Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my first makarov it was the only one the store said they had in stock! ( in a pigs eye ) I really wasn't fond of it that much due to the wear!.

Today I went back in the store looking for some ammo and just glanced over to the counter and their set about 8 brand new makarovs for the $149.00 I paid for the used one that I bought.

I ran back home and took the used one that I bought back to the store and after raising cane I exchanged it for a new one!.

This gun was packed with grease, after cleaning it up it is a real beauty!.

The serial numbers on the right side start with, IM 38 ++++
next to the slide release it has a circle with the number 10 stamped in it, on the right side it says, PW ARMS REDMOND WA 9x18M BULG.

It also came with 2 magizines, a pair of black grips on it with a thumb rest, and a pair of brown grips with a star on them, it also came with a cleaning rod and gun lock.

I can't believe that you can actually buy these for only $149.00, buy the looks of it you would think it would at least sell for $350.00 up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I love my Makarov. They're inexpensive, reliable, and accurate.

I just ordered myself a tuckable inner waistband holster and am planning on using it as my CCW gun when the state of Ohio finishes processing my CCW application.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Actually, some of the dealers MAY be telling the truth when they say that's the last one, but then have new ones the next day, here in Ohio... a whole BUNCH of these Maks come from SOG (Southern Ohio Gun).
Flyer

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
So far I've seen two kinds of Maks - the ones with lots of finish worn off, and the nearly perfect ones. Funny how the price doesn't change much on the worn ones.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yeah, same here...
There are VERY FEW Maks, it seems to me, out there with only finish wear on the sharp edges and other high points...
It's either real holster wear or the gun looks pristine. BUT, inside they look almost the same.
Methinks I'm going to take a good smell of the next perfect one I see... something gives me the feeling we've got a bit of "unofficial" rebluing going on here.
Flyer

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perfect Mak

Flyer,

If you want a perfect Makarov come here to Hebron Ohio at Buckeye Outdoors, they did have 7 perfect ones left after I bought my perfect one, only thing that looks reblued might be the hammer and decocker.

They are on sale at $149.00 until May, their phone number is 740-928-fish.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buckeye Outdoors

Also! Buckeye Outdoors has the CZ for $129.00 and the so called polish never issued for $169.00 sell ends May

G

·
Well I finally broke down and picked up a Makarov. I have noticed that they seem to be disappearing and the price is going up. I picked this one up in a trade so it didn't really cost me anything. It is a Bulgarian Makarov with 1 matching magazine and an additional one. I also scored 2 boxed of Hornady 9X18 JHP's and about a box and a half of Wolff JRN. I shot this one some time ago and I think that is when I decided that I had to have one. The double action trigger is freakin horrible but I read somewhere that it will get better with time. I am not sure what I will use this one for, it may be a travel gun. Now I need a good source for extra magazines.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
i couldn't be happier with my mak. this is the third i've owned. the first flyer put me on and we met when i bought it. it was in great shape. the second i found in a shop in massillon oh. an ij70 in fair shape. i traded it for a "new in box" bulgie from akron armory. it was packed full of cosmoline and wrapped in wax paper with 2 matching ser. no. mags. i soaked it in a bucket of kerosene and blew it out with starting fluid and it is spotless. i keep it on a table in my room downstairs and dry fire it a couple of hundred times in the evening as i watch tv. i would guess i have cycled it 2/3000 times and the trigger has smoothed out nicely. i have a pearce grip on it which makes it a lot more comfortable to shoot. i've fired barnaul 95 gr., wolf 95gr and brown bear 115 gr. (all hp's) with never a problem. i prefer the 115's. they're a heck of a lot of gun for the money. i got the brown bears from og but havn't had any luck in finding them around here. not really a problem as i still have 500 rnds. of barnaul to shoot up. i have seen mak mags at gun shows for as little as $6.00. www.makarov.com has anything you need. norf, i just checked and mak.com has new bulgie mags. at $14.00 each. one more thing. get a mag loader! i absolutely have never owned a gun with a mag that is harder to load. i think they use springs out of a model A ford.

G

·
I would love to find one of the double stack Mak's with a couple of mags. The few that I have seen have been upwards of 300.00. For that price there are a few other pistols that I would rather have.

On a side note, I do have a line of a Browning Hi-Power. It has been tuned by Wayne Novak, has 3 hi-cap mags, low profile sights and a nice IWB holster. The seller wants 700.00 for it. I am going to look at it tomorrow. It is probably not worth that much by itself but I am sure that Novak carry packages are not cheap and if it is the holster that I am thinking of, it cost upwards of 100.00 when he bought it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My Makarov is/was Bulgarian. Nicely finished with plum brown hammer and decocker. They just have good feel about them in the hand. They are compact but hefty. I do not like the pistol as my #1 hideaway gun. But it is my sentimental favorite at #2. They are a little cranky to reassemble the slide. In my opinion. I might like one of those $149 pistols.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
no and i bet you know the reason. the p3at is just so suited to my pocket that it supercedes any other and i don't believe the 9x18 is that much of a superior round if at all. that said, i have no qualms regarding the reliability. it is just too large in comparison. if i were carrying in a belt holster i would feel very much at ease. at this point i am looking forward to getting my krispee kreme hooks on a pf9 and may go to an iwb carry. i am much more accurate with the mak even with the miserable sights. i'll just have to make sure to wear my glasses with which i often go without. but then i'm not sure if that is germane at the range it would probably be used. my distance vision is pretty good and i can still shoot skeet, but out to about 3 feet i have real problems. at the range i see the sights well with 3 power reading glasses but then i can't see the target. i have never had a gun with first class sights on it. the XD that i handled had nice bright 3 dots and were a revelation. i have never been comfortable with my prescription bi focals. i have an appt. with the optometrist in about a week and am going to discuss the problem with him. one other thing, i think the issue grips are useless. it's just too nice a gun at the price to go without. i do like the s/a d/a action more than the dao.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Byron, one of these days we'll get together at a range with my Les Baer 1911. Then you can enjoy some of those "World class sights"! *)
Flyer

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The CZ 82-83 is an absolutely superb pistol, one of the world's best. I like the version in .32 ACP with fifteen shot magazines - a "Wonder .32"! *)
Flyer

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
byron,
Thanks for the tip on the Bulgie Mak mags from Makarov.com. I ordered three this morning, Now I'll have three mags each for my two Maks.

Regards, Keys *)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
why didn't you order a couple for norf? i thought you ministrators stuck together.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.