Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry:

Just got back from the 1st trip to the range with my new SU-16. Finally traded the Mini-14 for the SU-16. (Wanted something more accurate and that used GI magazines.)

As I sighted in the SU-16, it shot extremely high and right at 100 years. 10 inches right and 5 inches high! (Group was good.) However, moving the sights has been impossible or difficult at best. First, I untightened the phillips screw a lot. Second, the sight hex tool was almost impossible to get into the clear plastic sight hex - it was that tight.

After several attempts to adjust sight and shooting several groups, I could only get groups at 7 inches high and 5 inches right of POA. At that point the phillips screw came off the nut and the hex sight screw would not move. In fact, trying to move it I screwed up the hex shaped piece of plactic in the sights. (That hex key was way too tight - almost didn't fit into the hex slot.) Also, I could not get the front sight blade to move up or down at all. (I had and followed the new sight adjustment instructions from web.)

Now I have a screwed up front sight plastic hex screw, front sight moved as far right as I could get it when phillips screw came out and it still shoots 7 inches high and 5 inches right!

What did I do wrong? Is it possible the entire front sight assembly is slightly off? Other than shipping it back to Kel-Tec any other suggestions? (I hate shipping new guns back).

Thanks

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
zebrajeb,
Your sight assembly itself is most likely fine... the sight blade probably wasn't installed properly.
KT makes several sizes of front sights for the SU... at least they did, cause I've got some!
I'd give Marty a call Monday and tell him what happened... I'm sure he'll have new screws and a couple of different blades out to you right away.
Flyer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re:

Flyer said:
zebrajeb,
Your sight assembly itself is most likely fine... the sight blade probably wasn't installed properly.
KT makes several sizes of front sights for the SU... at least they did, cause I've got some!
I'd give Marty a call Monday and tell him what happened... I'm sure he'll have new screws and a couple of different blades out to you right away.
Flyer
Flyer - I've only read this forum for a couple of days. Who is Marty and how do I give him a call? I certainly hope it is as easy as you say.

Thanks very much!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Marty is Kel-Tec's head gunsmith, and a member of KTRange... his handle is "Bloodwalker".
Give Kel-Tec a call at 1-800-515-9983 and just ask for Marty. I'm sure he'll get you up and running fast!
Flyer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts