Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, guess I've gone off the deep end, finally.
My friend with the machine shop is even now turning down a P-32 barrel into a "sleeve" to fit inside the bore of a P-3AT barrel, fusing them, and is cutting the new chamber for .32 NAA.
I've never even SHOT a .32 NAA. Why am I making this one???
Well... I'm bored, I guess!
Should be shooting it by next week. Will keep you updated! In the meantime, any suggestions and comments that might lead to recovery of my sanity are welcome...
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
This was on the other site....guess you'll beat BarSto to it!

Kraigster414

BarSto .32 NAA barrel for the P3AT? Maybe.
Just got an email from Irv Stone at BarSto. They may be doing something mid year next year. Keep an eye out if interested.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, this isn't even really complicated at all, with the right equipment...
Should be very interesting. I suspect I'll have to fiddle around with the recoil spring arrangement a bit, but that's about it...
Flyer

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've been intrested in the 32NAA for some time--I've been giving some semi serious thought to converting one of my Makarovs to that round. I'll be interested to see your future post------

Dan

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re:

Michigan Dan said:
I've been intrested in the 32NAA for some time--I've been giving some semi serious thought to converting one of my Makarovs to that round. I'll be interested to see your future post------

Dan
When you mention converting your Mak, I assume you mean buying the $65 "screw in" replacement barrel from makarov.com. Just thought I'd mention that, in case you were thinking of doing it the hard way and machining a new barrel... :roll:

Seriously, though, I'm really interested in .32NAA, enough so that I've strongly considered plunking down the money for a Mak just so I could try this little bugger out. Finances aside, though, I've heard that it's a bear of a job to do the barrel switch on a Mak. If Bar-Sto makes an affordable barrel that drops into the P3AT I'll be one of the first in line! It may be "the nuclear chihuahua" caliber for a pocket pistol, but I'll bet it's a hoot to shoot!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yup, I'll go with the Makarov.com setup. I don't believe it's a "screw in", the barrel presses in. You have to buy one of their press's to get them in and out. I've heard, without one of those, you might as well forget it. I've dealt with George and Karl at Makarov.com for years. They are great guys to buy from.

I have to say, that I'll wait awhile and see if a new drop in barrel becomes available for the Kel-Tec. Sounds much easier than doing a conversion on a Makarov.

Dan

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
barrel stresses

Don't know if this matters a hoot. Measured my P3AT barrel and did a WAG calc for stress. Barrel outside diam. .432". SAAMI pressure at 21,500psi. Stress in steel barrel approx. 120,000psi. Steel used is good for 150,000psi. Safety factor 1.25, not much.
If you press fit a new barrel this will "prestress" the old barrel and firing stress may go up. What is the .32NAA SAAMI pressure? Can't find it on my charts.
og

·
Registered
243 Posts
Re: barrel stresses

oldgranpa said:
Don't know if this matters a hoot. Measured my P3AT barrel and did a WAG calc for stress. Barrel outside diam. .432". SAAMI pressure at 21,500psi. Stress in steel barrel approx. 120,000psi. Steel used is good for 150,000psi. Safety factor 1.25, not much.
If you press fit a new barrel this will "prestress" the old barrel and firing stress may go up. What is the .32NAA SAAMI pressure? Can't find it on my charts.
og
Oldgranpa, The only place I know that might be able to help you is Makarov.com. They have been messing with conversion to the 32NAA round for Maks for some time now. Here is a link to one of their pages which might help--If this page isn't enough information, call their retail outlet store and ask to talk to George. I believe he's there almost every day. I'm sure he could answer your questions or point you in the right direction.

http://makarov.com/32naa/index.html

Dan

G

·
Re: barrel stresses

oldgranpa said:
... What is the .32NAA SAAMI pressure? Can't find it on my charts.
og
Doubt there actually is a SAAMI spec for this round.

However found this in an article in Law and Order magazine, September, 2002 issue:

"To make a long story short, after trying different powder mixtures, the final version of the .32 NAA ended up pushing the 60 grain Homady bullet at a velocity of 1,222 fps with a muzzle energy of 192 foot pounds. At 21,500 pounds per square inch, the .32 NAA has only five percent more chamber pressure than the standard .380 cartridge."

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's great that .32NAA is in the works. Now when is there going to be a Slide/barrel top end kit to shoot 9x18 makarov out of a P3AT? All hail the mighty P-MAK! I'm stubbornly waiting until then to buy a P3AT.[/b]

·
Registered
243 Posts
Re:

domzilla9 said:
That's great that .32NAA is in the works. Now when is there going to be a Slide/barrel top end kit to shoot 9x18 makarov out of a P3AT? All hail the mighty P-MAK! I'm stubbornly waiting until then to buy a P3AT.[/b]
Dominic, you know you can't improve on perfection, That was done when they made the East German Makarov! :D

Dan

G

·
Flyer:

How about an update on your 32NAA project gun? You aren't by chance making a second prototype barrel (like they did with the jet aircraft in Firefox), as a backup... are you? :)

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bob110011,
Thanks for reminding me! Sorry...
I haven't shot it yet.
Snow has prevented me from getting to the range and experimenting like I want, but...
It's done (the barrel). Frankly, I don't expect any problems at all.. except maybe a tad more recoil than the .380.
Nope, no backup. My other "weird" project has been my "P-22", a .30 Carbine case necked down to .22 caliber for a P-32. Again, I used a standard P-32 barrel, with an old .22 Hornet single-shot rifle barrel for the inner sleeve.
For this one I've got to reload rounds one at a time with a handmade die. Aarrrgh!!! Haven't shot it, either.
Will take both to the range and write a report upon return... assuming I still have fingers to type with. :roll:
Flyer

G

·
The .30 Carbine / .22 caliber wildcat sounds really cool too! Does the round have a (wildcat) name, or is this something you came up with (such as the .32 Mouse Mag, by Mouse)?

Now you've really got my curiosity up... Have any photos of the round?

BTW, I've got an indoor range you could use for testing the 32NAA.... no in the forcast snow here... but the drive is probably too much! :)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Flyer. If you have had this all done, why have you not had a 22LR sleave made for the 32/380 barrel? There has got to be a way to adapt a mag to run 22LR's into an off set chamber so that the Standard slide would work. AYYYYYYYYY I want it in 22LR!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A .22 rimfire sleeve was thought #1!!!
It's TOO LONG!!!
AArrrrgh!!! I'd do it in a heartbeat if the action would accomodate the length...
Oh, and I didn't even name the .22/.30 round. Every case is handmade and put through a die a friend made using a Lee .223 Load-All tool. I load each bullet by twisting the handle on a C-clamp to force the case and bullet through the die...
Yeah, I'm nuts... It's fun, though! :mrgreen:
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Ok then how about doing it on a P-11 frame? I am thinking an aluminum spacer for the p-11 mags. No extractor needed as this would be a plinker not a SD pistol. Might have to change the barrel hood to eliminate the lock up so it would act like a Recoil operated BB pistol. What to do about ejection...hmmmm Looks more like a Ceiner conversion is needed more and more.

BTW that c-clamp 22 mod is crazy! AND I THOUGHT I WAS INSANE! You rock man! :D

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Ok now I know 22 shorts are not very popular , but if length is the main stumbling block why not chamber it for the short round? Could you imagine going to a KT function and showing off your P-22S????? Good Lord what a toy! I'd buy a brick of 22short then! HEHE Also 22 cbs would have the local pest population in a frenzy...

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've got the thing ready to go... now I'm waiting for the weather to cooperate. If it's not snowing, it's too cold... I have NO indoor range available to me!
I'm hoping this weekend I'll make it to the range for the first tryout.
Oh yeah, the .22 Short: I use my little Beretta Minx for that! Super-accurate little pistol, and NO recoil. Fun!
Flyer

1 - 20 of 25 Posts