Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things are looking VERY good for our CCW law.
Passed through the Comittee and sitting on the Governor's desk... and there are indications he might not veto it.
After 7 (?) days, if he doesn't veto or take other action on it, it automatically becomes law.
It's veto-proof, anyhow, and a veto of such magnitude at this time would be a terrible blow for him politically...
So... looks like we'll get our bill.
Now...
Other than ridiculously strict licensing requirements, here's what bugs me:
To carry in a vehicle, the gun has to be in PLAIN SIGHT in a holster carried on your person, visible to the officer as he looks into your window.
So, what do you do when you get out of your car, or get into it?
Pull your pistol from your pocket/waistband holster/etc., and stick it onto a belt holster in PLAIN SIGHT of everyone, say at a shopping mall???
And the reverse: Before getting INTO your car, you pull out an otherwise CONCEALED weapon in front of everyone and put it in a visible holster?
The Bill has flaws, but thankfully none of them are fatal...
However, I've talked this over at gunshops, and no one seems to be able to interpret this particular requirement...
What the tarnation are you supposed to do, here!
Input, please!!!
Flyer

·
Registered
66 Posts
Flyer I agree with you on the flaws. I can't understand why OH wants the CCDW law this way. The only way I see it is one must be VERY carfull when transporting his/her gun to and from their car so no one will see it or like you said you loose your conseal carry advantage. A possible broblem:

1) Your at the mall and pulling out your 1911, strap it on and cover it up quick and walk twards the store, but Mom and small child 2 cars down see you with 1911 and go freak out at mall police telling them a man with a gun is going into the mall.

I hope I'm not too fare off base with this but I hope OH CCDW law is passed and is reciprical (sp) with KY's. I have been told by my KY friends don't ever get caught in Hamitlon Co with a concealed wepon or you will spend the night in jail. Please keep us posted on the OH CCDW status. Thank you. SKB

·
Registered
56 Posts
Flyer, watch out for some idiot flameing Lib. bringing a law suit to block the law like they have here in Missouri. The issue is to come up before the Missouri Supreme Crt. the 22nd of this month.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah,
It WILL be reciprocal. One good thing about it, at least!
Flyer

·
Registered
121 Posts
Flyer, you're going to just have to be sure you get in and out of the car one foot at a time, making the transition from CCW to open in one fluid movement, like a ballet.... :lol: (I wanna see this..... 8) )

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
ohio ccw

have already heard that challenge is in the works. i guess that was to be expected.
the bill as passed is indeed not perfect. if the law is delayed it's possible some of the faults will be addressed. lets hope so. we'll just have to sit back and see what happens. i do believe that ccw in ohio is now inevitable. it's just a matter of time. :)

·
Registered
467 Posts
one way would be a sholder holster

You could wear a t-shirt with a sholder holster, this would put the gun on your left side car window where anyone that would walk up to your car would see the gun in plain view, keep a dress shirt with you and just use it like a jacket, put the dress shirt on before getting out of your car, and once your back in your car take the dress shirt off, in colder weather a heavy leather jacket would work the same way.

Also, a inside the pants holster would work, just lay the gun inside the holster on the car seat, when you get ready to get out just slip it in your pants with a shirt tail out.
One really good way to keep your gun hidden without anyone thinking anything is to keep half of your shirt tail tucked in and on the side you keep the gun let it hang out, this just looks like your shirt tail came out and you are not aware of it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I bet we will pay a arm and leg for this permit

How long do you think it will be before our greedy auto insurance companys jumps on the band wagon??
I can hear them now!,
If you have a loaded gun in your car!, you are a much more dangerous driver, you will need to carry special coverage!, If you have a wreck and have a firearm in your vehicle and do not have the special coverage we will not pay any claims.

The other states may not have this but remember!, we are talking about Ohio.
I was born and raised in Ohio, so do not think I am just trying to run down the state!, thats just the way it is.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Hmm. They want it in the open..?? I can see from a LEO point of view but, in the open?? Like laying on the car seat next to you??

That would be interesting about sticking it somewhere on you, and then trying to get in the car with it not hanging out. The other night at work I was planning on putting my gun back on my belt, but the boss, his girlfriend, me, and the dog were are trying to get out the door at the same, I didnt put it back on but carried in a holster to the car, in plain site. Nobody even noticed.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Unless you have a running beef with someone, the problem with flashing your gun while transitioning from outside to inside your car will be a non-issue. People who don't know you will assume you're a cop. Your friends are your friends & won't make life miserable for you.

