Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I got my new P3AT back after factory service the other day and got it out to the range today.

I fired twenty Federal Hydra-Shoks, seventy American Eagle ball, and fifty S&B brass jacketed ball.

There was not a single failure to feed, extract or eject. The brass was going straight back over my head and landing about 8 ft. directly behind me. One bounced off the lens of my shooting glasses and one hit me in the middle of the forehead.

At twenty one feet, I set up two oval 6x9" Shoot-N-See targets and loaded one H.S. from a mag and then loaded the magazine with ball. My first round took out the X in the center, and the other six grouped around 3-1/2".

For the balance of the 140 rounds, most were inside the 9 ring except for four or five toward the end which were still on the target.

The vast majority were in 3 to 3-1/2" groups.

I wondered when I first joined here about a few people posting that the recoil was "smart". I'm a believer. At the beginning it was nothing, but rounds 60 or 70 thru round 140 stung a little.

After the first magazine, the disassembly pin had backed out about .080", I pushed it back. Twice more in the first fifty rounds it backed out a little but after that, no problem.

In toto, I am delighted with this little pocket masterpiece.

Today I was shooting more for function and break-in, but the accuracy is great for me.

Call me a new fan of the P3AT. I like it a LOT.

Rabbi

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Glad it's working for you!
The assembly pin backing out has been a trait of the P-3AT since it first came out. My shooting grip covers the head of the pin, so it's never happened to me...
Anyhow, keep an eye on it, and make sure it never gets more than a small fraction of an inch out. If it does, it's going to begin damaging the recieving hole on the other side of the frame, turning it into an oval.
Not that this happens often!!! It's just something to keep an eye on. Since you don't have any problems with your pistol, let's just KEEP it that way! 8)
Flyer
P.S. I've a feeling the "sharp" recoil you noted is responsible for this happening... just a small price to pay for a gun like the P-3AT!
F.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Rabbi said:
At twenty one feet, I set up two oval 6x9" Shoot-N-See targets and loaded one H.S. from a mag and then loaded the magazine with ball. My first round took out the X in the center, and the other six grouped around 3-1/2".

For the balance of the 140 rounds, most were inside the 9 ring except for four or five toward the end which were still on the target.

The vast majority were in 3 to 3-1/2" groups.
That's impresive shooting! Just for fun, next time try from 10 yards. Those last 9 feet are some long ones.
Hey! Stay out of the Postal Match next year...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cajun,

My son was with me at the range shooting his new Ruger 22-45 and he suggested moving out to ten or even twelve yards next week. He has been shooting with me since he was nine years old (he's 33) and KNOWS what happened today was blind, dumb luck. I am not a great pistol shot for all the rounds I've thrown in my life. I have never shot a snubby like that before.

Rabbi

·
Registered
372 Posts
I know what you mean about really noticing the sharp recoil after about 70 rounds. I've gotten blisters in the web of my hand between thumb and index finger while doing that.

I found two things that helped.
  • Adding the NAA finger rest extension to my magazine helps me keep my grip more firm. It used to be that after each shot, I'd have to readjust my grip a little. With the stylish NAA extension, that no longer happens.

[list:4ea2bc18b8]

[*]Also, when I practice with my P-3AT, I wear a shooting glove to go a little easier on my hands.[/list:u:4ea2bc18b8]This is not my for fun gun. This is the very light and concealable gun to make sure I stay armed when I can't go with my full-sized .40 SW99.

Jeff - Who's still standing in for Wilson in showing off the highly functional and stylish NAA extensions.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Re:

Jeff Johnson said:
Jeff - Who's still standing in for Wilson in showing off the highly functional and stylish NAA extensions.
Hey, no problem until you start "coming out" with P3's in pastel colors...
He does have some very fashionable guns though he claims they're for "the wife"...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Re:

TxCajun said:
Jeff Johnson said:
Hey, no problem until you start "coming out" with P3's in pastel colors...
He does have some very fashionable guns though he claims they're for "the wife"...
My wife has a dark blue P-32. Does that count?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Re:

Jeff Johnson said:
My wife has a dark blue P-32. Does that count?
Yes but only if she has matching shoes and handbag. 8)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
naa extension

some what dillentante-ish to my way of thinking.........rahther like having tea with a british grande dame. the bersa on the other hand, RUGGED, MANLY, NO NONSENSE and built for the LONG HAUL!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
You mean this isn't "rugged, manly, and built for the long haul"?

I dunno... that's a real Stetson, and a gen-u-wyne Hohner Special 20, to boot!!! 8)
Flyer

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
identity theft

oh my gawrsh....... does this mean that somebody elses johnson is hiding in wilson's pants. make him submit fingerprints and a q-tip that has been inserted twixt cheek and gum! :D

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
ah flyer my man. i'd love to have two of those hats! :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts