Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post and I wanted to introduce myself. My wife and I have had our concealed carry permits for just over four years. We each have a P32s. I just bought a new P11 and we are going to the range tomorrow to shoot it for the first time. We try to get to the range at least once a month. I am looking forward to asking lots of questions on mods and carry options for the P11. Thanks.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
kt3211,
Welcome to the Range! Glad to have you.
Let us know how your new pistol works out!
Flyer

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trip to range with new P11

My wife and I had a great trip to the range this morning. We fired our carry guns (P32) for some much needed practice and to make sure they function properly. Then, we fired 200 rds through the new P11. We were using 124gr white box Winchester ball. It had two failure to eject early on, but no problems later. It seems to shoot a little low and to the right, but it could be me and that long trigger pull. I am having a big problem now and hope someone can help. I can't get the gun back together after cleaning it. Something is keeping the barrel from going forward far enough in the slide to insert the take down pin. If I leave the recoil spring and guide out I can get the pin in, so there is something about the spring and guide that is causing the problem. If anyone can help it will save the embarassment of going back to the gun store with my new gun in pieces. Thanks

G

·
it is probably a simple fix like you are not seating the recoil spring and guide rod snugly into the slot in the underside of the barrel. Or, it could be that you need to pull the slide back about a quarter of an inch and seat the barrel and the pin will slide into place. My bet would be that the recoil spring and guide rod are not seated properly. I am sure that Flyer or someone else will chime in here shortly. Other than that, Welcome to the board. You have come to the right place for KT questions. Try to re-seat the aforementioned and see how that works. If not come back we will come up with something else....

Regards

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The best way to reassemble your P-11 is this:
Fit the barrel and recoil spring into the slide, making sure the base of the guide rod is fully down into it's recess inside the chamber area of the barrel.
Now, insert the slide onto your frame, run it all the way back, and lock it in place.
This should leave your barrel poking through it's hole, at least a little. Grab the end, and pull forwards, hard. Some P-11s are kind of tight when new; I suspect yours is one of them.
Anyhow, after some energetic tugging, you should be able to get the barrel far enough forwards to insert the pin.
Flyer

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reassymbly, still trying

I am still trying to get this gun back together, no luck so far. The P11 seems to go together just like the P32, just on a larger scale. I put the barrell into battery in the slide with the slide upside down. Then I insert the recoil spring and guide with the small end of the guide through the corresponding hole in the front of the slide. Then I compress the spring and put the "nail head" end into the notched out place on the barell lug. When the slide is returned to the rail and pushed back the recoil spring assemble is transfered to a block in the gun body which releases the tension on the barell. The problem is the barell will not go forward in the slide far enough to allow the take-down pin to go between the barell lugs. The recoil spring and guide seem to be in the way. Without the spring ass'y I can insert the take-down pin correctly. Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Flyer, It worked

I was typing away explaining the problem and you had already posted the solution. A good hard pull on the barrel did the trick. You saved me an embarassing trip to the gun store.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Glad it worked for you.
This should become easier and easier as you put rounds through your pistol, until a simple tilt forwards is enough to move the barrel enough.
Good luck, and good shooting!
Flyer

·
Registered
519 Posts
i had the same problem, so dont feel bad. i bought my P11 used from a friend with only about 20 rounds thru it. I had to give mine a tug to get it lined up. (after spending 20 minutes thinking it was too far forward and using a flashlight thinking i was blind to not see the hole :oops: )

·
Registered
153 Posts
Puttin' the P11 back together.

Don't feel bad. I tried and tried when my P11 was new and after an hour I did the embracing thing. Went back to the dealer and he had trouble too. It was tight but after about 2000 rounds now through, it no trouble. Flyer's explanation helped me out, too, back then. Had no trouble after finding out how to do it. It is good to have this list. Questions answered. Problems solved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.