Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought an P-11 used from a friend. He bought it in 2003, i have the receipt. Great condition, only like 20 rounds thru it. So i fired it for the first time yesterday, with Winchester 124gr. white box fmj. Ran about 2 clips thru it. Several jams occured. One FTE. The shell wasnt completly chambered, but fired, then wouldnt come out. Im not sure if it expanded? Mabey i wasnt gripping it tight enough? Mabey i accidently hit the mag release and locked it back in without knowing it, causing it to not feed correctly? I plan on trying other ammo when time/money allow. I will also add a handall jr, mag extension and trigger shoe.
I really dont want to do a fluff and buff, i dont trust myself. Any ideas??

My friend had been using PMC, no troubles. THANKS!!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
A basic fluff and buff won't hurt your pistol in the slightest; you'll only be using very fine grit sandpaper (400-600 grit), and a Dremel if you want that supermodel shine.
Just polish the feedramp and chamber... I'm betting this'll improve your pistol's performance greatly!
Flyer

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I highly suggest the fluff and buff. Or, you can keep shooting it for another 300 rounds and see if it doesn't smooth itself out.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Definitely polish up that feed ramp. Makes a world of difference! And clean & lube after every outing.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the info. Yeah i guess ill give the F&B a shot when i get a chance. Its just sittin in the safe until i get the money to get my Concealed Permit. I just need to make more money, got too much stuff to buy. :roll:

My father in law who ownes a P32 and was with me when i was shooting the P11 thinks it was an ammo issue. Could it be? Any better FMJ ammo i should be using for practice? Tell ya what, that one shell got stuck in there good.. had to stick a screwdriver down the barrell to push it out. We used a mirror to make sure the round had indeed fired.

Thanks again! :drink:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I highly doubt ammo was the problem. Sounds like your chamber is pretty rough. A thorough polishing is definitely in order.
Flyer

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright, you've talked me into it. But if i break anything, i'll be ever so upset.
Im sure i can figger it out. sandpaper is my friend. that and really big hammers, but thats another subject all together. muhaha

by the way, im new here. How yall doin?

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
packin heat,
Welcome. Life is good. Light sanding with 600 grit sandpaper is not going to hurt anything. Polish up the feed ramp with it until you get a nice shine. Roll some sandpaper into a dowel and lightly sand the inside of the chamber too. If you want to get fancy use a Dremel and some jeweler's rouge. My entire P-11 barrel shines like a mirror - well almost.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how far into the chamber do i go? (i.e. where the chamber ends and barrel begins - will i be able to tell?) im not new to guns, but im new to taking them apart / working on them. im more of a classic car/motorcycle guy.

Thanks for all the help!

p.s. flyer - what do you think of that vanilla pepsi???

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Vanilla Pepsi will do in an emergency, like when I'm out of Vanilla Coke... Usually, though, I just drink Cherry Coke 'till I've got my stock of Vanilla replenished!
Polish the chamber right up to the rifling. Be sure to move the rod with the sandpaper in and out like an actual case; don't "twirl" it in the chamber! This'll just make things worse.
Go from 400 to 600 grit, then finish off with fine steel wool or a dremel.
Flyer

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, thanks. i think i can do that. its just a matter of time / money. so much going on right now.

i usually drink rootbeer, unless i need some energy, then its mountain dew all the way! add in a couple of twinkies and im annoyingly perky all day!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey Keys, where do you get your 600-grit sandpaper? I went to The Home Depot yesterday and the finest they had was 400. I used that on the exposed portion of the barrel and followed it up with a little rubbing compound, but I still don't have that mirror-like finish that I want.

·
Registered
205 Posts
any decent auto parts store should have 600 and even 1000 (I've seen 2000 or maybe 1500 there, but not often). It is used for auto body paint work more than home improvement :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Eastwood Company (www.eastwood.com) has everything from 36 grit to 2000 grit. They specialize in automotive tools and body repair stuff. Its a toy catalog for car guys!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AND car gals!

i think i covered that rather well!

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Re:

ddflorida said:
Hey Keys, where do you get your 600-grit sandpaper? I went to The Home Depot yesterday and the finest they had was 400. I used that on the exposed portion of the barrel and followed it up with a little rubbing compound, but I still don't have that mirror-like finish that I want.
Ouch, don't use 400. Discount Auto Parts locally, or Pep Boys - might even find it in the automotive section at Wally World. I'm Dremel spoiled now - my barrels look like polished platinum since I've become a fearless maniac with jeweler's rouge and the nylon brush tips. Does anybody remember my hedge clippers post? A maniac I tell ya.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where does one go to purchase Jeweler's Rouge? an arts and crafts store?? ive never looked for it before. I have used it in high school in a jewelry class. I do have a dremel, i love it (is there anything it cant do??)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, i wonder...could you use automotive polishing compound instead of jewelers rouge??? i have some of that. but i dont want to be the first to try it. :wink:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, automotive compound is just fine!
Dremel makes their own compound... look for it with the Dremel accessories.
Flyer

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They do? sweet. Some of that mag wheel polishing compound works really well. Meguires and Mothers makes some good stuff.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts