Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like I really need to add ANOTHER caliber to my collection! However, Keys, Flyer, and the other MAK proponents have convinced me that this is a value I shouldn't pass up...

So, is Bulgarian the way to go? What do I look for specifically?

G

·
here we go, well if you're getting one than I am getting one.....can't run out of things to talk about... :mrgreen:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Probably just the one with the best finish you can find, I guess...
Other than that, inside they're pretty much all the same!
Flyer

·
Registered
61 Posts
If the sights will be an issue, I recommend getting a Bulgarian as opposed to a Russian. The cutout in the Russian slide for the rear adjustable sight (which is terrible) will prevent you from installing Novaks.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
maks

i have two nice bulgarians, one i am saving to give to my son when he returrns from kuwait. i was talking to bob williams of akron armory thursday about buying another bulgie "shooter" to knock around with. it seems even the ones showing wear perform admirably. there's something about an all steel gun! :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
You definitely need a Mak. Bulgarians are inexpensive and great pistols. East German ones are very nice but hard to find these days and much more expensive.

It would be nice to get an "unissued" Bulgarian. They may be 15-20 years old but never fired. They were just packed in cosmoline put away for future use & were never issued.

SOG has had many of these but the problem is, you may or may not get an unissued one, pot luck.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplus_hand.html

I understand from reports from many satisfied customers that Dan's Ammo is a great place to get one if you want to be sure of getting an unissued one or excellent condition at worst. Costs a little bit more:

http://www.dansammo.com

Here's some good reading on Maks:

http://www.makarov.com/makfaq.html

See the "Technical Info." and "Mak Basics" pages too.

Order a couple of extra mags and magazine loaders from Makarov.com too. Definitely get the mag loader, your thumb will thank you.

So many folks on the Makarov forum suggested the #19 recoil spring that I got them for my EG and Bulgarian. Never used the stock #17 spring.

The DA trigger pull can be pretty heavy on some Bulgarians. Sometimes firing/dry firing will help some. It didn't on mine, over 2,000+ dry fires and it was more than twice as heavy as my EG Mak. Since you're familiar with F&B, here's what you can do to the mainspring to lighten the DA pull considerably. It worked wonders on mine:

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22101&SearchTerms=cb3

·
Registered
224 Posts
flyandscuba,
How do i put this simply...GET A MAK IMMEDIATELY!!! You won't regret it!
Barry

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
makarovs

i have taken note of all the wannabe mak owners. i just hung up after talking to bob williams, owner of akron armory. bob proposed the following: although he doesn't have any"unissued bulgarian makarovs" he does have a limited supply of 95% maks. if three or more ktrangers order thru their ffl holders, he will sell at $160.00 including shipping costs. here is the KICKER, i will go to akron armory and personally choose from his stock, the best of the makarovs to be sent to the respective purchasers. i want to make clear that i have no financial interest in akron armory nor will i receive any financial gain in any way. if you don't like the gun you receive i personally will buy it from you as i am going to buy a shooter. i WILL pick it out and you can yell at me. if i can't find one i think you'll like we won't ship you. whadaya think? 8)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
maks

f&S, you'll get the first pick if this flies. by the way, i think your starboard cannon is jammed. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey KTRangers!

Spoke to Byron this morning, and I can see he has the "Football" on this Makarov issue. He is a good guy!

All of my pistols were personaly hand picked. I do not buy anything sight unseen. These are the best Bulgarians I could find and some are almoist perfect EXCEPT for movement in the SAFETY LEVER, the resulting TINY mark, and normal storage wear.

If Byron and I don't do too much "BS"ing, we will pick some beauties

Email Byron or Myself, and let us know if I can be of any service.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Makarov

I have a bulgarian makarov that doe's not look like it was ever issued!, I only paid $149.00 for it and I really really can not get over how accurate it is.
It is the most accurate gun that I have ever owned in my life!

They are built like a tank!, I am willing to bet that in three years they will triple in price!!
They are selling them cheap now just to get the word out!

I suggest to get Silver Bear 115gr. Hollow Point ammo for it!,
the case is nickel plated steel, and the bullet is steel sprayed copper color, the hollow point is very deep!, it goe's almost all the way down to the botton of the bullet, the primers are big and have a red sealant around it!, the tip of the bullet also has a red sealant around where it fits into the case.
If you look real close, you will see three little tiny dents on the top of the case the dents are pressed into the bullet itself to keep it from coming loose ( I have took a metal file and filed down the side of the case to remove the bullet without damage, and you can see where the dents have pressed into it )
I can't believe that they can make ammo this good for such a low price.

$800 Box

·
Registered
61 Posts
Novak Lowmounts on a Makarov

This thread is burning hot today!

[edited, correcting gun identification, thanks Flyer]

I thought everyone would like to see what Novak Lowmounts look like on a Russian Makarov. Makarov.com installed these for me for $120 including return shipping. I believe that they are sights made for a Walther.

This is a Russian Military Mak (identified by the Bifurcated Triangle above grip) that shipped with a fixed rear sight and was misidentified by the importer.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yo domzilla,
That's not a Bulgarian Mak... it's a RUSSIAN.
Check the mark inside the circle above the grip... the Bulgies have a "10". Russians have that triangle.
Flyer

·
Registered
467 Posts
Makarov

domzilla,

I see you have the brown grips on yours.

Mine came with a pair of black grips with a thumb rest on them on the gun, it also came with the brown grips like you show in the picture and came with two magizines and a cleaning rod.

I once thought about the novak sights but after shooting mine I am not going to change anything that might effect the accuracy that it has!, the crazy part about it is that now I am worried that if I shoot it much that wear might even effect its accuracy!.

This thing is so accurate that if you can see a object with your naked eye, all you have to do is line the sight up on it and you will hit it! REALLY!
I drove a railroad spike in my back stop of railroad ties years ago and put a red sticker on the head of it, I put it on there just for fun so that if someone comes over to shoot with me and starts bragging about how good of shot they are I tell them OK! lets see you hit the head of the spike at 50 feet!, no one has ever done it!.
Yesterday I did! 40 out of 50 times and this was the first time that I ever shot the gun!

$800 Box

·
Registered
467 Posts
Makarov

Flyer,

On the left side of mine it says IM 38 **** it has this stamped on the frame and slide both, it has the number 10 in the circle like you said, but just behind the magizine release it has a circle with the letter C stamped in it on the frame.
Do you know what this means?

$800 Box

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
Yo domzilla,
That's not a Bulgarian Mak... it's a RUSSIAN.
Check the mark inside the circle above the grip... the Bulgies have a "10". Russians have that triangle.
Flyer
Thanks for pointing this out.

Check out the starboard markings:

I ordered through a dealer as a "bulgarian" because I wanted the fixed rear sight so that I could have Novaks installed. This one came with the slide shown (which had the original fixed sights). It's slide release is of the kind most commonly found on bulgarians and I've never seen the fixed sights on a Russian. I never really took notice of the triangle vs the circle. Hey, I just checked to the Makarov.com FAQ doc at:

http://www.makarov.com/makfaq.html

More recently, some of the Russian military Makarovs with fixed rear sights have snuck into the country with shipments of Bulgarian guns. You can usually spot these by the bifurcated triangle with circle marking
Well....Cool AND the Gang! I'm not letting this one go, but now I've decided that I shouldn't convert it. I haven't handled this one in a while. It does have a very nice fit and finish on it.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
russian

and it's a NICE ruskie too! why aren't i that lucky?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Dunno what the extra circle 10 is, but the 38 is your year code... your Mak was made in 1998.
Flyer

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
makarov

am i correct in thinking that only the russian military maks (PM) had fixed sights and the commercial ij70's came with the adjustible sights to meet u.s. importation requirements? i believe the military is more desirable.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.