Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a new P-40 (new to ME, that is!). The serial number is 55XXX. Were there any changes or modifications that occurred after that particular number? I've done some checking on this site and the other Kel-Tec website and have not found anything specific. Are there any other sources on this?

Also, someone has installed the belt clip on the pistol, which I'm not crazy about. I've called the factory in order to get the polymer retaining pins for the frame. However, in the meantime, it occurred to me that removing the threaded retaining pins may not be necessary. Is there any reason that I cannot just leave these threaded pins in place, and just use those in place of the polymer pins?

Last, I've tried to remove the assembly pin in order to begin cleaning the pistol. The pins on my P-11 and P-32 are easily removed. This one is not. Using various cartridges to hook into the groove on the upper portion of the assembly pin, I cannot get it to budge. I'm concerned about this, since I don't want to have to really lean into the part and run the risk of damaging something. Am I overlooking something here?
Thanks,

emc

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I gave away my belt clip so I can't tell if the pins will stay in place without the clip. Nothing wrong with your P-40 regarding the assembly pin. You have to pull the slide back a little extra to get them out - which you can do with one hand while you pull out the pin with a casing with the other - right? Sure you can. Don't worry, after another 500 rounds or so it will loosen up and work just fine without having to pull it all the way back.
Somebody else will have to answer if your serial number has the most recent version - not sure when the P-40 was introduced. With that number it will at least have the easier trigger pull.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a followup, I just spoke with Kel-Tec customer service, and they informed me that when I remove the belt clip itself, there is no need to remove the threaded inserts from the belt clip assembly that have replaced the polymer frame retaining pins in the grip. They can remain in the pistol with no adverse effects.

FWIW,

emc

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a follow up on the assembly pin issue, Keys was right! Pulling the slide back about another millimeter or so made the difference. It came right out, at that point. Doesn't make sense to me that the P-40 would differ from the P-11 in this regard, but there you go....

FWIW,

emc

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Re:

emc said:
As a follow up on the assembly pin issue, Keys was right! Pulling the slide back about another millimeter or so made the difference. It came right out, at that point. Doesn't make sense to me that the P-40 would differ from the P-11 in this regard, but there you go....

FWIW,

emc
Yeah, I got quite adept at holding it back with one hand. PITA, ha, ha, but it works.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
60 Posts
That would mean that your 40 slide is an old style which the assembly pins were smaller so the slide stop cutout on the slide wasn't as large, if you examine both slides where the stop catches you will see the difference.

Marty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts