Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picture #2

b)

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Classic symptoms of a premature slide unlock.
What happened is the barrel lug yanked the barrel down too soon (by a tiny fraction of an inch), while the slide and barrel were still in full recoil... the pressure hadn't dropped and the barrel didn't want to separate just yet. The battering you see is from it being forced down from the front of the ejection port.
I've always sort of suspected the .357 Sig might be a tad too hot for the pistol... this is the first real evidence I've seen so far.
How many rounds do you have through it?
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Ouch! No such problems with mine. What brand/type of ammo were you using? Do you have stock springs?

I'm confident KT will make it right...might want to send the entire top end in for evaluation.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'd say a new barrel and slide were in order, and would probably resolve the issue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looks like overstress (bearing failure) from hammer falling before slide was fully locked up. Only part of the bearing surfaces were engaged. My guess is the gun needed cleaning and/or new recoil springs. Bad crimp could also have prevented the the slide from fully closing before firing.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
flybob,
That's what a P-11 does... it depends on the hammer to follow the slide down and increase pressure on the slide for lockup.
Since the hammer's always down unless you're pulling the trigger, it can't fall on an unlocked slide.
No how, no way.
Flyer

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kel Tec has it!

Delivery confirmation on 2/19/04.

I asked them to:
1) repair it,
2) completely replace slide assembly and barrel or
3) replace entire weapon with their new 10mm prototype. :shock:

O.K., so I only asked the first two. :wink:

Anyhow, they have it and I'm on hold.

Kahrpacker

G

·
How do you get warranty work on something that is not produced any longer? Seems like there would be a sever shortage of replacement parts.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
norfdet,

Actually, last time I checked -- you can still buy a .357 Sig conversion kit from KT for your P-11 pistol for $175. It includes a complete top end (slide, barrel, springs, and guide rod).

Simply slide off your 9mm top end and slide on your .357 Sig top end.

You are correct, the P-40 was discontinued -- and the .40 S&W conversion kits have been sold out for some time now. However, parts are still available at the factory. You should be able to by a replacement .40S&W barrel if you need it...just not able to buy a new P-40 or .40 conversion kit. Once the stock of .357 Sig conversion kits are sold out (if they aren't already) I suspect they will not be replenished.

I know that the .357 Sig barrels have been available for $110 too.

So, it might still be possible for you to buy the .357 Sig conversion, order a replacement .40 S&W barrel...and have a three caliber combo for your P-11 like some of us other KTRangers.... :twisted:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still on \"hold\".

I'm still on "hold" for repairs to my P-11/40/357. :oops:

KT got it on 2/19, but evidently Marty is arm-pit deep in pending repair jobs. :smiley2:

Hmmmm. Maybe he's working on that 10mm conversion package! :wink:

Kahrpacker

·
Registered
65 Posts
P40-P357

Flyer, in rereading this thread, I see you misread my post.
With these pistols the disconnector arrangement will allow you to fire when the slide isn't fully in battery. Try it.
Several reasons can be, deformed brass at the crimp, gunk in the chamber and weak slidesprings, tight slide...........etc.
The visible peening is known as a bearing failure, meaning too much compressive stress on too little area. the slide wasn't fully forward or the barrel wasn't cammed up high enough to fully engage the slide locking area at the moment of firing.
Fly&Scuba- What's a P4T5? ? Is it a 45 0n the P11/40 frame?
Could it be using the new short Glock 45 ammo?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Nope, didn't misread anything...
The point is... the hammer will NOT be able to contact the firing pin unless the slide's in battery.
Flyer

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well, y'all, iffn ya gotsa have a DAO .45 and yer not innerested in the Patriot .45, check out Para-Ord's C6.45. It's a DAO 1911-style .45 with a super-sweet trigger pull. Granted, it's a lot heaver and you can buy about 4 Kel-Tecs for the price of one of these, but it's STILL a really nice CCW piece. I'm planning on trading in my Springfield Ultra Compact .45 for one of these the first chance I get.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts