Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I 've read a lot of info on the web on how the mini Kel-tecs should perform like target pistols and be as durable as a model 5903 S&W 9mm. My understanding when I first saw the P-32 and now the P-3AT was that these were small lightweight concealed carry primary or back up pistols. They were to be carried a lot and shot enough to break in and practice with every once in awhile, not run 200 rounds thru every weekend. I heard a long time ago that some people expected to much out of the S&W Sigma .380 also and was one of the reasons it was discontinued. S&W always intended that pistol as a back up or primary concealed carry for those who did not or could not carry something larger. What do you think do some expect to much out of these lightweight mini powerhouses or are they fullfilling the niche they were intended for? I hope they don't go the way of the Sigma.380. My P-32 has performed great for what I thought the pistol was made for.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Agreed, I see the Keltecs as carry a lot shoot a little guns.
Same with the airweight snubs.

If you want to shoot thousands of rounds at the range, get something with a steel frame or a Glock.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
rimfire,
Welcome to KTRange!
Good post, and question.
You're right about the Sigma. It was intended, basically, to be a thousand-round gun. Shoot a little, carry a lot. It did very well in that role.
The Kel-Tecs have a locked-breech, and steel and hardened aluminum construction; it's not commonly understood that the Sigma used Zinc castings for it's primary parts. It was also a blowback, which is much tougher on the gun that a locked-breech.
So... I've never really heard of a P-32 that actually "wore out". Some are very worn, but parts are easily and quickly replaced.
So, I'd hesitate to put a theoretical "Lifespan" on the P-32 or P-3AT: they're both actually quite durable and stand up well to extended shooting.
Undoubtedly there IS a point where further shooting would be impossible, but I for one haven't reached it yet!
Flyer

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
I'm clueless as to what the theoretical life span of the 32 or 3AT might be but I definitely do not consider them "target guns". Practice enough to be proficient... practice often enough to ensure confidence in the gun... but I don't plan to put thousands of rounds through the things. Target shooting is a sport meant to be taken seriously... neither gun was made for, or is up to, the task. Their intended role, as far as I'm concerned, is deep concealed, CQ self defense... and they fill that role well.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree with Midiman. I love my P3AT and like to shoot it but have no allusions about it's purpose. As one NRA instructor (ex-LEO) told me..."it's a great little weapon...practice so that you're comfortable with it because if you ever need it your assailant will probably not be more than six feet away." This is not a "target" pistol, it is a self-defense weapon plain and simple.

G

·
The Sigma had other problems too, the magazine was difficult to extract, the trigger was [email protected] and the sights were applorable. The KT is a much better made gun that is much more user friendly. Several colleagues of mine bought them becasue we are a S&W department, only to try and unload them now that they have dropped from the line. KT however, is a much better made weapon that shoots well for it's size and will have a much better following that the Sigma. Personally, I haven't found a Sigma yet that you could pay me to take. They all seem to be the same, but thats just my .02 worth.

Peace

G

·
I was reading on the other board the other day and recall someone saying that some ammo company, I believe it was, that had put over 8,000 rounds through a Kel-Tec that they had testing their ammo and the gun was still working just fine. I don't remember if it was a .32 or a .380 and I don't remember the company name either. That's the problem with getting old :roll:
Maybe someone else remembers better than I?

Rook

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I agree

I agree with all of your remarks that the P3AT, and P32, are mainly personal defense pistols. That's what I bought mine for. A little practice is good, but overdoing it with 1000's of rounds is kinda wasting ammo. .32 ammo especially is more expensive than other calibers. Guess it's just a little harder to make and not as big a demand to keep the price down.
For just plain target shooting something in a 9mm is the cheapest way to go. 9mm FMJ ammo is on sale around here all the time for down in the $6/box range compared to $10 for .45. For those of you that reload, ammo cost is not a big issue.
I shoot both 9mm and .45 for target competition with my friends and save the P3AT for defense carry in my pocket. My wife stole my P32 so I don't have to buy ammo for it right now.

Right now all I've had the chance to fire my new P3AT is while it was making smileys before I did the ramp job. Even though we agree it's not intended as a target competition pistol I was really impressed with the accuracy (better than the P11 I had), smileys and all. Picture attached, I hope, using Midi's new fix. Note I was using cheapy UMC ammo which is not considered accurate at all.
When I get a chance to fire it with the ramp mod I'll post another report about the accuracy, if it improved, etc. Also, Flyer says he's doing an accuracy test with smileys, hope to see that soon.

Oh, BTW, Rook...I think it was Marty at Kel Tec said somewhere he had fired several 1000 rounds with KT's.

Cheers,
og

1 - 8 of 8 Posts