Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so there's not really a mystery.
BUT, I figure a lot of guys who get an SU-16 aren't aware that the locking system of the AR-15 and SU-16 is EXACTLY the same.
In the area just behind the chamber is the "Star", a series of slots the bolt rotates to lock into. Unless this is cleaned with some regularity, it can become pretty gummy, and eventually lead to malfunctions.
I know most know this already, but for those who don't, let me introduce the AR-15 chamber cleaning brush:

As you can see, there's a stainless "skirt" of bristles that cleans every nook and cranny of the grooves. The best way to use it with the SU, I've found, is to use two sections of G.I. cleaning rod, loosely joined together...

Methods of cleaning vary by user, but I prefer running the brush into the chamber as far as it'll go, then removing it, turning it a bit, and repeating. Some just stick it in and twist in a circle, but I don't think this really does a better job, and doubtless is harder on your brush, not to mention it's HARD to turn!
Fifteen or twenty times should do it. I'd suggest cleaning your chamber at least every 500 rounds.
Also, I get the best results when I use a REAL gun solvent, like Hoppe's No. 9. Break-Free is great, but you want something that's really able to cut through the crud, and Hoppes excels at that.
Flyer

1 - 1 of 1 Posts