Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my website, http://thearmedcitizen.com, has evolved from a few simple pages a couple of years back to the front page printing out to over thirty and an ever growing assortment of associated pages, I have a knife page now. It started out to be about 4 pages when printed. Now it's more than a dozen pages when printed. [Of course this violates some of the rules of website design, but like so many forum posters, rules is not what cruisin' the 'net is about.]

Anyway, because I often write to learn, the new knife page at http://thearmedcitizen.com/knife.htm has grown as I've become a little more knowledgeable on the subject. I keep thinking I'm about half finished and finding there's still a way to go.

One of the things I have come to believe is that many who carry a knife for potential self-defense have bought a moderately priced to expensive folder with a belt carry clip and stopped thinking about the subject. Aside from needing to realize such clips can be a "tell" for a concealed gun, such users need to give this matter more thought. [Or not?]

So. The page solicits user input. And some, especially from www.highroad.org, has been very helpful. So now it's time to put a request for input here. Among other things, it lacks input from a female perspective. Perhaps the subject has no interest to the ladies, but content oriented in that direction might be of help to any female readers who wander by.

One of the best comments I got was that there was little the reader (a firearms trainer) did not already know. That caused some jump points to be inserted near the top to skip the basic stuff. And I've only really just begun on advanced stuff.

Comments are solicted here or by e-mail. Good remarks, cutting criticism, whatever is necessary.

[And, Flyer, once I get this new page tightened up, I will gets some links to KTrange on my other pages.]

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
mguffey,
Welcome!
I've read your site for some time now. Very informative, and good info.
I share your liking for the Karambit knives; their cost is prohibitive, however, for a authentic one. I'd like to see some evaluations of the better "clones", if you will... something in the $100 or so range.
You're quite right about the nonchalant attitude some afford their carry knife. Sometimes it seems as if some folks pick a good brand, tuck it away, and presto, considers the problem solved! Nope! Training is essential... or at least extensive practice on the part of the user himself.
I've got a bunch of the most popular models, I suppose. After trying most of them, I've settled on the CRKT M-16 Titanium as my preferred carry. Quality is excellent, edge holding ability pretty much second to none, and it's a BIG folder!
Ironically, the very same belt clip that "tells" or "makes" the knife also makes it legal, where I live.
Having no CCW in Ohio at present, the knife is the only true weapon we can possess for a genuinely lethal encounter... hence my personal preference for a folder on the large size, one that might be illegal for complete concealed carry, but that is visible with the clip, therefore okay.
We've got a couple very knowledgeable female KTRangers who I'm sure will be interested in any discussion that springs up... in fact, I think this is a very good idea (a forum here for knives for us in the "unenlightened" states".
I'm gonna write a book now... sorry, but it's that time of night, and those that know me will understand!!!
This summer I got into knives quite seriously, and built a small propane forge of my own. I've made (after a zillion efforts) some pretty nice cable Damascus blades and mounted them in varying materials. I'd love to build a folder, but nope, I just don't have the equipment or time, so that leaves me with uncarryable (but very pretty!) knives.
As soon as possible I'm going to beat a Karambit-style blade out of wire... can't wait to see what the final etching of this blade will look like. I've got a piece of fossilized Walrus ivory I've been saving for that "something special" project... this may very well be it.
In the various firearms courses I've attended, there's usually been at least some attention paid to defensive knife work. Some of the techniques (as I'm sure you're aware) are absolutely savage and nearly barbaric. Necessity dictates they MUST be, of course.. but I'd put a good wager than most people would be far less upset seeing a gunfight in progress than a genuine encounter with a serious blade master. It's almost a whirling, martial-arts style dance that concludes with the attacker almost in pieces on the ground. All in under two seconds, give or take.
I was fortunate enough to see Massad Ayoob demonstrate the defensive use of a knife against a dummy gun-wielding assailant at LFI. Literally unbelievable! The student had the muzzle of the rubber 1911 at his head... and stood absolutely no chance whatsoever. By the time he hit the ground all major arteries had been cut (simulated, of course), including not only the neck, but also both femorals, severed windpipe, spinal cord, and a quick disembowelment.
I'm the first to point out, though, that such mastery of the art is pretty much a field of study all it's own, taking years to achieve a comparable level of proficiency, one of which I certainly don't aspire to! In the abscence of dedicated blade training, I've found it best to find one or two techniques, usually associated with disarming a subject, rendering him harmless, and simply repeating them until they're second nature and basically run themselves once given the green light.
Enough already! I start talking about a serious interest and can't stop.
Suffice it to say that I'm a "advanced amateur" regarding defensive knife use, and will most likely remain at that level. My primary field of study is pistolcraft, as is probably quite obvious (duh!), but I certainly enjoy fine blades.
Looking forwards to some good conversation!!!
Flyer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, as we speak, the bottom of the page is where things are developing just now in a new section called "Some thoughts about combat knives." New link to an interesting boot there, too.

I, too, sometimes carry the CRKT M16 when a pistol isn't called for, though in an inside jacket pocket.

Here is a maker of custom knives I am trying to get prices on and permission to link to: http://www.derespinaknives.com/

And here is a Karambit I found for under $30, the Hibben Claw II. I will review it shortly. A stopgap choice due to the quality of its steel: http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-b...&catalog=wholesalers-direct&query=hibben+claw Perhaps a second carry knife which comes with a scabbard that could be carried in the small of the back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have accumulated at least 300 pocket knives. 150 fixed blades. Most are unsuitable for EDC .
I always carry at least two knives, one is for normal “whatever” the other is for “WHATEVER” .
I never ever clip A knife on my pocket. Why? I do not wish to sell it so why advertise? I know people that have no clue about knives but they “feel better” with one clipped where folks can see it. They seem to think that it serves as A warning , to the B.G.’s that they are “cocked on ready”! I take note when I see “The Clip” and wonder where there real weapon is. To each his own. :)
Topper

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Topper,
Well, for right now, at least, when you see that clip, THAT'S my "real" weapon...
And if you don't already have your own out and pointed at me and intend to do me harm, chances are nearly ZERO you ever will!!!
Flyer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Flyer, you can upgrade that to A full zero.I lean towards run away live to run away another day! All jokes aside, I have not been stabbed in 28 years. I prefer to go another 28 without A hitch. I did not intend to emply that there was anything wrong with "showing A clip" I just prefer not to. I guess it sorta like the Ford vs Chevy thing! to each his own.
Topper

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Topper,
I guess you didn't understand the gist of what I was saying...
We don't have CCW in Ohio yet.
A knife is our only option in the form of a LETHAL defensive weapon.
I like to carry one with a BIG blade... and that would make it illegal if it weren't showing!
The clip advertising it's presence makes it LEGAL.
Flyer

·
Registered
4 Posts
:oops: My ignorance never ceases to amaze me! You were correct in assuming I did not understand your point. I know plenty of Arkansas folks that have carried guns for years. As for knives, I believe the law here is A pocket knife with A blade length over 3 ½ inches is considered A weapon. Of course if you stab someone with an ink pen that is considered A weapon.
Topper

1 - 9 of 9 Posts