Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Solved the nose-down feed problem with some of my mags.

Removed spring from mag. Lightly sanded, cleaned and oiled parimeter of follower to remove burrs and casting debris.

Took the uppermost end of the last round of the spring that fits in the front of the follower and, at about half it's length, bent it upwards at 30-degrees. That provided additional lift on the front of the follower.

Problem solved.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, that's one way to do it! Just be sure not to bend the spring in the area it compresses....
Flyer

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
That fix in .40 S&W causes the last two rounds to feed almost straight up. Good luck. P-40 mags stink.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Just curious. Is the nose down feeding causing jams, or does the .357 SIG bottleneck cartridge compensate for it?

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
48 Posts
At least in MY P-357, the nose down attitude is what's causing the jams. On the last magazine I tried, every round jammed. This was an older magazine that came with the P-40 when I purchased it. The newer magazine will still do this on one or two rounds. Usually the first round in the magazine, whether .357Sig or .40S&W.

HTH,

emc

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, that outta fix ya right up...
Now you've gotta deal with your wife. Those scratches on the table are gonna be PLENTY expensive!!!
Flyer

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good photos! BUT, while the use of the spacer indicates to me that this is a Smith & Wesson magazine, which one is it? I have a couple of 4006 magazines using the P-11 fifteen round spacer which I have not taken to the range just yet. Is this what you used?

Thanks,

emc

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the info! Are you also using these mags for the P-40/P-357? The cartridges have enough reflection that I can't tell if they are .357Sig or 9mm.

emc

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
:oops: Actually they are both holding 357SIG. The light makes the top one look like a 40S&W. I have shot the three mags I have done this mod too with 165GDHP 40S&W, 155 FMJ 40S&W, 140 FMJ 357SIG, and 125GDHP 357SIG with 100% reliability. Heck they even feed 9mms. One note if you do the mod EMC use smooth jawed pliers. I had to polish my mag lips after the mod because I used the wrong pliers.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
You mean I made a mi - mis - mis- .
I was in er - erro -erro -.
In other words, I was wr- wr - wro -....
Um...
I mis-spelled .357 Sig. My bad!
Flyer

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Not sure I figured out that mag fix from the pics. I tried bending feed lips on a P-40 mag once and it just cracked. Those are P-11 mags in the pics with a little lip tweaking? What else? I'd like to duplicate it if possible.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

KeysBear said:
Not sure I figured out that mag fix from the pics. I tried bending feed lips on a P-40 mag once and it just cracked. Those are P-11 mags in the pics with a little lip tweaking? What else? I'd like to duplicate it if possible.

Regards, Keys 8)
One is a stock P-11 mag and one is a cheap after market 69 series mag. I tried it on the cheap $5 mag first to make sure it worked then did my stock mag and one of my high caps. Funny thing is my 15 round high cap now is a 12 rounder LOL. I am thinking of doing the mod to two of my Factory smith 69 mags.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
BTW I forgot to say this. I wanted a tight/more permanent fit on the spacer for my P-357 69 series mag. I used a 59 series spacer and fit it to the mag and gun then used two set screws to mag it semi permanent.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to P40/p357.

But what exactly did you do to your mags ?

Did you just open the lips to form a larger "V" in the front ?
Or was there something else ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts