-40 Magizine

Does the P-40 use the P-11 magizine with the lips opened up or does it use a totally different magizine?
How many rounds does the P-40 hold?

·
Registered
345 Posts
The P40 can use the P11 mags just as they are, but you may experience some FTF from time to time. KT modified the P40 magazines slightly by clipping a bit off the mag lips to improve feed reliability. Many folk's P40 works just fine with the P11 mags, like mine. I did, however, buy a couple P40 mags to insure reliable feeding.

You don't need to modify the lips on a P11 magazine. They work okay just as they are, though the mags made specifically for the P40 seem to be better in some guns.

Allan

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information

birdman,

Thanks for the information, that sumed up all my questions.

The hunt for a P-40 is now on!

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I have a P-40 and a P-11 with a P-40 conversion kit. I carry the P-40 every day. I haven't had any problems in the last 1000 rounds with either one of them. I wouldn't carry anything else at this point since it's the best bang for the weight.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found a P-40

I have found a P-40 actually 2 of them at www.gunsamerica.com.
Has anyone ever bought anything from these people or had a bad experience with them?, I think you need a FFL to buy from them but I could probably have a gun shop order it.
I really really hate to buy something that I cant hold and look at first.
They want $249 for it, and it looks like it comes in a black plastic box with a factory 9 round Magizine.

I am going to think about this for a while, it looks good from what I could see of it but without holding it who knows, the other side of it could be rusted or anything.
Then if something is wrong with it I dont know how a return would work since I asked a gun shop to order it for me, I know I would not get all my money back out of it with all the shipping and handling racket.

Probably better just go to a gun show or tour Ohio gun stores!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Always remember that the Lifetime Warranty still applies... if there's anything wrong KT will still fix it, regardless of whether you purchsased it originally.
Flyer

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
$249 plus the transfer fee is fair enough, but not great. I "stole" mine for $195 at a local shop, but it looked like it had never once been cleaned. I sent the slide to KT for a hard chrome exchange and now it looks dyn-o-mite (first pic below).

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sharp Looking P-40

Keys,

Your P-40 looks DownTown!,
I have seen the picture of your guns on there before but I thought the first one was a 1st generation stainless steel P-11 because it is so crisp looking, they did a real good job plating that one, I looked at a plated P-11 in the gun store and that one looked like it was galvanized it was so dull.
You probably get better deals on Kel-Tecs in Florida since that is where they are based.

I think I am just going to take my time and shop around, I am going to try to make it to a gun show this weekend, if I get in a hurry, I usually get burned.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
diamondmike,
Didn't mean to discourage you from buying the P-40. I overpaid for my conversion just because I wanted one badly, then I got lucky with the stock P-40 a few months later. You really can't lose no matter what you get because you can always send it to Kel-Tec for a rebuild.

Regards, Keys 8)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts