Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
The first or second time I posted on this board after I came back from the range the first time and I was reporting my finding on my P-3AT I mentioned that the Remington UMC 95 Gr. jacketed round point ammo had the most recoil of any of the ammo that I shot that day including CorBon. Someone else said they noticed the same thing that day on here. I just now measured some of the Remington and Carbon ammo and there is some difference in lengths. The Remington 95 grain on average is .972 overall length while the .90 grain CorBon is around .943. The loading manuals call for the min. overall length to be above .950 on all weights of bullets which the CorBon is not. All the CorBon Ammo I've ever measured in any caliber is always shorter than the min. overall length called for in the reloading manuals which probably accounts for the higher power that they advertise due to an increase in pressure rather than more powder or higher powered powder being put into the casings (which don't cost them as much either). Anyway the smiley I measured on one of my Remington rounds has set the bullet back into the casing to where the overall length of the round is .940" which is well below the min. overall length for a .95 grain bullet which very well could account for the higher pressure that caused the noticeable difference in recoil with the Remington ammo when I was testing. It would seem to me to be safer to use lighter bullets which won't create as much pressure if they are seated deeper in the casing by the load ramp hitting them than the longer Remington rounds with the heavier bullets.
Something I did while at the range when testing my gun now makes me wonder if I didn't almost have an accident because of it. I kept reloading my magazine after shooting 6 rounds to keep from racking the slide after shooting it empty since it's so hard to pull back so that means that the top round was staying in the gun everytime I reloaded which could have been a bad thing if the bullet kept getting driven further and further back into the casing. Maybe it hit a limit on how far it could be driven back and maybe around .940" is the limit since that is the length of my round with the smiley on it now. If it is then the CorBon might be the safest round to shoot since it's almost that short to begin with.
Maybe that was the problem with the gun we saw the picture of on here a week or so ago that was blown apart?

Rook

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks Rook Monday,

Until you mentioned the reloading, I didn't think of the damage that would repeatedly occur to the round left in the magazine stack. I have a P3at in Florida now that had some serious problems after about 150 rounds - but I was doing the reloading before the last round as you mention. About every 4th or 5th mag reload, I would fire the mag empty so I guess that round would have been set back pretty good by then. And your right, I bought some corbons for my second P3at (got to have something until the first comes back) and they don't seem to have as much kick as some of the rond fired in the first gun. My hand is just now healing up where the first gun left blisters in the web of the thumb finger and the bottom of my trigger finger.

It's probally a good safety tip to not reload a partially empty mag - unless you are intending to "proof test" your KT.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Re:

Blackhawk said:
Why not fire 6 rounds when you've got 6+1 in the gun, then reload? The mag will be empty with one left in the chamber. :?:
Blackhawk,
Yes you can do that and yes that's the way it should be done but for no certain reason I was loading it the other way the first day at the range as someone might do during a training class when they do tactical loading before the mag runs out. It could be on the 3rd round in the mag. and not necessarily on the last round in the mag or on any round for that matter. One things for sure though I won't be loading anymore until the mag is completely empty.

Rook

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
another question

All excellent points and should be part of the Kel Tec manual with the P3AT...always empty the magazine before reloading.

I have another question that really bothers me..

Why, or how, are some owners reporting they have no smileys??

Unless Kel Tec has done a secret redesign on some AT's they have shipped, shouldn't all P3AT's have, produce, smileys??

Or do some owners just not understand how to look for a smiley????

Someone enlighten me please.. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Found out about a new range location and will try to get there tommorrow to do more firing tests.

og

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Granpa,

I think they probably don't know how to find one. I know when I first heard about'em it took me a little while to figure out just what the heck everybody was talking about.

Rook

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

Rook Monday said:
Granpa,

I think they probably don't know how to find one. I know when I first heard about'em it took me a little while to figure out just what the heck everybody was talking about.

Rook
That's my take on it too. Sure wish I could look for smileys.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yo Midi,
What ARE we gonna do with you?
This situation is rapidly becoming pathetic...
Anyone close enough to drive up there and deliver Midi a P-3AT?
Flyer

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
Yo Midi,
What ARE we gonna do with you?
This situation is rapidly becoming pathetic...
Anyone close enough to drive up there and deliver Midi a P-3AT?
Flyer
I'd be in the same boat... some FFL would have to take possession of it to have it ballistic fingerprinted. Can someone come up here and deliver a small nuke to the state legislature? How many red flags did THAT just set off... I'm KIDDING!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
All I want for Christmas....

Sure hope Midi gets a nice P3AT in time for Christmas. I've never heard of such a pathetic situation. Seems like the dealer ought to be liable for the foul up and get the ball rolling.
Oh, sorry, I forgot. It's NY where Hitlery Rodum is queen!
og
(hope I didn't say a flame word, if so change that to Hellary :( ))

1 - 10 of 10 Posts