Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody here tried tried the "new" polymer-coated Wolf ammo yet? I have used plenty of 7.62x39mm & 5.45x39mm Wolf in my AKs, but I've never shot any of their .223 stuff because of some decidedly mixed reviews on the various boards. The newer stuff is supposed to be better, but - not having used any of the "old" .223 - I don't really know what it's supposed to be better than. :wink:

Any personal experience with this stuff yet?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re:

Midiman said:
I wouldn't let it within 20 feet of my ARs... but that's just me.
I wouldn't say "that's just you" - I've read similar opinions on Arfcom about both the new & old Wolf ammo. But I've also read the same thing regarding their Soviet-caliber ammo too & I've never experienced any problems with those, which is why I'm asking the question. Have you had bad personal experiences, or are you going by word-of-mouth or observed problems? (Not casting any aspersions either way - try as I might, I certainly am not able to base EVERY decision I make exclusively on personal experience. Far from it. :D )

I guess I've just been willing to take chances with my AKs (reliable workhorses that they are) that I am much more hesitant to take with my ARs & other 5.56mm/.223 rifles...

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I use Wolf 5.45 in my SAR all the time!
It's the only ammo for it I can find around here...
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
My SUB loves wolf. My S&W 59 loves wolf. Most of my other 9mm's don't like it. Shot 20 rounds thru the AR the other day and noted sticky extracton but with zero failures. It works if that is all you have but brass rocks.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
shoot wolf through my encore when i only got a few bucks and cant get White Box. groups suprisingly not to bad. will do about 2 in at a hundred.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I shoot polymer wolf exclusively through my 9mm Sub and Bushmaster AR for plinking ammo and have not had a single problem in over 500+ rounds in either rifle. The issues with the old laquer sticking to the barrel were with folks using tight 223 match chambers instead of 5.56 chrome. All Russian 223/5.56 ammo is made to function in military 5.56 chrome lined chambers, and will do so just fine. The polymer stuff is better than the laquer, no more melting of the case coating when the gun gets hot and the polymer is more slippery than brass.

And your chamber, no matter what type, is much harder in comparision to the steel case (covered in polymer), so unless you shoot 10k rounds through your gun, I doubt you will ever notice any increased wear over brass casings.

223 wolf is underpowered, though, and I don't use it for defense.

Dunno about 9mm power, but I use HP in that caliber for defense

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
As a point of information the SU does not have a chrome lined barrel.

Personally, why risk it when you can get Mil-Spec XM193 a superior round in every way for less money... :?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re:

stevil said:
Personally, why risk it when you can get Mil-Spec XM193 a superior round in every way for less money... :?

Stevil, I just went to Ammoman.com and he has XM193 55gr. FMJ for $119/500 rounds. That's $.20/round. The Wolf 55gr. JHP polymer coated ammo is $129.95/1000 rounds. That's $.10/round. He also has Wolf 62gr. FMJ for $125/1000. That's about $.10/round also.

I'm not arguing in favor of Wolf as I have not fired it before (heard too many horror stories), I just wanna know where you are getting XM193 for cheaper.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
:oops: Guess math has never been my strong point :shock: LOL!

"Thunk!"

Did you hear that? That was the sound of me falling of my high horse. :lol:

BTW: I have used ammoman but have found a local source at $3 a box. I still don't like Commie ammo mind. Sorry, I'm just sayin'...

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
only commie ammo I like in my AR is Silver Bear. The wolf worked ok but seemed to have sticky extraction. Go figure. Like that $3 a box ammo though!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yeah, yeah I hear you, gimme a break! :lol:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I found Federal/Lake City Mil-Spec XM 193 for 100 bucks per 500 rounds and Wolf .223 for 80 bucks per 1000. I dont think you can get anything cheaper than Wolfbut let me know if you do. Found this at
http://www.gunsamerica.com/9100/9100-random-2.htm

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I bought a fairly "sizable" arsenal from them BUT that's all I've every used them for. I'll look up their phone # as they're, erm, unusual. Infact let me ask 'em first before I do that, he's kinda, er, well let me ask 'em first. :?

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

MRW said:
And your chamber, no matter what type, is much harder in comparision to the steel case (covered in polymer), so unless you shoot 10k rounds through your gun, I doubt you will ever notice any increased wear over brass casings.
I don't think the chamber was ever in peril... it's the smaller parts... extractors, ejectors, bolt faces, etc... that are prone to wear and breakage from steel cased ammo.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re:

stevil said:
:oops: Guess math has never been my strong point :shock: LOL! "Thunk!" Did you hear that? That was the sound of me falling of my high horse. :lol:
Stevil, Stevil, Stevil, I certainly hope that thunk was you falling and not being thrown. That wasn't my intention behind writing that post. I just wanted to be able to buy at whatever price you were buying. There is one place locally where I can get them as well, the problem is that after they pissed me off, I promised them that I would never spend another dime there...DAMN sticking to your word SUXXXXX!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You don't have to stick to my word, I just like good ammo.

Okay so I just called the store, LOL...

Stevil: "Hello, do you sell ammo mail order?"
Store: "What do you mean?"
Stevil: "Can you send ammo purchased through the post?"
Store: "Why?"
Stevil: "I have friends out of the area who'd like to purchase some ammo"
Store: "Hold on let me check"
1 minute later
Store: "What you want?"
Stevil: "I have friends out of the area and outta' State who'd like to purchase some ammo"
Store: "Which one"
Stevil: "the Federal XM193 5.56 military surplus"
Store: "huh?"
Stevil: "It's by the front door on the left, second shelf next to the korean 30 odd 6"
Store: "Hold on"
2 minutes later
Store: "Hello"
Stevil: "Yes, hello"
Store: "Yeah, you'd have trouble paying for it unless you sent a cashiers check, we don't take credit cards over the phone"
Stevil: "Oh, I see"
Store: "It's very heavy you know, how much do they want?"
Stevil: "You know I think it'll be too difficult, thank you anyway"
Store: "Yeah, you could come and buy it and send it to them"
Stevil: "I could, thanks for your time, thank you."

As I said... unusual! :roll: I found some other source's btw...
http://www.dealerease.net/catalog/product.asp?pid=1010956&ret_id=373508
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976327513.htm
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=141936
http://www.ammunitionplus.com/

EDIT And another, the cheapest I think but them again me n' math!? :lol:
http://www.outdoormarksman.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=23&osCsid=61b2cfb820b627ff0819de66bd6ef4bf

1 - 20 of 23 Posts