It's more important to make sure the traffic cop can see the firearm, if that's the law where you are, than it is that Joe Public sees it when he shouldn't.

JMHO

Allan

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I've had a very negative view of traffic cops ever since my late teens and early twenties when I was stopped several times on baseless suspicions and hassled for a half hour minimum each time. Just because I drove Camaros and Firebirds with headers and glass pack mufflers. They were legal, but cop magnets.
One time I had paid a ticket late and one took me downtown for a suspended license - the paid ticket hadn't hit the DMV yet. He pulled me over for going too slowly, after he had been tailgating me for three miles. Then they did a three squad car search of my car. Taught me to be disgusted with them for the rest of my life. Anyway, what's the point here? I wouldn't want another thing for a cop to be able to trump up at his whim and be able to say something like I didn't have my gun out in the open to take me downtown over. The law is stupid. If you were a criminal you couldn't get the permit to begin with. All we need to do here in Florida is tell the officer when they come up to the car that we have a firearm and a permit. That's it.

Uh, no offense to the fine officers who are members here. Just that I have encountered a few who had nothing better to do than hassle a long haired Camaro driving kid.

Best regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
ohio ccw

this little tidbit was just another stumbling block inserted into the bill by the naysayers in the state legislature at the behest of the "unholy triumvirate" of the governor, the attorney general and the state auditor. the three of them have conspired for years to thwart the will of the very people who elected them.
because of term limits, the att gen and state aud are now playing musical chairs and simply running for the office of the other. all three are republicans. as incumbents they each are eligible for another 4 year term. i for one, would vote for o.j. simpson first. any 2nd amendment supporter who votes to return either one to any elected office should be knee capped! luckily, daft cannot run for gov again but rest assured he'll run for some other state or federal office as he's slopped at the public trough all his life. he's never had a real job and is too young to qualify for his taxpayer provided pension. he may lobby some cushy private sector "position" so that he can qualify for social security too. i've seen doorknobs with more ability and "charisma"! daft is such a willy/nilly that i believe he'll let the bill sit and become law thru default rather take a stand one way or another. this clearly shows just how much backbone he has. he felt that the "yeas" would never accept the bill as submitted. now he's caught between a rock and a hard place.
if the bill does become law, don't hold your breath. they're not done with their dirty little tricks yet! :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Re:

bnahlik said:
Flyer, watch out for some idiot flameing Lib. bringing a law suit to block the law like they have here in Missouri. The issue is to come up before the Missouri Supreme Crt. the 22nd of this month.
The state supreme court in New Mexico is hearing their similar challenge today. I expect that in New Mexico, Missouri and Ohio, such challenges will ultimately fail.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
ohio ccw

in ohio, their calumny knows no limit! :evil:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Re:

Jeff Johnson said:
The state supreme court in New Mexico is hearing their similar challenge today. I expect that in New Mexico, Missouri and Ohio, such challenges will ultimately fail.
Aha! The New Mexico Supreme Court upheld NM CCW. It was a quick decision that cannot be appealed.

On to Missouri and then hopefully Ohio and Wisconsin!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
\"THE REST OF THE STORY\"

the legislation for ohio ccw is NOT on the governor's desk yet. the bill has not been signed by the president of the senate nor the speaker of the house.

the stumbling block at this point seems to hinge on public access to lists of permit holders.

taft has said he will not sign the bill without the provision of public access.

after submission of the bill,

the governor has 10 days to sign the bill, veto the bill or allow it to become law without his signature.

speaker of the house Larry Householder, can sit on the bill as long as he wants
and the clock does not start on the 10 days.

there is feeling that there are enough votes to override a veto and taft wants to avoid a showdown with members of his own party.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If only a REAL conservative would run!
I've never encountered a politician that disgusted me more than Taft.
I don't trust myself right now to write much about this, but remember, Ohio produced Howard Metzenbaum... and even HE didn't make me as sick to my stomach as Taft.
I deeply dislike lack of integrity.
I really, really do.
Flyer

1 - 20 of 35 Posts