Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, mPy name is lee. This is my first time on this forum, I signed up because I bought a p40 from a buddy yesterday. Snagged it for $100 because the back sight broke off and he didn't want to get it fixed. All original and in great condition including the mag. (Except the rear sights)

I had a couple questions, has anyone got any great night sights that fit good on a stock p40? Can you link me a good pair?
Also, what is the serial number range on these guns?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The only sight maker making night sights for the P-11 is XS Sight Systems.
Link: XS Sight Systems - Sights

You can use the options at the link above to find them. Notice that they require cutting a dovetail in the P-11 slide.

Big Dot 24/7 Express
Front Tritium, Rear Tritium
Part Number: KT-0001S-5 @ $120

Standard Dot 24/7 Express
Front Tritium, Rear Tritium
Part Number: KT-0001S-6 @ $120

Unfortunately, with labor to cut the dovetails, the total cost is out of my range.

I saw some pictures posted by a well heeled guy on the KahrTalk.com forum and they look very nice.
Link: XS big dots vs. standard dots - KahrTalk Forums
You might have to log in to KahrTalk to see all of the pictures there.

But, here is a teaser: View attachment 2837

If you decide to do it, we will look forward to seeing your pictures here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I just ordered some p11 sights for now off the kel Tec site for around $14 shipped. Hopefully those work good.

I still might try those night sights though, thank you!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Glad we could help! You certainly can't beat Kel-Tec's pricing.

Some people have experienced difficulty making the plastic rear sight stay in place in the dovetail. You should be fine if you are careful to preserve the tight fit in the rear dovetail while you are installing them. After mounting, once you are sure they are positioned to your liking, a little medium strength (blue) Locktite is probably a good idea, as it is with many dovetailed sights.

Here's hoping you enjoy your remarkable pistol bargain for a long time to come. Just be sure to hang on tight. "Fotay" is a "snappy" round and failure to grip firmly with locked wrists will result in all kinds of failures to extract and failures to feed . . . all the result of a relaxed grip. In fact, the tendency for a perfectly good P40 to end up back at the factory for a variety of feeding and extracting issues because people didn't hang on tight enough is the main reason Kel-Tec stopped selling them. They are great pistols, once you master that trigger . . . which is going to take several hundred rounds, or at least it did for me. :D

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
297 Posts
not a bad deal for a great gun. you got yourself a hand full, so hold on. the p40 is a fun gun to shoot and makes a great carry gun. most don't like the p40 because they are such a hand full when shooting. the reason kel tec stopped making them is people were limp wristing them and sending them back for repair. kel tec can not repair limp wristing. they are not a range gun, but a carry gun. if you want to double your money let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
P-40 is the only gun I carry, have three, one replaced the one that was stolen, one goes with me when I'm on the scooter and one for a parts gun. Gotta love'em. BTY I fitted mine with laser lite $90 laser both on right side of slide, works great.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
P-40 is the only gun I carry, have three, one replaced the one that was stolen, one goes with me when I'm on the scooter and one for a parts gun. Gotta love'em. BTY I fitted mine with laser lite $90 laser both on right side of slide, works great.

Surprise! A PF-9 Laserlyte looks like a nice addition to a P-11 or P-40. Thanks for sharing! :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have shot derringers that kicked a lot more than a P-40.
I have shot Glocks that kicked a lot more than a P-40.
When you shoot your P-40, hold it TIGHT, and squeeze, not jerk.
The double action trigger is long, like a six shot revolver not cocked.
That's all!
Go shoot it and report back,,,,,

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I've been told that laser will fit a P11. Laserlyte says it won't. Got any lyte to shed on that?
Did you watch the YouTube video in one of the previous posts? ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts