Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Flyer,
I REALLY enjoyed your range report after you bought your first SU-16 and was wondering two things (I'm still thinking about buying an AR-180 but am really intrigued by the new SU-16c):
1) Are you going to give us an update on the last several months of use and the lessons you have learned?
2) When do you think the SU-16c is REALLY going to be offered and what are your initial impressions of it (from the early pics offered by Kel-Tec at the Shot show it looks like a winner)?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Guess I haven't reported much, since I haven't had any problems!
After 1000 rounds or so the barrel really "sets" into place, and you'll be adjusting either your sights or your scope until it reaches it's fixed point... after that, it's not going to move anymore. You can then leave the sights alone.
The SU really, REALLY likes the standard G.I. aluminum 30 round mags best of all. I don't even remember the last time I used one of the factory ones.
The bipod is NOWHERE NEAR as fragile as it seems! When you first handle one, you'll get the impression one good tug will yank it right off the barrel. Not so! It's really VERY rugged, and after about 4,000 rounds total it's still locking up just fine.
Listen to Kel-Tec's advice in the manual about cleaning it thoroughly after 500 rounds: I've got a tendancy to immediately strip a gun down and clean everything, but you DON'T need to with the SU. When you clean it, though, make sure to do a very thorough job, being particularly careful to remove the carbon deposits from the gas piston head. This will have built up into a pretty good 'cake'... scrape it all off.
I've had no malfunctions that weren't directly related to either the ammo or magazines, so in my opinion the rifle is 100% reliable in the role I see it best fulfilling, that of a "Homeland Defense" rifle.
The AR-180 is an appealing rifle: however, it's just not as accurate in my experience as the SU. I'd take the SU over it any day.
As for the new versions... they're looking very nice, particularly the version with the ability to fire with the stock in the folded position. Some folks actually find the SU to have quite a bit of recoil; I don't, but if some people do it must (I'm pretty much inured to recoil anyway). So, the muzzle break may indeed be a nice improvement, as will the new sights. That would be my only genuine criticism of the rifle as it stands now; the front sight is a bit fragile. Not a huge deal, but something to keep an eye on.
Availability: if it follows the pattern of other KT products, I'd expect the first samples to start showing up on dealer's shelves about a month after the release date. One way to ensure you get an early one is to pre-order it, and pay IN FULL. By doing that, you ENSURE you'll get the first one that comes through the door.
It does look, then, like KT has taken an excellent design and made it even better! I'm looking forwards to testing the new ones (and yes, both are pre-ordered and paid for!).
Flyer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Flyer,
Thanks for your quick response and, as usual, good reporting. :D I think you have sold me on the merits of the SU-16 over the AR-180 and I'll be standing in line with you for one of the new SU-16c's.
Keep up the good work!
Tommyhawk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts