Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to take the new P-11 to the range. I did the full fluff and buff except for the trigger job. I shot 200 rounds and only had one jam with the standard 10 round mag. I had purchased a 15 round S&W mag, I'm ashamed to admit, I paid 60 bucks for the thing also bought the spacer. Not one round fed into the gun. Na-ry a one. I tried about 5 times and not one fed. I notice the spring tension on the ten round mag is about 4 times the tension on the 15 rounder. Is there a fix for this, I seem to recall some discussion on this subject. Should I just swap it for a couple of ten rounders and be done with it?

Anyhoo, I was impressed with the accuracy of the thing. After getting used to the trigger pull and staging the trigger, I was able to make nice tight groups at 15 feet. This was better than expected. I now see why the trigger shoe is a must. Next order of business is a full trigger job.

Anyway, had a hell of a good time. It was nice to shoot something that offered a challenge. Many thanks to all the guys on this board. This has been really fun.

Eric Henson

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
s&w hi cap mags

that's strange. i have 4 s&w 12 rndrs. that work perfectly and yes the darned things are expensive. i have put new extra strength wolff springs in mine. how does yours work removing the ammo by hand? are yours series #59? :?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, the guy said it was a 5900 series mag. It locks perfectly and looks identical. But the spring is way wimpy. I'm pretty sure thats the problem. Any info on getting a meaner spring?

I asked around for 12 round clips and two gun stores told me there weren't such a critter. Am I missing something? Maybe I'm just dealing with Florida voters?

Sure apreciate the help

Eric

G

·
I replaced my P11 mag springs with Wolff springs. I also replced my recoil and firing pin spring with Wolff also. I like the reduction in recoil and my mags work better but there is a noticable rattle in the magazines with the Wolff springs that was not there before. Come to think of it there is a noticable rattle in all of the mags that I have replaced with Wolff springs (when loaded).

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Re:

norfdet893 said:
I like the reduction in recoil and my mags work better but there is a noticable rattle in the magazines
Oh, that rattle just means you finally got them working correctly. Think of it as positive feedback.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Not sure if this has been noted but the 12 rounders are 69 series and the 15 are 59 series. I know of two perfect 12 rounders going for 25 each the last time I was at a local shop. PM if anyone wants them at cost and shipping. I'll go get em for ya. Of course you should know if High Caps are legal in your area first. :lol:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Not to take advantage of a newbie but if interested I would trade one of my 12 rounders for your 15 if it is a true Smith and Wesson factory mag. :D

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Re:

Gun_Nut_2k1 said:
Not to take advantage of a newbie but if interested I would trade one of my 12 rounders for your 15 if it is a true Smith and Wesson factory mag. :D
Gun_Nut,

Speaking of mags, may I jog your memory?

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
S&W 69 series

that's a good price on the mags. last one i bought from CDNN was $50.00 with shipping. prices may come down all over when AWB sunsets. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most of the S&W mags you find (M59-15 round, and M-69-12 round) tend to have fairly weak springs, I don't know if they were manufactured that way, or weakened over time......I find that if I load 5-7 rounds, they work ok, but if I top them off, I get a FTF halfway through the mag (usually).
I always replace the springs with +10% Wolff springs, and problems go away.

I paid $25 for my latest S&W M69 (12 round) mag at a gun show here in central Fla three weeks ago....(real S&W, barely used)...look around, they are not that rare.

Be sure to get the factory S&W mags (look for a small "s" near the bottom) they tend to work best in P11s, I have heard that some people have had problems with some of the aftermarket mags not fitting properly.., Replace the springs, and you will be a happy camper....
:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New Springs

This is an incomplete update, I bought the Wolff spring for the 15 round mag. Good grief, they have mastered overkill. Its 40% longer than the wussy thing that it came with, the spring diameter is twice what was in there and there are 4 more coils. This sucker means bidness. Now that I'm done being blown around by that damn Frances maybe I can go have a little fun. I'll try to make it to the range before Ivan the terrible comes ashore. "Hey, move to Florida, weathers great. Guess I shouldn't bitch, my house is untouched never even lost power, the rest of the place is a freaking wreck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, finanally got time to go to the range. Replaced the wimpy spring in my 15 round mag with a big mean Wolff spring and that fixed er right up. Fires with the mag full, fired a bunch with it almost empty, no difference. The spring did the trick. I fired ball and semi-wad cutters, 150 rnds fired and not one misfire. I'm extremely happy with this little inexpensive gun. The fluff and buff with the springs is definitely the trick.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Re:

Gun_Nut_2k1 said:
Going out ASAP. Sorry Sir.
Got the package a few days back - thanks.

Regards, Keys 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts