Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After missing my chance to buy one last weekend (walked into the local store 5 minutes too late to get the only one they had), I managed to buy one this morning (showed up 2 minutes after the store opened, and bought the one they had received yesterday).

I put 30 rounds through it to identify any problems, and surprised myself by not having a single failure to feed or eject (my P11 had feed problems before the fluff & buff). It also appears to be more accurate than my P11 (probably due to the lighter trigger). I did have a problem with the pin walking, even though it has the new style pin and the retaining spring looks like it's working correctly. All ejected cases landed on the roof of the shed behind me. And it does have a problem with smilies.

So, it looks like I need to...

do a rampectomy,
do a light fluff & buff,
slot the assembly pin,
and either buy a handall jr, or make a poorman's grip sleeve.

Thanks to everyone involved, for the information provided on this forum.

Now where did I put those needle files...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rampectomy helped, but didn't completely eliminate the problem. I think I'll wait and see how it does after the fluff & buff, before doing any more work on the ramp.

The slot in the pin stopped the walking. I made the slot in the head a little wide for a small screwdriver, but a .380 case rim fits perfectly (I meant to do that... Really, I meant to do that).

The poorman's grip sleeve fits better than I expected, but I've still got to find some surgical tubing to add more cushion.

Now if the days would hurry up and get long enough for some testing after I get home from work...

G

·
I noticed recently that I purchased a Sig P229RDAK. It's brand new DAO from Sig. Anyway, I noticed that they have a rampectomy done to their pistol. I guess they did that to compete with KT. Unless maybe Flyer has licensed his talents to OTHERS?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
glad to see a good attitude!!
Thanks. Everybody has to have a hobby. Mine tend to involve tinkering with various things to see how much I can improve them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm...

My new Taurus 911 (since they had just sold the last P-3AT, I had to find something to buy) doesn't have a rampectomy, but I hadn't thought to check to see if it needed one.

More testing!

Anybody know of a website that gives instructions for complete disassembly of the Taurus 911? (I think the Kel-Tec forums are starting to spoil me.) :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's fairly simple to do. Just use the large dremel cutting wheel, instead of the small (thin) dremel wheel. Then make your first cut slightly off center, and correct the off center slot by widening it until it's centered.

Don't know if I could do it again, but it fit perfect on the first try (or second try, if you count the attempt to use the small screwdriver). :oops:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yeah, I use the rim of a .32 case to turn it on my P-32 also, I did not shape it to fit, but it works... :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been using an Uncle Mikes pocket holster, with some pieces of foam rubber added to keep the muzzle from moving around and to help breakup the outline. It's comfortable, but I'll probably be switching to a better holster at some point in the future.

The weather was so nice this weekend, that I spent most of it clearing brush and moving dirt. Maybe I'll be able to find the time to get some more testing done next weekend. :?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I finally got some decent weather when I had time to do some test firing. Using FMJ rounds, I chambered the first round, removed the magazine, pushed the top round back into position, reinserted the magazine, and fired one shot. I then removed the magazine and cleared the chamber. The round that had been chambered had just a faint hint of a smiley. Success! Or so I thought. To be sure, I put the slightly smilied round in the top of the magazine, then repeated the procedure *without* pushing the top round back after chambering a round. This time I had a definite smiley. Not as bad as the smilies I had been getting, but a definite smiley.

Looks like I've got to take some of the slick off of the inside of the magazine lips.

With a little more work, I've gotten the Uncle Mike's pocket holster fitting pretty well, as long as I don't use the Bersa finger extension on the carry magazine. And my idea for a modified pocket holster, to cover the Bersa extension, turned out to be just a little too big for my pockets. Oh well, the Bersa extensions work pretty well for range use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts