Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK. I don't have a Makarov. Not even interested in owning one. Just wondering what all the hub-bub is about.

How do the P-11 and the Makarov compare?

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
22x9 said:
Weight:
P-11, loaded 10+1, 9X19 ammo, 22 ounces
Bulgarian Makarov loaded 8+1, 9X18 ammo, 29 ounces

Length of slide:
P-11 5 & 5/8 inches
Makarov 6 & 1/4 inches

Width of slide
Both just under 1"

Height from top of slide to bottom of mag
P-11 4 inches
Makarov 4 & 3/4 inches

Distance from back of grips (crook of thumb) to trigger - both approx 3 inches

Even though the Mak is single stack, both have similar width of grip.

The Makarov is a blowback Walther type design, steel pistol. DA/SA. My military issue Mak has an incredibly light action. Safety acts like a decocker on the Bulgarian. Most 9X18 ammo is 95 grains at around 1000 fps, give or take. Hornady makes a JHP rated at 1000 fps.

Maks are sweet to shoot, especially after shooting the P-11. Listen to the people who say they are incredibly reliable. They are.

IMHO the sights on the P-11 are not the best. The sights on the Maks are worse.

Both can be carried as pocket guns. Pocket holsters are made for each. 9X18 Makarov ammo is cheap and plentiful.

Considering that Maks can be bought in nearly perfect condition for $129 to $189.00, I say buy now, buy often.

Other Mak owners please fill in the important things I've missed.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The Mak is simply one of the most fun danged guns out there.
The reliability of most Maks is almost unbelievable. So is their inherent accuracy, thanks to the fixed barrel.
They're very comfortable to shoot.
For the money, they simply annihilate ANYTHING in their price range. Absolutely no comparison.
Flyer like Maks! :D
Flyer

·
Registered
44 Posts
10 times the gun

simple answer to a simple question, the mak is the gun the walther wished it was. 10 times the gun at less then a 1/4 the cost. and the all important slide stop....if its a russian commercial one like mine decent adjustable sights

·
Registered
182 Posts
22x9 said:
OK. I don't have a Makarov. Not even interested in owning one. Just wondering what all the hub-bub is about.

I have a P-11 as my primary CCW and love it.

So my question is:

That's Ok with me, one less person competing for one of the world's finest pistols.

Gets more accurate and smoother as you use it. The East German military maks are incredible along with the Walther, probably the best finished and engineered military firearms ever made.

This may get some mad, but the P-11's main (and maybe only) claim to fame is size/weight/$. Maks are just flat-out works of art.

I have a P-32, two P-11's (one for .40/357 conversions) and I'm happy with that number. I have a dozen maks and expect to buy two more in the next couple of weeks. Every one is different and incredible.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
cigarman said:
That's Ok with me, one less person competing for one of the world's finest pistols.
cigarman,
Gently man. He's got the bug. After all, he did ask the question. I scoffed a few times myself at first. It sounded too good to be true. He doesn't know the feeling yet of finding one in basically unissued condition. He hasn't paid less for it than he would for an old junky Rossi revolver. He hasn't taken it home in anticipation where he will clean and lubricate it while discovering how solidly made they are. He hasn't taken his new prize to the range where he will find that it goes bam, bam, bam all day long, comfortably, reliably, and accurately. When he does all of that for himself, and has that moment when he thinks "gee, what a smart guy I am" and smiles, he'll be one of us. (and smiles, and smiles........) :) :) :) At that moment the Makarov will no longer be just a bargain gun. He'll appreciate the classic lines. She will look beautiful. Like a fine display piece Miss Makarova will become cherished, pampered, and loved. Of course I still haven't figured out why it's impossible to get enough of them to be satisfied. No cure once the bug bites you I guess, but it's fun.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry fellows. hate to disappoint ya. Even tho Mak's are 9mm, 9MM mak that is, and I've stood by my moniker(22x9). Only 22's and 9MMs. I don't have an urge to get one, would just add another caliber to my small ammo bin. Don't want to increase that.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
22x9,
Hey, the regular 9mm (Luger) is 9x19, not 9x22!
Or, does that mean you have 22 9mms?
Oh, .22 and 9mm. I gotcha...
Flyer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Exactly Flyer

22 & 9 . I messed when I created my Id on an old gun forum. Was too lazy to create another Id so I use it everywhere now

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
mak

ok ok, i'm convinced. every one calm down and tell me what kind to buy. have a gun show coming to town in two weeks. havn't been able to find one in local shops as new guns seem to be all they stock. remember, play nice, no fisticuffs over which one is best! :D

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
byron,
Bulgarian. These are both well-finished and possibly the best "shooters" of them all.
East German Maks are likely the most desirable as a collector's piece; they're beautiful guns. They also tend to have the best triggers out of box.
However, you'll have to look pretty hard for an EG one, and Bulgies tend to be common.
If you spot a Chinese one, grab it without hesitation - they're rare. Likewise a Russian Hi-Capacity model.
Still... I recommend the Bulgie for pure shooting fun!
Flyer

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have an EG and a Bulgarian. Both are nice but a definite edge to the EG in finish and trigger. They are fairly hard to come by these days though and about twice as much.

I would get a Bulgarian as Flyer recommends. If you don't have any luck at the gunshow, see if a dealer will order you one (for a transfer fee) from either Dan's Ammo or Southern Ohio Gun. Dan's Ammo is preferred, theirs are "unissued" - they may be 20-25 years old but "new", i.e. unfired. Dan's are $150 I believe. Not even sure if they have them on their website but they do have them, give them a call.

Another option is SOG. Theirs are $129. You might get an unissued one and you might not. Most used ones are in pretty good shape with just holster wear. Regardless, you can't go wrong with a Mak. Just kinda neat to get an unissued one. All EGs are used with possible rare exceptions although I've never heard of one. Parts and accessories are very cheap and they are great guns.

http://www.dansammo.com

http://www.southernohiogun.com

http://www.makarov.com

http://www.makarov.com/makfaq.html

·
Registered
432 Posts
It should be noted that the Polish P64 Maks that SOG is selling are NOT "true" Maks. If you follow the link in the previous post to the faq at Makarov.com you'll note that the Polish P64 is listed on the "other guns" page, and also that only Russia, Germany, East Germany, China and Bulgaria are known to manufacture or have manufactured "true" Makarovs. That's not to say that what SOG is selling is bad, however. Just wanted to point this out for any Mak novices that might be interested in getting one (I myself don't have one, but it's on my wants list).

As far as Dan's Ammo is concerned, yes, they do have the Bulgie Mak on their webpage. They have "new" unfired for $150 and also used ones in good to very good condition for $135. My recommendation is to pay the $15 extra to get an unfired Mak.
The link is http://www.dansammo.com/firearms.asp

Edited to add link to Dan's Maks

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good point. SOG's advertising is sometimes a bit deceptive like the Polish "Makarov" as you point out. I'm sure some have been sold to some folks who didn't know any better.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
This is probably gonna get me jumped, but to date every MAK I have seen/held should have been spelled with YU instead of MA. I am more than willing to give them a chance as I like COM BLOK weapons. I just apparently keep running into the cr_p that no one wants or experimented on(and Failed!). Poor grip fit, sharp edges, and broken safety/decockers have made me very weary of this gun. I do like the look though! Not as pretty as my KT's but....that is my MHO. OK so I am going to bite the bullet and get one...even if it is a 9x18 shudder :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts